Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 08:33 PM

Loaded gun on tailgate, dog jumps up on tailgate, human shot in the leg:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc.../ar-BBS0HRw?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=1PRCDEFE
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:27 PM

Sad, not the first time that has happened. Other folks have died the same way.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:36 PM

Scary
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:44 PM

That’s awful, could you imagine talkin to the cops?

LEO: do you know who may have done this?
Victim: yeah my dog shot me!
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:46 PM

That is my biggest fear when hunting with dogs.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:56 PM

That is my biggest fear when hunting with dogs.

Only keep the gun loaded when it's under your control in your hands. I hunted pheasants long ago in S. Dakota with an outfitter that had this rule. The guides would watch the guns like hawks. If a gun was set down while loaded - you'd get scolded. I've done this for years now.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 09:59 PM

I know two guys personally that have been involved in gun safety related accidents in the second half of 2018. Both were shot in the hand when the gun went off. Can't be too careful when firearms are involved.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/09/19 10:03 PM

Dang! That is sad.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/10/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Dang! That is sad.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 12:12 PM

#1 rule, always point gun in safe direction.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
#1 rule, always point gun in safe direction.

Guess he missed the part about there is no safe direction.. LSU football player. bolt
Posted By: garrett

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 04:10 PM

last 2 accidental discharges I have read about have been by labs....notice you never see a chessie screwing up like that
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 04:26 PM

Gun safety folks!!! Gun safety!!! Unload the freakin' gun in that situation. It takes 2 seconds to load it and be ready again.

"...a Labrador retriever named Tito, jumped in the bed of the Ranger. As he walked around finding a place to sit, he stepped on the safety of Branch's shotgun and pulled the trigger." The dog did both? Really!
Posted By: RayB

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by garrett
last 2 accidental discharges I have read about have been by labs....notice you never see a chessie screwing up like that

So when chessies do it it's on purpose? rifle

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RayB

Not sure of the breed here but it hit the reverse while owner was launching. They are up to something.

Posted By: garrett

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by RayB

just dont piss em off clap
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Sad, not the first time that has happened. Other folks have died the same way.

Yup lucky he is not dead or more guys dead. Not that hard to unload in the blind and pack gun in case. Would have solved this issue as always.

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Gun safety folks!!! Gun safety!!! Unload the freakin' gun in that situation. It takes 2 seconds to load it and be ready again.

"...a Labrador retriever named Tito, jumped in the bed of the Ranger. As he walked around finding a place to sit, he stepped on the safety of Branch's shotgun and pulled the trigger." The dog did both? Really!

Yeah, the gun should have been unloaded for sure. They were done hunting and an unattended gun was left loaded. Any number of ways that could have been an accident, including one of the other guys picking it up and accidentally hitting the safety/trigger.

On another forum, someone went to great lengths to say untrained dogs while hunting are a huge issue and this dog shot the guy. It was really sad reading this guy blame the dog and the dog’s owner when the person responsible for the gun didn’t follow simple rules and guidelines forsafe gun handling.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/11/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

sad reading this guy blame the dog and the dog’s owner when the person responsible for the gun didn’t follow simple rules and guidelines for safe gun handling.

Bingo.
Posted By: JLW13

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/12/19 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Greg

sad reading this guy blame the dog and the dog’s owner when the person responsible for the gun didn’t follow simple rules and guidelines for safe gun handling.

Bingo.

Exactly

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/13/19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JLW13

Bingo.

Exactly

Guys, y'all do realize he is quoting someone else from another forum who could be trolling right... The guy was out of it the second it happened. Pretty bad deal and would have died except for quick action and luck. Unload the gun everytime you aren't holding it.

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by JLW13

Bingo.

Exactly

Guys, y'all do realize he is quoting someone else from another forum who could be trolling right... The guy was out of it the second it happened. Pretty bad deal and would have died except for quick action and luck. Unload the gun everytime you aren't holding it.

I thought long and hard about whether the other person was trolling. I don’t think he was, but if I’m wrong, it was the most dedicated and best performance I’ve ever seen on the internet. It went on for days and over a dozen lengthy posts with responses to several people.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 02:57 PM

So the dog took it off safety too??

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Navasot

That’s what the hunters are saying, but I think there is a good chance the safety was not on.

The hunters said it was and the dog jumped on the tailgate, walked on top of the gun looking for a place to sit down, knocked the safety off and then hit the trigger. It’s possible...

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Navasot

That’s what the hunters are saying, but I think there is a good chance the safety was not on.

The hunters said it was and the dog jumped on the tailgate, walked on top of the gun looking for a place to sit down, knocked the safety off and then hit the trigger. It’s possible...

Id say 90% chance it was on fire.... I guess if the dog was jumping around all excited... makes you wonder why manufactures dont use the old slide safety that use to be on top of the gun... there was no way to take those off safe on accident
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 03:47 PM

"Dog shoots man" hunting incidents happen once or twice a year on average.

Here is one from November...
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dog-shoots-man-man-survives-defends-dog-good/story?id=58898352

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/30/dog-shoots-hunter/910650001/

Summary article from 2015
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-year-in-america/?utm_term=.aeaf66526692
Posted By: RayB

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 03:52 PM

Maybe he had a Franchi Affinity, looks like a dog stepping on the safety and hitting the trigger could happen, but no argument laying it down empty is the way to go
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 06:57 PM

It can happen. Accidents are usually caused by the "one in a million" happening. I had my .45 1911 cocked and locked in the night stand drawer. I was stepping into the shower when all of sudden the shower door glass shattered into a million pieces at the same time something exploded in the bedroom. My dog had chased my cat into the bedroom and ran into the nights stand. The drawer came out of the night stand and dumped the pistol out. As the pistol was coming down it landed on the corner of the gun and pushed the safety down and off. Then the cat jumped off the bed and hit the trigger with it's foot. I did not see it happen, but that is the best I can figure after piecing it all together. The bullet traveled into the carpet, ran along the floor under the carpet about 12 inches, then out of the carpet, between my legs, through the glass shower door, into the shower wall, and lodged in the wall between the shower and toilet. It was one of those one in a million accidents and a very good lesson. I never leave anything chambered anymore, safety on or not. God was looking out for me that day for sure.

Re: Hunting “accident” leads to amputated leg - 01/14/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesea112
It can happen. Accidents are usually caused by the "one in a million" happening. I had my .45 1911 cocked and locked in the night stand drawer. I was stepping into the shower when all of sudden the shower door glass shattered into a million pieces at the same time something exploded in the bedroom. My dog had chased my cat into the bedroom and ran into the nights stand. The drawer came out of the night stand and dumped the pistol out. As the pistol was coming down it landed on the corner of the gun and pushed the safety down and off. Then the cat jumped off the bed and hit the trigger with it's foot. I did not see it happen, but that is the best I can figure after piecing it all together. The bullet traveled into the carpet, ran along the floor under the carpet about 12 inches, then out of the carpet, between my legs, through the glass shower door, into the shower wall, and lodged in the wall between the shower and toilet. It was one of those one in a million accidents and a very good lesson. I never leave anything chambered anymore, safety on or not. God was looking out for me that day for sure.

Or messing with you... I mean the guy can still have a sense of humor.. ninja
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum