Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Flautas...

Posted By: Guy

Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 12:52 AM

Made these new years, on my gas grill..Oh man deslish!! You got to first throw those tortillas on a pan with a little oil to soften them up!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 01:14 AM

Dang, that looks good!
I’m going to give it a try sometime
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 05:52 AM

Well that’s a new take. I like it!
Posted By: Corn

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 05:58 AM

Looks delicious. I need to try that one. Thanks for the inspiration
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 07:33 AM

What store did you buy them at? grin
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 02:06 PM

I’m gonna try that this weekend up
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 02:43 PM

Now I know exactly what I am going to do with duck I have in my freezer!
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 03:51 PM

yum! must try!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Well that’s a new take. I like it!

Never been a duck fan...but that looks interesting..... up
Posted By: rickym

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 07:39 PM

Gonna have to give that a try.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 09:15 PM

Looks delicious. How done was the duck cooked? How long in the grease?

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

It can't be more than a few minutes, I bet no more than 5.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/04/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

It can't be more than a few minutes, I bet no more than 5.

Yeah this is about right. I did not time it, so I'm not real sure. But I would get oil hot, 380, and pull off after 2 minutes or when outside looks done. Probably hard to under cook it.

My first batch, oil was too hot, like 400 or higher. I threw on aways because I'm ADD and don't have patience... So , like 1 minute it was done on outside, I pulled off, threw the rest on, and oil cooled down (not sure of temp), and the oil seemed too low. I threw the first batch back in a minute or 2, cuz I figured not cooked enough. The darker ones was the first batch, they were the best. The other batch, not as good, probably too low of heat and too long in oil.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/05/19 12:40 AM

They look good
Posted By: Judd

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 03:02 PM

Impressive grub Guy! Looks delicious.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 09:27 PM

Those look really good. A small tip for next time.....flautas are usually made with a filling in which the meat has been pre-cooked then shredded. That way you don't have to 'cook' the flautas long enough to actually cook the filling but only long enough to fry the tortillas, melt the cheese, and warm the filling.

But you have inspired me to set aside some duck to make up a batch.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyg06
Those look really good. A small tip for next time.....flautas are usually made with a filling in which the meat has been pre-cooked then shredded. That way you don't have to 'cook' the flautas long enough to actually cook the filling but only long enough to fry the tortillas, melt the cheese, and warm the filling.

I talked to my wife about them, she was more worried about over cooking the meat. Some trial and error will need to take place to really perfect this.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

I talked to my wife about them, she was more worried about over cooking the meat. Some trial and error will need to take place to really perfect this.

Yea, thats why they typically do the shredded route. It is difficult to match the cooking times of a raw piece of meat on the inside to the thin tortilla on the outside. Agree on the trial and error to get everything just right but they do look really good and worth a few attempts to get them how you want them.

I am way over thinking this but.... I think you could cook all your duck ahead of time to rare (sous vide/smoker) then mix with your filling, then do your fry as not to over cook the duck but still fry the tortilla.

But looking forward to tweaking this a bit and hearing how others have adapted this to their tastes as well. Looks like a great use for some duck and a way to get others interested in the meat.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 09:55 PM

I am thinking about a creamy tomatillo sauce and a roasted tomatillo sauce to serve with them.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/07/19 10:13 PM

That makes perfect sense for pork or chicken, because you need to make sure it is cooked well done. But not duck. You definitely do not want to precook the duck. It is very hard to under cook the duck.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

That makes perfect sense for pork or chicken, because you need to make sure it is cooked well done. But not duck. You definitely do not want to precook the duck. It is very hard to under cook the duck.

Agreed. Would not want to cook duck twice. FWIW, I made them last weekend and turned out perfect just as OP described in first post.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 04:58 PM

The flautas look great, but your guac looks way too gringo style. grin

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Just avocado, salt and lime. I used to bartend at a Mexican food resturant and would help in the kitchen every now and then, I would make 5 gal buckets of guacamole, and that is how they made it, but with lemons because they had more juice, you can’t tell the difference.

JMO, guacamole best this way, try it. People over complicate it.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Just avocado, salt and lime. I used to bartend at a Mexican food resturant and would help in the kitchen every now and then, I would make 5 gal buckets of guacamole, and that is how they made it, but with lemons because they had more juice, you can’t tell the difference.

Exactly, I want to taste a hint of lime in my guac, hate when I can taste onion.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 08:05 PM

Guy is a dang good cook food I had duck a long time ago and it was just okay, when Guy started taking my son Wyatt hunting with his son Ryan every now and then I would get a sample of some good duck vittles up

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/08/19 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Yep I agree with that.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/27/19 02:08 PM

I made them last night, I used Gouda cheese with them, then served them with a homemade roasted tomatillo salsa and a creamy tomatillo salsa. This recipe is a for sure keeper!

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/27/19 08:45 PM

Looks good Herb, what temp? How done was the duck? Looks like duck definitely not under cooked, maybe a little over cooked? Looks like the right temp, but maybe pull them off just a tad sooner? Looks like the first batch I cooked.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/27/19 09:01 PM

Yeah I over cooked it a bit, I had the oil about 325, the fact it had been swallowing vodka all day impaired my time clock in the head. Next time I’m gonna set a timer at 2 minutes per side. It was still pretty good, it might replace bacon wrapped poppers. So much easier to make and zero flare ups!

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/27/19 11:48 PM

Bacon wrapped poppers is hard to beat, but those are best for appetizer, I just get tired of all the bacon.

Re: Duck Flautas... - 01/27/19 11:49 PM

My wife loves over cooked duck. But she also loves liver. roflmao
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/01/19 02:09 AM

My youngest son used to make me cook it with the bacon on. When I served them he would take the bacon off before he ate them.

He likes liver too.
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/10/19 06:07 AM

What did you season the duck with, just salt and pepper? Also, did you freeze the cheese or anything to keep it from just melting and running out during frying?
happy3
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/10/19 06:23 AM

O yea. I would food

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/10/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelin' Outdoorsman
What did you season the duck with, just salt and pepper?

Just salt and pepper....
did you freeze the cheese or anything to keep it from just melting and running out during frying?

Did not freeze, but did cut cheese as one thick strip to help with cheese melting out.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/10/19 04:24 PM

Tag for later
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/11/19 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
What did you season the duck with, just salt and pepper?

Just salt and pepper....
did you freeze the cheese or anything to keep it from just melting and running out during frying?

Did not freeze, but did cut cheese as one thick strip to help with cheese melting out.

Thanks. I'm making these with the last duck I have in the freezer!
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/14/19 04:54 AM

when you gonna use fresh japs and not pickled!!!!

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/18/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by easton1025
when you gonna use fresh japs and not pickled!!!!

Used fresh here with my verde sauce, which would go great with Duck Flautas.... smile ani

Guy's Verde sauce..
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Duck Flautas... - 02/20/19 04:21 PM

duck flautas just rolls off the tongue
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum