Texas Hunting Forum

Coffee...

Posted By: Guy

Coffee... - 12/27/18 11:54 PM

It goes with me everywhere. Normally in blind bag, but if I can’t take blind bag, coffee still goes with me. I have had this standly thermos 10 years. One time I left it at lake x, went back to same spot the next week, it was still there and coffee was still warm. smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 12:04 AM

Mine isn’t near that old but I take a thermos of coffee too. I like that Aladdin one. Did you paint it? I painted mine Camo.

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by samsamthemex
Did you paint it? I painted mine Camo.

Yeah you got to paint it or you flair the mallards!!
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 01:29 AM

I've got the same thermos I bought when I got into this addiction of H3!! in 2007.

It went missing when we moved in 2016, so I ended up with a new one. However, it has resurfaced and will go back into production if we ever get some ducks to hunt. And yes the coffee taste better in my 2007 thermos.
Posted By: catwhacker

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 03:33 AM

I always take coffee with me. I have a thermos that is over 30 years old and it still keeps my coffee hot.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 08:59 PM

I have a real Stanley thermos that is older than that Aladdin one and still works pretty good. Been drinking crappy Allsups coffee from it this season but at least it is strong coffee. Nothing worse than weak coffee.

Thought about buying another smaller Stanley thermos the other day.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 09:23 PM

I don't know how you guys drink coffee in the duck blind.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise

I think the smell of Coffee must attract Ducks. The moment things are slow and I pour me a cup of coffee in the duck blind, that is always the very moment ducks from out of nowhere fly into the decoys. Always.... That is what coffee in the duck blind is for.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 09:38 PM

I had one of the old green Stanleys...best damn thermos EVER. I finally wore it out and it quit keeping stuff warm about dang near 20 years. Bought a replacement and it lasted a year, it was junk. I'm done with Stanleys. Currently I'm using a Yeti bottle and I'm not real thrilled with it unless I season it with warm water first.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 09:57 PM

>>>Coffee and alcohol to live past 90 banana

I especially like the part about being "overweight" at 70.

I KNEW that body-mass index stuff was a bunch of crap!
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Coffee... - 12/28/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hopedale
I've got the same thermos I bought when I got into this addiction of H3!! in 2007.

It went missing when we moved in 2016, so I ended up with a new one. However, it has resurfaced and will go back into production if we ever get some ducks to hunt. And yes the coffee taste better in my 2007 thermos.

That’s a property seasoned thermos.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 12:28 AM

I just broke my Thermos (camo cabelas) . The plastic on the bottom broke when I dropped it. Now I'm using the really...better Thermos mug. It has the rubber rings top and bottom. Black with stainless drink cup. I put camo duct tape around the cup and the bottom band thats stainless. I shot a duck earlier this month and went to retrieve it. I looked back at my setup and sure enough...that stainless cap was a beacon so I duct taped it up.

Thermos brand is the way to go as Stanley sucks nowadays. Sipping coffee cost me probably 10 birds a year.

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
I had one of the old green Stanleys...best damn thermos EVER. I finally wore it out and it quit keeping stuff warm about dang near 20 years. Bought a replacement and it lasted a year, it was junk. I'm done with Stanleys. Currently I'm using a Yeti bottle and I'm not real thrilled with it unless I season it with warm water first.

That is what I still use. I should paint it but that would be like spray painting an airstream trailer. I just keep it in back pack.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 04:11 AM

I'm pretty Leary of folks that don't drink coffee on a cold morning.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 05:01 AM

I still have my dad's old Stanley from back in the 70's. Still works as good as it did back then.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 06:27 AM

Been using my Nissan Stainless for 17 years now. Buddies wife even drove over it after a duck hunt 15 years ago. Still has the dent and used every day.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Coffee... - 12/29/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise

I don’t drink much coffee anyway, but I never do when duck hunting. I’m there to hunt, not spend a half hour squatting in the woods and ruining a perfectly good pair of socks. Coffee runs right through me.

I’ll drink a Dr. Pepper or, if I really need a jolt, a Red Bull.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 01:07 AM

This

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/bottled-drinks/mocha-doubleshot-with-energy

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 01:44 AM

Don't give me that yuppie starbucks crap, hazelnut.... that stuff makes me throw up. Cheap gas station coffee, folgers, no surge or milk... strait up black...I shouldn't haven't to tell you guys this stuff...

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
I'm pretty Leary of folks that don't drink coffee on a cold morning.

Amen!

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 02:14 PM

Normally as a rule, if I don't have my limit, the hunt is over when the coffee is gone. As long as there is coffee, I'm good all morning. Yesterday save one cup of coffee for after the hunt, to go with my breakfast at the ramp. That little chrome grill you see in 2nd pic, did my toast on that. smile ani

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Love this new butane stove I recently got. It takes 8oz cans of butane, burns clean and hot. And cooked a baked potato on it the night before.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Don't give me that yuppie starbucks crap, hazelnut.... that stuff makes me throw up. Cheap gas station coffee, folgers, no surge or milk... strait up black...I shouldn't haven't to tell you guys this stuff...

Negative, that starbucks can is the bomb and its mocha, not hazelnut.
they sell it at pretty much all gas stations and local donut shops, you really outta try it
Hot gas station coffee gives me the shiats right at shooting time, each and every time
That cold starbucks stays in my bunghole till well after the hunt.

Posted By: BDB

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 03:44 PM

Starbucks coffee = barf bang wife loco hanged rofl
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Coffee... - 12/30/18 05:43 PM

How the heck did you keep it from leaking fuel and catching on fire? I had 3 of those and kept exchanging them becuase they all leaked where the butane connects and the whole thing would catch fire

Re: Coffee... - 12/31/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Erichugh22
How the heck did you keep it from leaking fuel and catching on fire? I had 3 of those and kept exchanging them becuase they all leaked where the butane connects and the whole thing would catch fire

I have not had that issue. But I just started using it.

Re: Coffee... - 12/31/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Other than that, it was an awesome little grill when I got it to work. I ended up giving up on it and getting a propane stove, but it’s more of a pain to haul around than the little red one.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Coffee... - 12/31/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BDB

I’ll stick with my community coffee....

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Other than that, it was an awesome little grill when I got it to work. I ended up giving up on it and getting a propane stove, but it’s more of a pain to haul around than the little red one.

Did you make sure you had the 8oz butane can in right?

There is a notch in the can...See below...
[Linked Image]

And that notch is strait up, and per pic below the clip with spring on it pulls in the notch when you "lock" it. Clip needs to slide between notch, or there is no good seal.
[Linked Image]

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 01:16 AM

Yepp I did all of that. The guy at academy didn’t believe me either after the 3rd one and caught it on fire himself. It wasn’t a loud enough leak to hear, but after 2 or 3 minutes the whole thing would go up in flames

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 03:10 AM

Yepp I did all of that. The guy at academy didn’t believe me either after the 3rd one and caught it on fire himself. It wasn’t a loud enough leak to hear, but after 2 or 3 minutes the whole thing would go up in flames

I'll post up if I have an issue, but if I do, I'm calling the manufacture. If they are worth their salt, they will fix it, or already have a newer model with fix if complaints from others, and they should express out a replacement model ASAP.

Otherwise there are other competitors that do the same thing, like coleman... This one only $20.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by BDB

I remember when I saw my first Starbucks, it was early 90s, I was fresh out of SMU Cox School of Business, I said what is this place to a friend? He said it is a fancy expensive coffee shop, people go to sip on expensive coffee. I said what a stupid idea, it will fail miserably. roflmao
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
I still have my dad's old Stanley from back in the 70's. Still works as good as it did back then.

My older brother has our dads old thermos( still use cork for stopper), brings back memories when we duck/deer hunt together!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Coffee... - 01/01/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BDB

I remember when I saw my first Starbucks, it was early 90s, I was fresh out of SMU Cox School of Business, I said what is this place to a friend? He said it is a fancy expensive coffee shop, people go to sip on expensive coffee. I said what a stupid idea, it will fail miserably. roflmao

roflmao

Now they literally have Starbucks across the street from one another because they’re so popular. I don’t get it either, but they’re doing something right.

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BDB

Doesn't say much for SMU Cox School of Business roflmao

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Normally as a rule, if I don't have my limit, the hunt is over when the coffee is gone. As long as there is coffee, I'm good all morning. Yesterday save one cup of coffee for after the hunt, to go with my breakfast at the ramp. That little chrome grill you see in 2nd pic, did my toast on that. smile ani

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Love this new butane stove I recently got. It takes 8oz cans of butane, burns clean and hot. And cooked a baked potato on it the night before.

You ever try and make a pot of coffee on that burner? I wonder if that would work. You could stay at the lake all day.

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
You ever try and make a pot of coffee on that burner? I wonder if that would work. You could stay at the lake all day.

Yeah that’s actually the main reason I got it, in case I’m camping where there is no electricity, and I can’t run my electric coffee pot. I got a perculator for it, I have yet to use it though.

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Yeah that’s actually the main reason I got it, in case I’m camping where there is no electricity, and I can’t run my electric coffee pot. I got a perculator for it, I have yet to use it though.

You will look more like a camper.

I haven't had a cup of percolated coffee in a long time. The eggs and bacon look good.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BDB

roflmao

Now they literally have Starbucks across the street from one another because they’re so popular. I don’t get it either, but they’re doing something right.

Headline from "The Onion" a few years ago:

Starbucks to open in bathroom of existing Starbucks.

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 11:03 PM

Starbucks is almost 50 years old now. Third largest chain behind Subway and McDonalds.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Coffee... - 01/03/19 11:25 PM

Coffee = flush

I'm plenty amped up when I'm hunting, don't need it. After the hunt and I'm trying to work the rest of the day... where toilets are available and waders are not on... is a different story.

Re: Coffee... - 01/06/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Its all the Apple people is what it is. Those people are weird.
[Linked Image]

Re: Coffee... - 01/20/19 02:05 PM

This ice is nice, makes a good coffee table.
[Linked Image]

Re: Coffee... - 01/20/19 06:20 PM

up Coffee table
Posted By: JessicaDowd

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 09:09 AM

I think you have an excellent quality thermos, if even after a week the coffee was still warm. My coffee cools down in 5 hours but I use my thermos anyway, because it's my daughter present.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 01:13 PM

I bought an original Stanley thermos when I was young. I’ve always loved coffee. Drink it practically all day. That thermos goes on almost every hunting trip. Keeps my coffee hotter than my yeti thermos does big time.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaDowd
My coffee cools down in 5 hours but I use my thermos anyway,

Secret..............put boiling hot water in your thermos for about 15 mins or so before you put your coffee in there. Heats up the inner core of your thermos. Will keep your stuff hot or warmer way longer!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 06:52 PM

TRUE ^^
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 07:07 PM

Just put it in the microwave for a few minutes. bolt
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 07:26 PM

Those green Stanley thermos's have a lifetime warranty. If it goes tits up take it to Academy, they'll swap it out.

I have a couple that are 30-40 years old and they are much more robust (and heavier) than the newer ones.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Coffee... - 09/18/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Coffee = flush

I'm plenty amped up when I'm hunting, don't need it. After the hunt and I'm trying to work the rest of the day... where toilets are available and waders are not on... is a different story.

Taking buddies on a flooded timber hunt in waist deep water then giving them a cup out of the thermos can be entertaining on a slow day.
Posted By: JessicaDowd

Re: Coffee... - 09/19/20 06:04 PM

-

Re: Coffee... - 09/19/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
It goes with me everywhere. Normally in blind bag, but if I can't take blind bag, coffee still goes with me. I have had this standly thermos 10 years. One time I left it at lake x, went back to same spot the next week, it was still there and coffee was still warm.
[Linked Image]

You guys know you kicked up a 2 year old thread? BTW, the last part about it still being warm was a joke, after a week common guys!! rofl
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Coffee... - 09/19/20 11:03 PM

Coffee before breakfast for me.

Re: Coffee... - 09/20/20 11:28 AM

Thermos still going strong, this is pic yesterday morning camping. Lost the screw on top which was also the cup I used. I sure like drinking coffee out of that cup. I talked to Stanley, the do not have a replacement. So now I have to drink out of a tumbler.

Love my Colman coffee maker, it makes coffee much hotter than my electric coffee maker...

[Linked Image]

Re: Coffee... - 09/21/20 09:18 PM

That's a pretty cool setup for coffee. Does the coffee come out weak like the other one?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Coffee... - 09/21/20 09:22 PM

I already have a huge tub of camping stuff I never use...but I want that Coleman coffee maker. grin

Re: Coffee... - 09/21/20 09:54 PM

That's a pretty cool setup for coffee. Does the coffee come out weak like the other one?

That has nothing to do with the coffee maker, has everything to do with coffee grinds relative to water. One to two tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water is normal, go less for weak, go more for strong.

ndhunter is trolling me he knows I like weak coffee.

Re: Coffee... - 09/21/20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
How the heck did you keep it from leaking fuel and catching on fire? I had 3 of those and kept exchanging them because they all leaked where the butane connects and the whole thing would catch fire

Other than that, it was an awesome little grill when I got it to work. I ended up giving up on it and getting a propane stove, but its more of a pain to haul around than the little red one.

I ended up giving up on the butane stove as well, for other reasons than your, it was just inconsistent in performance. I use the camp cheif, its great, and I like the 20lb tank, the little 1lb tanks are not worth the trouble, I need to get adopters for my Colman coffee maker.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum