Texas Hunting Forum

Surprise 2 Man!

Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Surprise 2 Man! - 12/26/18 07:36 PM

This year has been tough, just haven't been seeing the birds we normally do. Well after scouting on Friday not many birds were to be seen in the usual spots so my buddy and I decided to sit on a puddle in the middle of a wheat field that had flooded prior and was drying up. We weren't expecting to see much and getting skunked wouldn't have been a surprise. When the sun started to come up we could hear groups buzzing over us and we reckoned it could be a little better morning than we anticipated. Well group after group came with most being 15-20 birds large. We saw just about every species in the area that morning but they made us work for it. Most groups circled 4 or 5 times before making a low enough pass for us to take a shot. We ended up with a 2 man limit including 4 species and almost all drakes! Pintail, Mallard, Widgeon, and a Shoveler hit the dirt we coulda shot more birds if we had more people with us. Just goes to show you never know unless you go! We went back the next morning to the same spot and got skunked, that's hunting for ya!! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/26/18 09:37 PM

That is a spoone n crocket right there. I’ve yet to get one that colored. Nice hunt!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 01:32 AM

How many decoys did you use, and did you use spinners?
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 01:55 AM

Nice Hunt!
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 02:56 PM

good work! shows small water that is often overlooked can produce! very nice shoveler!
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
How many decoys did you use, and did you use spinners?

We only through out like 6-8 decoys and had one baby mallard mojo spinning above them.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 05:08 PM

I'd take it!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Surprise 2 Man! - 12/27/18 11:05 PM

Nice! Lots of small groups of geese in Cooke County on the wheat fields.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum