Texas Hunting Forum

Duck blind build

Posted By: Wburke2010

Duck blind build - 12/19/18 05:34 PM

Will be 8’ x 16’ sitting on pontoons. There will be a separate front section for the dogs with a ramp into the water.

Here is the frame for the floor.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 06:00 PM

Mount the floor to the pontoons and she will float.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 09:08 PM

Front wall welded up. Have to add cattle panel to the outside to tie off grass and brush then a shelf on the inside with some cup holders and gun rack.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 09:12 PM

Awesome! Looking good.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 10:09 PM

You gonna mount your mud motor on that baby? banana
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 10:22 PM

cheers

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 10:42 PM

Got the area on the front welded up and bolted on for the dogs.

[Linked Image]

Originally I designed it to have a bench down the middle but I think I would weld some bases in for boat seats on a pole so our chair will have a backrest. The rest will have to wait till tomorrow so I can run to academy and get some. Expanded metal for the floor just got here so we are ready to rock in the morning.

Re: Duck blind build - 12/19/18 10:43 PM

No sir! She will float on the shoreline where we can hide it in the brush and I will use some spud poles to hold it in place.

Re: Duck blind build - 12/20/18 06:54 PM

Seat bases welded in flush with the floor and the floor is finally all welded in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck blind build - 12/20/18 08:54 PM

Looking good.

Re: Duck blind build - 12/20/18 09:22 PM

Done for the day. The complete floor is in and welded. The area on the front for the dogs is in and welded and the brackets for the shelf on the front are all welded on.

[Linked Image]

Tomorrow morning I’ll build the shelf. Weld some cattle panel on the front to tie brush to then we have to drag it outside so I can build the back wall and roof.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Duck blind build - 12/20/18 10:01 PM

I hope you are putting something over that expanded metal for the dogs or prepare for them to loose some toenails. Expanded metal is rough on the hounds!
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Duck blind build - 12/20/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
I hope you are putting something over that expanded metal for the dogs or prepare for them to loose some toenails. Expanded metal is rough on the hounds!

This.

Rather than mess with something that's going to rot bad I'd go to TSC and pick up some rubber stall mats and bolt it through the metal floor. Easy to cut to fit and easy to take off for whatever reason. Somewhat slip resistant.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 12:54 AM

This is a blind I built when I had my lease. I thought about putting this blind on pontoons, if I did, my strategy would have been to sink it between the pontoons so floor is level with water for a lower profile. And note with this design, the low profile of the blind, front shelf is low, if you stand up your head is higher than the roof, we mostly took shots sitting. Low profile is key.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 01:51 AM

This is taking entirely too long Walter

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ramball36
This is taking entirely too long Walter

I only have a day and a half in it!

On the expanded metal I was planning on covering it with Astro turf. The expanded metal is just there so it never tots out. I have tons and tons of Astro turf so I can replace it every couple years with no problem. But I do like the idea of stall mats from tractor supply.
Posted By: Teamjefe

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 04:40 PM

I would go with the stall mats. The astro turf won't stop a dogs claw when it goes to jump out of the blind. That claw will stay with the blind...

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 05:17 PM

I'd put hydroturf second hand stuff over the top of it and never have to worry about it again. Those stall mats are going to be heavy.

https://www.hydroturf.com/sheets/closeouts

Used it in our boats for years without a problem.

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 05:46 PM

Cattle panel welded to the front and two front sides and the shelf is done. Cedar so it won’t rot out. Also have slots cut to lean your gun against. Now time to drag it outside to build the back wall.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 06:06 PM

I'd put hydroturf second hand stuff over the top of it and never have to worry about it again. Those stall mats are going to be heavy.

How thick is that stuff?

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010

How thick is that stuff?

6-8mm, so 1/4" or so

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 06:55 PM

Thanks I will look into that. I have tons and tons of Astro turf already so I might see how that works then go from there.

Re: Duck blind build - 12/21/18 09:03 PM

Ran out of metal. Back wall is up and the frame for the roof is started. Dad is starting to paint the front side till we get some more steel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Duck blind build - 12/22/18 02:05 PM

Looking good....can't wait to see it on the water and brushed up.... up
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Duck blind build - 12/22/18 09:34 PM

Now we just wait for ducks when they show up on January 28

Re: Duck blind build - 12/25/18 05:33 AM

Spent the last two days at the property and the water has come way down finally. My bottom land isn’t flooded anymore and the marsh is back to normal water level which is two to four foot all over the place. Only bad thing is now the grass is back at the top of the water so there isn’t much open water. Since this property hasn’t been maintained the last two years we knew the hunting wouldn’t be the best this year but it will be great once we can get it all setup. We are still seeing hundreds of birds everytime I’m out there but with all the factors it’s hard to get them to come in when the old blind sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the blind.

Here is a shot looking out the front of the old blind. Used the boat to cut up some of the grass but we have a ways to go

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Duck blind build - 12/25/18 02:19 PM

Grass equals food. Food equals ducks

Re: Duck blind build - 12/25/18 11:50 PM

There are no shortage of ducks in the area. But the biggest problem is the old blind that sits right in the middle of the marsh and sticks out like crazy. Once we get that problem fixed it should be a lot better hunting

Re: Duck blind build - 08/27/19 06:36 PM

Got the roof on. The side walls on. The ramp for the dog to get back up with a fancy holder. Now all I have to do is mount the spud poles to hold it in place a ladder for the guys to get in. Then once I get it down to the marsh I will put the r panel on the roof. The back walls and two side walls. Then build a shelf in the back to hold our griddle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Duck blind build - 08/27/19 06:41 PM

don't forget the griddle; that's the most important part

Re: Duck blind build - 08/27/19 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint
don't forget the griddle; that's the most important part

It won't be forgotten. up Got all four spud pole mounts done now. so all we have left to do here before we haul it out to the marsh is build a set of steps to get in. Get a buoy for the end of the dog ramp to make it float. Get some boat seats and poles, and this afternoon I will be welding up the shelf for the griddle to sit on.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Duck blind build - 08/27/19 07:50 PM

Looking good!

Re: Duck blind build - 08/28/19 08:43 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dog ramp is done with floats on the bottom to help when the water rises. Ramp to get in for us fat guys is done and the shelf is done to hold the griddle. She is getting painted right now then it is headed to the marsh Friday.

Once it is at the marsh I will put r panel on the back and half sides and roof. Then I’m going to put a couple lights inside and two flood lights on the roof for early morning putting out decoys or whatever run of a 12 volt battery and I will put a solar panel to get the battery charged. Also I have some old Astro turf to put on the floor once it’s down there.

Re: Duck blind build - 08/30/19 03:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Headed to the marsh
Posted By: Judd

Re: Duck blind build - 08/30/19 03:29 PM

You've got the coolest toys wink
Posted By: takemking

Re: Duck blind build - 08/30/19 03:36 PM

Nice setup. Glad to hear you are putting some astro turf down. That flooring will rip a dog's nail quick!

Re: Duck blind build - 08/30/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by takemking
Nice setup. Glad to hear you are putting some astro turf down. That flooring will rip a dog's nail quick!

The expanded metal was the best option because it won’t rot and is light enough. So I’ll just put some Astro that I have piles of from my rental store on it till that’s ruined the figure something else out.

Originally Posted by Judd
You've got the coolest toys wink
. These are the small ones.
clap

Re: Duck blind build - 09/03/19 05:05 AM

Blind is in the marsh. Buried the forklift to get it there because it was too muddy but we pulled it out after. Then it was two days of chainsaw and weed eater work to start clearing the marsh because it won’t dry out to mow with the tractor. Lot of work left to do but it’s a start.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck blind build - 09/09/19 03:07 AM

Dad got the roof, back wall, and two side walls on this weekend. Now we just have to finish up painting it. Put some grass mats on the front and sides and brush it in. I also have to drive some spud poles in the ground but I think I’m going to wait until we have water under it so I know it’s exactly where I want it to go. Guess now is a good time to go get the boats seats for it too.

Tell me if this is a good idea or bad? I was at academy and saw some boat dock lights for in the water. Thought about getting a few of those to put inside so early morning you could get situated. Also thought about putting some flood lights on the roof to light up the area in front of the blind to put out decoys so I don’t have to mess with a headlamp for early mornings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Duck blind build - 09/09/19 02:01 PM

For lighting I would just use those stick on the wall light switches.

This is what I'd use for light to the blind. I don't have this yet, but I'm looking to get one.
https://stingray-industries.com/product/concealed-carry/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum