Texas Hunting Forum

Satellite Imaging

Posted By: SpoonieGod

Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 01:57 AM

Has anyone found a reliable place, that has updated satellite imaging? It's kinda hard to check spots when google maps is only showing me images from 3yrs ago. Paid or not I'm tired of getting to the boat ramp, and realizing that the water is now 10' higher than in the pictures.
Posted By: Duke4456

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 04:18 AM

Lol maybe do more than computer scout.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Duke4456

confused2
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 02:23 PM

Lol.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 04:54 PM

First, happy birthday. Second, nailed it.
Posted By: Duke4456

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 05:03 PM

Thank you
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 05:05 PM

We have updated satellite imagery from a variety of companies we work with ans subscribe to....and we map lakes, rivers, as well as ranches. Let me know if we can help in any way.
~George Blitch
713-302-2028
george@mapmyranch.com
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 05:10 PM

I would tell you what I do that works great and is free, but they're very sensitive trade secrets. peep

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 06:11 PM

If you read the post I’m trying to scout, but it’s kinda hard to check an 364 thousand acre lake entire out of a John boat. All I was asking for was a satellite imaging service that I can use to narrow down my scouting locations.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 06:14 PM

I like how everyone is acting like they don’t use google maps at all to find new locations to go check out.

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 06:18 PM

Best thing to do is compare the satalite imagery to the current water level and try and make your best guess. If the lake shows to be dry but now it’s actually at 100%, you kind of just have to figure out where the water will most likely be and plan from there.

Disclaimer : not saying go in blind on a hunt with a guess. I’m saying if you’re trying to find a new area to scout by boat
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 06:57 PM

I'm really at a loss for words. Do you think they take imaging over a lake at every elevation? Heck a lake I look at half of it was taken when it was it was low other half is in the trees.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 06:58 PM

just hire a guide and hunt private, it'll be easier

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
I'm really at a loss for words. Do you think they take imaging over a lake at every elevation? Heck a lake I look at half of it was taken when it was it was low other half is in the trees.

Mines the same. Half is from the drought and the other half is after the flood
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Erichugh22
I like how everyone is acting like they don’t use google maps at all to find new locations to go check out.

This. It's a tool, use it.

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass

Mines the same. Half is from the drought and the other half is after the flood

Mine has all the ramps underwater when i look at it
Posted By: js4242

Re: Satellite Imaging - 11/30/18 11:10 PM

Best thing to do is compare the satalite imagery to the current water level and try and make your best guess. If the lake shows to be dry but now it’s actually at 100%, you kind of just have to figure out where the water will most likely be and plan from there.

Disclaimer : not saying go in blind on a hunt with a guess. I’m saying if you’re trying to find a new area to scout by boat

Download Google Earth and do the above. It has a "date" button on the top that shows the same area in different points of time. I believe it goes back to 1995.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Satellite Imaging - 12/01/18 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by js4242

Download Google Earth and do the above. It has a "date" button on the top that shows the same area in different points of time. I believe it goes back to 1995.

Take that info and incorporate historical lake levels and you will have a guess on what the lake looks like.
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Satellite Imaging - 12/01/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by CootLord

If you read the post I’m trying to scout, but it’s kinda hard to check an 364 thousand acre lake entire out of a John boat. All I was asking for was a satellite imaging service that I can use to narrow down my scouting locations.

Not really.

I took a weekend off from hunting to just scout a new lake a few years ago. Had to carry a significant amount of extra gas. Then you dedicate every Saturday afternoon of the season to scouting. The prime spots become evident as well as duck preferences early vs. late season. Been killing ducks on this lake ever since.

Of course, I’m an older fella whose kinda set in my ways. I’m mostly just happy this boat goat goes twice as fast as the one I had most of my life. That makes a big difference.

Now, satellite scouting for woodcock covers...I’m totally down with that.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Satellite Imaging - 12/03/18 01:14 AM

lol, this was this weekend in north teas. alot of the ramps finely reopened. your should have seen all the mud motors running around trying to find a spot to hunt b/c the tree/brush line was still in 6-8-10 foot of water. it was greatness.
Posted By: Gengo

Re: Satellite Imaging - 12/03/18 08:03 PM

Most larger lakes have some sort of water level gauge somewhere on the lake. Check those and compare them to past images or times that you know for sure how high or low the water is at the ramp. Google Maps changed the game and we all use it for different reasons.
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Satellite Imaging - 12/05/18 12:02 AM

Use this to determine the topography of the lake. Areas that have more spread out contour lines near the shore will be more likely to flood than areas with tight contours.
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@3&key=alymEn%7Df%7BP

Use this to determine current lake level.
https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

Install google earth pro to your computer. click the clock button in red and scroll through historical images. Look at different level of the lake and cross reference the imagery date in the bottom right with fishing reports at this link.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/fishreport.phtml

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do this for all different water levels and find one that most closely matches the current water level.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum