Texas Hunting Forum

Ducks going to freshwater off the bay?

Posted By: shalor

Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/18/18 09:57 PM

Anybody know about what time of day the ducks go to freshwater from saltwater? I think I have a couple of good fresh water holes off the Laguna Madre that I can hunt in December. But unsure if they come to fresh first thing in the morning, mid morning or later in the afternoon. Someone has actually told me they come twice a day to freshwater? Any help or experience would be appreciated. Going to try to mix in a little hunt with my fishing trip. Thanks
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/19/18 04:13 AM

evening
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/19/18 02:46 PM

It depends. Some days early somedays mid morning and evening. If it's a big moon pressured birds will often feed at night and hit the water early. We hunted a similar type deal growing up. Depending on the habitat you may have birds feeding in there too and then just loafing on the bay in the big water where it's safer from predators. Only way to know for sure in that spot is to put eyes on it beforehand.
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/19/18 08:18 PM

Could be a combo of weather (particular wind direction), tide (high vs low), time of day (morning, evening, midday), and amount of disturbance. If they are foraging in the bay, it may be that they will be there at falling and low tide, and they will hit freshwater at high tide and loaf/digest what they consumed during low tide. No matter the time of day. Or, they are feeding in the bay at night due to less disturbance, and go to the freshwater during the day to escape that disturbance.

Best to sit there and pattern them. Its all guessing until you collect the data!
Posted By: SpoonieGod

Re: Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/19/18 08:54 PM

Have a hole like that too, around Port A. The birds came in all day, but slowed down severely in the middle of the day. I happened to get the best results in the morning, although the evening hunt wasn't terrible it seemed to be more hit and miss.
Posted By: shalor

Re: Ducks going to freshwater off the bay? - 11/20/18 01:31 PM

Ok, thanks guys. Going to give it a try in mid December.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum