Texas Hunting Forum

distance from other hunters on corps land

Posted By: wacoducks

distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 03:44 PM

I was out this morning well before shooting light setting up my decoys, with two minutes before LST i saw a boat heading my way. I proceeded to yell, flash my light, and make myself seen. After running my decoys over, I was assuming they would leave. However, they set 50 yards from me and ruined my hunt. I am curious if there is a certain distance they must be away. I have never seen something this absurd before so just wanting input.
Posted By: rickym

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:18 PM

That sucks! I don’t know of any distance between hunters rules
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:20 PM

Can't fix stupid.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:25 PM

Sounds like my hunt Tuesday, except they were about 75 yards away and bumpin lil Wayne all morning during shooting light
Posted By: Judd

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:39 PM

Welcome to public hunting in Texas.

I've decided I'm done hunting public and if I can't find somewhere to hunt private then I'm done all together...hunting should be enjoyable and I about lose my forking mind over a deal like that...mainly because I wouldn't do that to someone and I don't expect others to do it to me. Good luck!

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:46 PM

Judd. You ain't hunting anything colder than 60 and warmer than 65 your just done. Don't be blaming nothing else. You ain't ever dealt with any debacle on public.
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 04:46 PM

I quit hunting public for that reason. Especially weekends. Had many people get mad i got to a spot before them then they would set up close by and shoot up in the air when i would have ducks working.

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by KingHunter17
I quit hunting public for that reason. Especially weekends. Had many people get mad i got to a spot before them then they would set up close by and shoot up in the air when i would have ducks working.

I was blessed with the opportunity to deal with that aswell except it was a shot over my to a bird i had decoying, thats when saftey came over birds and i decided to leave by 7:30
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by BradleyMcCaw

I was blessed with the opportunity to deal with that aswell except it was a shot over my to a bird i had decoying, thats when saftey came over birds and i decided to leave by 7:30

I may be a little biased, but that sure seems like it constitutes hunter harassment.

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

I may be a little biased, but that sure seems like it constitutes hunter harassment.

That was my thought too, but, with having to be somewhere early, i warned the hunters who i see often that if they do it again i will be calling the warden
Posted By: sallysue

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 06:04 PM

Thats the reason I don't hunt public any more
Posted By: Judd

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Judd. You ain't hunting anything colder than 60 and warmer than 65 your just done. Don't be blaming nothing else. You ain't ever dealt with any debacle on public.

Yeah, you're right rolleyes

I will say that if they had done me that way, I would've attempted to talk to them nicely before legal. But if they blasted at a duck I have working....my goal switches from killing ducks to making sure neither one of us get a single duck. I hate guys like that with a passion.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 07:15 PM

Im sorry, I thought you were welcoming me over with your light this morning.

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Yeah, you're right
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 08:51 PM

I have forwarded this to Dick Chaney. He supposedly has some information about how close you should be to another hunter.....
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Oh it does. I’m convinced the second hardest thing to do in this country is get a warden to a.) actually be present and then b.) actually do anything about it. You can call and call and call and won’t ever speak to a soul.
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 09:45 PM

I called a warden and was told he could do nothing unless he was there to witness it happen otherwise it was my word vs theirs. He said he would keep an eye out but i don't think he would waste his time riding around in the boat when he can be lazy and wait at the ramps to check people. Maybe its different now but when i used to duck hunt public, i never once saw a warden while actually hunting. They were waiting for you at the ramps.
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/15/18 09:52 PM

It use to be 200 yards.... not sure if they still enforce that.
Posted By: nate33

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/16/18 02:55 AM

In S. Louisiana marsh, we would spread out before daylight ---------- if anyone tried to get within a couple hundred yards, we would begin cursing our buddies and shooting at each other, sometimes bringing out a 22 pistol and using that. The unwelcome hunters would always leave before our wrath was turned on them. At daylight we would regroup and get in our blinds.
Posted By: Greg

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/16/18 03:03 AM

WTH...he runs over your blocks and then set up 50 yards from you. Did you happen to say anything to them after they ran over your decoys? Don’t think I could have sat there and not said anything after that.

The same kinda thing happened to me on Livingston about 20+ yrs ago buy a guy in an air boat, but he didn’t hang around. He came flying into the cove and was all upset we beat him to “his” spot so he cussed us out saying it was his hole and he’s been hunting there all his life...then drove his boat right over our decoys and blew them all over the place. He turned the fan our way and about blew our hats off as he roared out. Lots of brave idiots out there.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/16/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by nate33
In S. Louisiana marsh, we would spread out before daylight ---------- if anyone tried to get within a couple hundred yards, we would begin cursing our buddies and shooting at each other, sometimes bringing out a 22 pistol and using that. The unwelcome hunters would always leave before our wrath was turned on them. At daylight we would regroup and get in our blinds.

Genius. I've heard the spreading out theory, but not the fake fight.
Posted By: BDB

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/17/18 04:16 PM

I was out this morning well before shooting light setting up my decoys, with two minutes before LST i saw a boat heading my way. I proceeded to yell, flash my light, and make myself seen. After running my decoys over, I was assuming they would leave. However, they set 50 yards from me and ruined my hunt. I am curious if there is a certain distance they must be away. I have never seen something this absurd before so just wanting input.

2 minutes before legal time so you had your gun in hand and loaded? Their in a boat so I'm sure their guns were cased....sounds like a good time to walk over to them and lay down some dam law. I'm not sure what the outcome would have been but I can dam well tell you they would not have hunted in that spot if I had been in your shoes that morning. But the thing is I hunt public exclusively and I do not have these problems. I get the accasional guy who comes in late looking for a spot and if its an opener or weekend I half expect it. But once the season is underway and all the shenanigans is gone for the most part these types of occurrences are rare for me. All you guys who gave up public for this reason I can only figure you were setting up all the time in spots I probably avoid anyways.
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/17/18 04:36 PM

Used to be on Corp property it was 200 yds but then they stopped allowing permanent blinds that all went out the window. Besides half the fools cannot judge distance or they wouldn't be shooting at ducks 250 yds away.
Posted By: Guy

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/18/18 02:18 AM

Shoot in their direction, if they get peppered they know they are too close. Works pretty good.
Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/18/18 04:23 AM

Run through my decoys and stop 50 yards away, and I guarantee we'll be having a face-to-face chat, and I'll further guarantee you ain't shooting a single bird all morning, not as long as my #3's are raining down on you every time a bird is within 100 yards...
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/19/18 09:05 PM

I had a big group of mallards come in from nearly outer space yesterday. Unfortunately They dropped in from high enough for another hunter to watch them. He pulled his boat almost close enough to flare them, then He watched us shoot, pick up birds and chase a cripple down. Watched us get back to our tree and then waited about 2 minutes before flying into our hole full speed just to bottom out about 15 yards from my decoys. All while there were more birds working my spread. He then had to get out and push his boat out of the hole. Just when I think people can’t get any dumber, somone does something like this.
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/20/18 04:20 AM

Had something like that happen except didn't bottom out, ran into a row of t-post barely under the surface. Needless to say It kinda ruined his day and we didn't see him again the rest of the season.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/20/18 03:08 PM

Man these are some crazy stories. I guess I feel pretty fortunate. I’ve never had anything like that happen as of yet! I hunt only public and have only had one instance that rubbed meWrong. I invited a group to hunt with me opening day instead of competing and they moved around so much they flared all the birds.

Fortunately this year I have not seen a soul where I’m hunting public. I’ve heard shots way way Off but have yet to run into another group. Been a great season with lots of birds so far.
Posted By: thecoblecrew

Re: distance from other hunters on corps land - 11/27/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Can't fix stupid.

LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum