Texas Hunting Forum

Decoys

Posted By: Wburke2010

Decoys - 10/29/18 06:40 PM

It looks like I’m going to be getting another 65 acres down at my cabin with a nice size duck marsh on it. What are your guys recommendations for decoys. Not looking for super cheap but would instead like a quality decoy that will last a while.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 06:53 PM

I have tried just about every brand. My two favorites for durability and non-chipping paint are avian x and dakotas. Mine still look pretty new after a few seasons. Stay away from greenhead gear unless you like paint that’s falling off straight out of the box.
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 07:00 PM

Flambeau decoys also chip straight out of the box. Have had good luck with higdon.
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 07:25 PM

G and H
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 08:03 PM

Spend the money and get Avian X. We hunt hard and they still look fantastic after multiple seasons. G&H are probably the toughest though and American made. Just don't have the realism like Avian X
Posted By: Maxus

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 08:48 PM

Dakota decoys all the way.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 09:06 PM

Can’t speak on longevity but my cheap game winner decoys have done well and haven’t had any paint chipping issues. This will be season #3 for most of them.

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 09:10 PM

Where have y’all found the best place to buy them. Mack’s? Or is there another favorite.

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Where have y’all found the best place to buy them. Mack’s? Or is there another favorite.

What decoys are you thinking of buying? Many places will have brand and sometimes species specific sales goin on.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 09:56 PM

Rogers and Mack’s usually have good deals that include free bags and rigs and stuff.

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

What decoys are you thinking of buying? Many places will have brand and sometimes species specific sales goin on.

Was just going to start with a dozen avian x to start. Not really sure how many I need?
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 10:05 PM

I've had my Avian X for 3-4 years and they look brand new.

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 10:40 PM

https://www.wingsupply.com/decoys/avian-x-topflight-central-flyway-pack-decoys-pk-6.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/647729/avian-x-top-flight-fusion-mallard-duck-decoy-pack-of-6
Posted By: BDB

Re: Decoys - 10/29/18 11:03 PM

It looks like I’m going to be getting another 65 acres down at my cabin with a nice size duck marsh on it. What are your guys recommendations for decoys. Not looking for super cheap but would instead like a quality decoy that will last a while.

I would say you have read some good answers already...Avians, Dakota, Higdon and G&H are all quality brands. I'm going on season 5 with my Avians and they look just about like they did when I bought them. Keep ion mind if your on the X Academy game winners are the Bomb! To me decoys come down to a mans personal budget. High school and college kids do just fine with the cheeps. Those who have some mint in the piggy bank can buy what they want. They all work on the X and they all suck when you got your finger up your a$$ wondering what you did wrong. I like a quality decoy so I just stick with avians as they fit my budget.

That said....guys hunting strictly public land tend to want every advantage they can get. Realistic dekes, face paint, extra cover, etc...maybe the better brands give a very slight advantage all els being equal compared to the private hunters can get away with. Just a thought though...maybe the more experienced guys can chime in and give their 2 cents
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Decoys - 11/03/18 01:46 PM

Avian X and DD just bought 7 dozen to freshen up my spread
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Decoys - 11/03/18 03:50 PM

Rogers sporting and avian x
Posted By: 68A

Re: Decoys - 11/03/18 04:25 PM

I run a few dozen between avian x and ghg. I know a lot of folks have a negative opinion of ghg but mine have held up well with no issues. I’ve got gadwalls of both brands and the color scheme of the ghg is more realistic than the avian.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Decoys - 11/04/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Avian X and DD just bought 7 dozen to freshen up my spread

Dam Greek I like your style....7 doz on a fresher upper. I'm waiting to see your complete overhaul up

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 01:52 AM

Will be ordering some this weekend after my birthday. Still haven’t decided if I will get the avian x or the Dakotas. If I am hunting say a 10 acre marsh how many decoys would you throw out? I was going to start with buying a dozen and then go from there?

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 02:00 AM

Will be ordering some this weekend after my birthday. Still haven’t decided if I will get the avian x or the Dakotas. If I am hunting say a 10 acre marsh how many decoys would you throw out? I was going to start with buying a dozen and then go from there?

18-24 in the early part of the season, see how they react. Less and less through the end of the season. I may only set out 3-6 the last 2-3 weeks. Match what you see as far as the size of groups coming in after the first couple weeks.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck Buster
G and H

What I have been buying about 10 years now.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: rickym

18-24 in the early part of the season, see how they react. Less and less through the end of the season. I may only set out 3-6 the last 2-3 weeks. Match what you see as far as the size of groups coming in after the first couple weeks.

This^^^last year, the last 2-3 weeks, i set 6-8 decoys in the X and i set myself 100 yards away from the decoys.
They all avoided the decoys and landed on the opposite side of the pond right next to me, over and over and over again, 12 straight days. They had seen too many decoys, spinners, bubblers, fountains, or every other gadget by then.

I use dakotas too, i love em. On a muddy marsh i try not to throw em, just place em, as their flocked heads dont like mudd and its hard to get it off when it dries off. You can also order extra heads to change every 2-3 seasons

Posted By: David Maas

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 04:34 AM

I have 10-12 dozen Greenhead Gear decoys and they are many yrs old and they still look great. I have Avian X, and G&H and they look just as good as the day I bought them.

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 02:18 PM

All this worry about paint and decoys, I wonder how the boys east of us make do?

Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: David Maas
All this worry about paint and decoys, I wonder how the boys east of us make do?

They shoot Remington Hypersonic. rofl rofl rofl
Posted By: SpoonieGod

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 05:40 PM

I've had good success with green head gear, and I usually buy them off www.simmonssportinggoods.com

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

They shoot Remington Hypersonic. rofl rofl rofl

up up up up up up up up
Posted By: garrett

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 09:49 PM

David Maas, did your pastor ever make it all the way to Austin on horse back? thats where he was headed right?
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 10:56 PM

PM me the address, let's meet up there this Saturday.

I'll bring one of every deek I have and we can see what works. grin

Re: Decoys - 11/06/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale

Don’t have an address there. 🤷‍♂️ And I have to work Saturday. Should be able to close on the property soon and maybe we can go shoot some.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Decoys - 11/07/18 03:11 PM

Not really sure how many I need?

That's a highly subjective question.

I'd say for someone starting out - about 18 is a good number. There are places (and times) when 3 or 4 decoys is really more than you need because it is exactly where the ducks want to be. There are other places (and times) when 6-7 dozen decoys isn't enough because it's not exactly where the ducks want to be or there are too many good places the ducks can be.

It also comes down to how much crap you want to carry and how much money you want to spend.

A 10 acre wetlands area is pretty big. At one time we owned soil conservation lake that was between 2-3 acres in a dry year and nearly 20 when we were flooded. In wet years you better throw everything at them including the kitchen sink because there was just too much water and too many good places they'd want to be. In dry years you didn't need to mess with more than a dozen decoys.

Re: Decoys - 11/07/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
David Maas, did your pastor ever make it all the way to Austin on horse back? thats where he was headed right?

Yes sir he did
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Decoys - 11/07/18 10:10 PM

no dead can's... guess cause they used bottles.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Decoys - 11/08/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale

Don’t have an address there. 🤷‍♂️ And I have to work Saturday. Should be able to close on the property soon and maybe we can go shoot some.

up Congrats on getting your piece of Heaven on Earth
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum