Texas Hunting Forum

Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season?

Posted By: Cole4544

Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/18/18 11:37 PM

When it starts getting really cold are you guys doing anything special to keep your dog's warm during public or private hunts?

I already use an neoprene vest on her and I've cut it to fit.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/19/18 03:37 AM

Don't just cut it but tailor it using neoprene cement. Google it and you'll find some details on how.

Always have a place that is dry and protected from the wind for your dog to be.

Be extremely careful on long retrieves in ice and extreme temperatures.
Posted By: Cole4544

Re: Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/19/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Don't just cut it but tailor it using neoprene cement. Google it and you'll find some details on how.

Be extremely careful on long retrieves in ice and extreme temperatures.

I already tailor the vest; neoprene cement and double stitching. All you guys just slap a vest on your dog and that's good 'nuff?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/19/18 02:17 PM

I hunted my pup all last season and she was fine without a vest, it was her first season. The key is to keep your dog out of the water between retrieves, either on the bank or on a dog stand. Also don’t shampoo your dog, they need the natural oils to shed water. My lab is now 2 years old, she has never had a shampoo, labs don’t need it. She gets out of the water and shakes and is dang near dry. My dog gets colder on long boat rides than hunting.

That being said, I do plan on getting her a vest this year, mainly for the long cold boat rides and they protect your dog from hazards in the water. Ask Gdog about that, his dog got gashed open on the side, had to drive his dog an hour to find emergency and get her stitched up.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/19/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

That's what I do with a golden that is definitely less cold tolerant than some labs I've been around. I do limit long swimming retrieves thought.

If we're in open water and it's real windy, cloudy and cold I may drape a nylon camo sheet over him. Sun's out? No problem even sitting in ice (against my better judgement)

Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: Doing Anything Special to Keep Your Pup Warm This Season? - 10/20/18 01:35 AM

I leave mine at home with a nice cozy rug to lay on
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum