Texas Hunting Forum

Going north for Canada geese/ duck

Posted By: wal1809

Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 02:38 PM

I am going north to shoot Canada geese and ducks. Who where and why says the green screen. I am not a big commercial operation type of customer. I prefer a mom and pop but quality hunt. I don't have to have a barrel burner but real and quality are what I seek. No high fenced birds for me.

Go!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 03:18 PM

Sounds like a heck of an adventure, doing public? I’m going to make that trip one day.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 03:48 PM

Sounds like a bunch of fun
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 03:55 PM

I can give you a few places to check if you’re looking for public land mallards and geese. Shoot me a pm

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 05:35 PM

We are either hooking up with JP and his group or we are headed to Hutchinson KS. There is an outfitter there we are considering.

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/13/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Sounds like a heck of an adventure, doing public? I’m going to make that trip one day.

We might do a day or two of public. We are considering two outfitters. One in Nebraska off the platte and the other in Hutchinson. I am sick to death of working and I need to go murder a bird in a far away place.
Posted By: Critterskinner

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/16/18 11:52 PM

I know an awesome outfitter in Colorado. Feathered Fowl Outfitters. I have hunted with him in Saskatchewan and Colorado every year for the past six years. Top notch guy that will put you on the birds.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/17/18 02:29 AM

The best Canada goose hunting I ever experienced was near Devils Lake North Dakota in the mid 1960's. Back then if you had a military sticker on your windshield the farmers always let you hunt, sometimes even joined us.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Going north for Canada geese/ duck - 09/22/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
.......or we are headed to Hutchinson KS.

A guide? In Hutchinson? Seriously? You were given the key to the kingdom, all the effort I've seen you put into killing geese, I don't know why and the world you didn't follow up with at least a phone call. Getting hooked up in that clique is darn near impossible if you're not in the biz.

The fella that we met in the cafe, the one that owns the insurance agency specializing in crop insurance, he gave us all one of his business cards and an invitation.

100+ texts by 3am, GPS coords on a pinned gmap. And an agricultural pest waiver.

Ag insurance adjusters/reps/salesmen in KS know a heck of a lot more about where the birds are than anyone I've ever met. They're throwing a lot of money and technology to minimize paying claims. n invite from the owner of an insurance company that underwrites 70% of the crop insurance policies in the state is gonna change you're perspective of hunting up there. Hunting, lodging and meals were free and $100 a day on a prepaid AMEX to cover our gas.

Every time we've gone Gene has fixed us up with some interesting and generous perks on their nickel. Getting detailed reports of birds via text every four hours from some type of operations center, it still trips me out when I think about it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum