Texas Hunting Forum

It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say

Posted By: Slimpickin

It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/15/18 04:00 PM

Looks like a wet hunting season this year if you trust the weatherman. scared
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/15/18 04:58 PM

'15-'16 was a great season for those that scout and followed the rising water! Hope it happens again. cheers
Posted By: wal1809

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/21/18 12:56 PM

I trust the weather people about as much as I would trust an ex-wife.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/21/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

The more I keep up with the forecast the more i realize they really have no clue further out than a couple days.

With temperatures i think it's more predictable but rain chances change daily all the way up to the day before.

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/21/18 04:07 PM

But, but, but... the weather guy showed a growing big red blob on a map of the Pacific.

Either way, every season is about adapting. Figure it out and roll with the flow.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/21/18 08:36 PM

when the el nino pattern happens, we do get more moisture, but ive never had moisture or lack there of make or break a duck season

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/23/18 02:16 PM

Where is Beaver with all the doom and gloom "it's never going to rain again" comments...
Posted By: nate33

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/24/18 12:46 AM

We need water for quail, not ducks ------- if it is dry in central Tx., and a lot of the ponds dry up --it concentrates the ducks in the ones that are left. Makes for better duck hunting here.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/24/18 01:34 AM

The only rainfall info I pay attention to comes from beaversnipe
Posted By: therancher

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/24/18 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

The more I keep up with the forecast the more i realize they really have no clue further out than a couple days.

With temperatures i think it's more predictable but rain chances change daily all the way up to the day before.

And yet, people actually believe climate “scientists” can predict what’s going to happen decades from now. roflmao
Posted By: snake oil

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/25/18 12:54 PM

Well I'm hoping they are right.....
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/25/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
The only rainfall info I pay attention to comes from beaversnipe

It's his duck forecast that is always on!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 06/26/18 12:57 AM

100% correct
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 07/10/18 03:21 AM

Where is Beaver with all the doom and gloom "it's never going to rain again" comments...

Yeppers:

Compare the map in july 2018 to July 2017, it dont look good

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 07/10/18 04:18 AM

Delkus calls the beav.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 07/10/18 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Delkus calls the beav.

Delkus has the Beav on speeddial.
He only calls the Beav when his sleeves are rolled up though
Posted By: nocknload

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 07/11/18 02:07 PM

Fishing ought to be good too
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/15/18 04:11 PM

...and so it begins....
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/15/18 05:07 PM

You nailed that
Posted By: Guy

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/15/18 05:25 PM

I never have figured out what El Niño is. Is that spanish? Do I have to press 1 for English?

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/15/18 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I never have figured out what El Niño is. Is that spanish? Do I have to press 1 for English?

Yes, it's Spanish for The Niño. Ur welcome...

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/15/18 05:48 PM

That rain a few weeks ago resulted in the best North TX early teal hunt I've had since the last El Niño.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

And yet, people actually believe climate “scientists” can predict what’s going to happen decades from now.

roflmao

DING, DING DING....we have a WINNER!!!
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 04:15 PM

So far they are looking pretty spot on on the forecast.

I just hope the cold and snow keep coming up north...

Posted By: tsasunkawitka

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 04:30 PM

I didn't mow my lawn as much this year. Looks like I've triggered an ice age! Sorry guys!
Posted By: David Maas

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Big Don still MAGA
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

But... but.... but... what about global warming?
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/16/18 11:46 PM

with all of the flooded/wet standing grain north of us now, we could be in for some low numbers of grain eating ducks and geese if it doesn't get cut. Only thing we could pray for is some serious snow in the mid west if it doesn't get cut. temps won't matter much if there's grain available, they'll find water somewhere

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 10/17/18 09:09 PM

They'll get here. When it's wet, west is best. Panhandle will be loaded up this year.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 01/14/19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
They'll get here. When it's wet, west is best. Panhandle will be loaded up this year.

Can you explain this? What's out west that they like, especially with as dry as it is up there this year.

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 01/15/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Can you explain this? What's out west that they like, especially with as dry as it is up there this year.

I won't guess as to why, but there is a very clear pattern based on TX regional duck counts going back to the 80's.

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 01/15/19 03:26 PM

I thought it had been wet in West Texas this year?

Ponds all looked full and tons of grain on the ground when I was out there last week.

The panhandle down to Odonnell is full of birds!
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say - 01/15/19 04:40 PM

I won't guess as to why, but there is a very clear pattern based on TX regional duck counts going back to the 80's.

Is that pattern a secret? I know nothing about ducks, trying to learn, hence the questions.

Brady buck, the panhandle up by Amarillo is still extremely dry, but I'd assume there's grain as always.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum