Texas Hunting Forum

Richland-Chambers Resevoir

Posted By: ProximoMetalica

Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/01/18 03:11 AM

I just purchased 48 acres in Richland, Texas. The property has a 7 acre lake on it that has 4 acre of flooded timber on it. The property is about 3 miles from the Richland-Chambers resevoir. The previous owner says there are quite a few ducks in the timber during the season. Is anyone familiar with this area and can I expect to see a consistent number of ducks in the area since its so close to the lake? Or will the lake draw most of the birds?
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/01/18 03:59 AM

I have had some really good hunts on the lake and some on the North unit of Richland Creek WMA. The WMA holds a lot of birds but there is always way to many people hunting it when it is open to the public. The general area definitely holds birds though. It seems some years they roost and stay on the lake and then other years they roost on the lake and then fly to other tanks around the area.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/01/18 11:50 AM

I suspect it will do very well. Being close to the lake is a plus. But you realky won’t know what you have till you go through a full season. I had a lease between RC and N Mills, it had tons of birds but all gadwalls and ringers. If your flooded timber produces acorns could be a mallard hot spot. Good luck.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/01/18 12:57 PM

Ring necks and gadwall should be seen often, wouldn’t surprise me one bit if there are resident woodies there. Consistently seeing ducks has to do with what your providing for them and how often your shooting at them
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/02/18 04:09 AM

....I.....I feel like we should be best friends??
Posted By: ProximoMetalica

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/02/18 05:01 AM

No resident woodies on the property. I am going to build several nesting boxes before next spring to hopefully keep some wood ducks in the area. Any ideas as to food sources that I could plant for next year?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/02/18 12:51 PM

I wouldn't do anything this season, give it a season and see what happens naturally, and read up on the subject. But I would go pennsylvania smartweed, get that established and it will come back every year naturally. It seems to work great on Texas public lakes.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/02/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
....I.....I feel like we should be best friends??

clap
Posted By: rickym

Re: Richland-Chambers Resevoir - 05/02/18 05:59 PM

Pm sent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum