Texas Hunting Forum

Dove field

Posted By: TGalyon1

Dove field - 03/07/18 06:54 PM

Our land owner said he will plant some of his field for us to hunt dove next year. Question would you buy the Dove mix like Turner Seed sales or would you just plant sunflower. Not sure how big area yet, but we buy the seed and he said he will plant it.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Dove field - 03/07/18 06:55 PM

Sunflower!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove field - 03/07/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
Sunflower!
Posted By: JTS

Re: Dove field - 03/07/18 08:37 PM

Would you guys just pland the black oil sunflower from the feed store?

Re: Dove field - 03/08/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JTS
Would you guys just pland the black oil sunflower from the feed store?

? ^
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Dove field - 03/08/18 03:27 PM

You need peredovic sunflowers, or hybrid oil (more expensive). Yes you can get them at the feed store, just make sure they are seed for planting, not for backyard feeding. Don't use the confectionary ones, made that mistake before. The more you put into field preparation, the better your stand...long as mother nature plays along.

Here's the guide from MS State. I'm sure TX A&M has one also, but couldn't find it.

https://extension.msstate.edu/sites/default/files/publications/publications/p2725.pdf
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Dove field - 03/08/18 08:37 PM

16ga thanks for posting that information.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Dove field - 03/10/18 06:44 PM

Look up Turner Seed they have all kinds and there good to deal with
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove field - 03/10/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue

^^^^This
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dove field - 03/11/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
Sunflower!

Re: Dove field - 03/29/18 07:22 PM

If anyone is reading this for them self to plant, just got off phone with Turner Seed. They said that I do not want peredovic sunflower. The guy at Turner said that peredovic seed mature in 60 days I think. He said if you plant them in the time frame they will be done and gone by June. He recommended using native but I am past the plant time for them. His second recommendation is Black Oil. He said if I plant them next few weeks they will be mature end July middle August.
Guy at Turner said Peredovic at use to feed dove but the seed will be gone by September.

Also if anyone need them around Garland / Dallas area Roach Feed and Seed has Black oil sunflower.
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Dove field - 03/29/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TGalyon1
If anyone is reading this for them self to plant, just got off phone with Turner Seed. They said that I do not want peredovic sunflower. The guy at Turner said that peredovic seed mature in 60 days I think. He said if you plant them in the time frame they will be done and gone by June. He recommended using native but I am past the plant time for them. His second recommendation is Black Oil. He said if I plant them next few weeks they will be mature end July middle August.
Guy at Turner said Peredovic at use to feed dove but the seed will be gone by September.

Also if anyone need them around Garland / Dallas area Roach Feed and Seed has Black oil sunflower.

90 to 100 day maturity on Perodovik, they are a black oil sunflower seed, and you are correct, if you plant them april 15 they will be mature between july 15 and july 25, that would be 90 to 100 days. So you need to plant them may 1-15. Maybe you being further south and having more light matures them faster, but all Perodovik we've ever planted was 90 to 100 days depending on sun and rain. We plant them by may 15 and begin bushhogging strips middle of august.

Re: Dove field - 03/30/18 02:08 AM

You can plant hybrids now
Posted By: leswad

Re: Dove field - 04/08/18 04:03 AM

^^^^This
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Dove field - 04/13/18 11:38 AM

Maybe even half Sunflower, half millet.. millet closer to the sun so not shaded by the sunflower.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Dove field - 04/21/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: leswad

^^^^This

Ditto...BUT have the soil tested or you are wasting money.

Re: Dove field - 04/22/18 01:44 PM

Sunflowers are a weed and will grow ant wheres
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum