Texas Hunting Forum

Scouting with a drone?

Posted By: BarneyWho

Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 04:39 AM

Anyone else tried it? Works pretty well. This spot looks good enough even 90% of THF couldn't mess this hunt up. lizard

Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 04:49 AM

If shooting cormorants is your thing, yes.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 12:24 PM

Be it known. I'd be in the 10%.

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 02:54 PM

Didn't take long.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 03:06 PM

Beaversnipe said the lack of rain wouldn’t allow any birds down so I sold all my [censored]
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Didn't take long.

Dangit Darren is on em.
Posted By: Youngone2016

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 07:11 PM

That’s awesome!!!
Posted By: mnsherick

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 07:32 PM

Yes, been budgeting to get one myself for this very reason.

up

-Matt
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/20/18 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Youngone2016
That’s awesome!!!
Posted By: takemking

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/21/18 04:23 PM

What kind of drone are you running Barney? What kind of air time do you get out of it? What kind of range out away from you can it go? Seems to have pretty good pic quality.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/21/18 11:29 PM

Outstanding. First year we have shot more pintails than mallards.

Been a great year. I have a DJ Mavic. It’s incredible.
Posted By: brianaustintx

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/21/18 11:40 PM

Awesome!! I was asking about this regarding hog, definitely feel like it can work! I'm going to use it for scouting.

But, also make sure you're safe with the rules https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/aerial_wl_management/

"The Aerial Wildlife Management (AWM) Permit is a permit issued by Texas Parks and Wildlife to count, photograph, capture, or take wildlife or exotic animals by use of aircraft, including unmanned aircraft systems (drones)."
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/22/18 01:17 PM

Who said he was in Texas?

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/22/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: nacgoat08
Who said he was in Texas?

True, but many other states have the same laws. And hell, he could even already have the AWM permit/already know about what I'm saying! I'm just saying be careful...

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/24/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: takemking
What kind of drone are you running Barney? What kind of air time do you get out of it? What kind of range out away from you can it go? Seems to have pretty good pic quality.

Phantom III advanced. Air time depends on how strong the wind is. I'd say on average around 40 minutes per battery. Definitely get several battery packs if you buy one for scouting. Range is around 3 miles. Again that depends on your line of sight to the drone. Yeah, cameras on these things are pretty nice. those were screen captures. I'm sure there are better ways to capture the pictures from the video than a screen shot for quality. I also believe you can put Go Pros on some of the drones if you wish.

Originally Posted By: brianaustintx
But, also make sure you're safe with the rules https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/aerial_wl_management/

"The Aerial Wildlife Management (AWM) Permit is a permit issued by Texas Parks and Wildlife to count, photograph, capture, or take wildlife or exotic animals by use of aircraft, including unmanned aircraft systems (drones)."

It's all good. We were our looking for lost cattle and happened to find some ducks. grin nuts

We got them pretty good again yesterday.

Posted By: TDK

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/24/18 11:20 PM

No missed calls from you...
Posted By: LTC Realty

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/25/18 01:49 PM

I dont even know you but still double checking my phone hoping you called or texted ha
Posted By: TDK

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/25/18 04:45 PM

Dont ride my coattails bud!
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/25/18 09:53 PM

It's always great to see such bright smiles after a good hunt.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/26/18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: takemking

Phantom III advanced. Air time depends on how strong the wind is. I'd say on average around 40 minutes per battery. Definitely get several battery packs if you buy one for scouting. Range is around 3 miles. Again that depends on your line of sight to the drone. Yeah, cameras on these things are pretty nice. those were screen captures. I'm sure there are better ways to capture the pictures from the video than a screen shot for quality. I also believe you can put Go Pros on some of the drones if you wish.

It's all good. We were our looking for lost cattle and happened to find some ducks. grin nuts

We got them pretty good again yesterday.

you were camoed up so the cattle couldn't see you?
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/27/18 03:18 PM

hey I know those dogs

Re: Scouting with a drone? - 01/27/18 04:06 PM

Haha, I like the sounds of that! laugh I'm also really happy that this worked well for you guys. Been wanting to use my p4p for the same reason...good to see you didnt spook any! I might have to give it a shot next season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum