Texas Hunting Forum

Best bang for the buck

Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 04:04 AM

What are the best duck decoys for the money?
Posted By: john paul

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 01:45 PM

Buy nice once and you won't have to buy again. I love my avians but for durability you can not beat G&H. They will literally last you 20 years if you take somewhat decent care of them.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 01:56 PM

Used ones. IMO, folks care wayyyy to much about decoys. Number and placement definitely matter, but the details of the paint or quality of the plastic wont matter (aside from leak durability).

If you cant buy used, I think the GHG hot buys are good value. I've painted these things with spray paint into a bunch of different species and killed ducks over them.

Don't over think it too much and good luck!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 02:02 PM

G&H.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 02:18 PM

From what I can see and tell G&H or Avians. I have Avians now for 4 years and they are just like like they were 4 years ago. A couple have been shot but no problem. G&H cause they seem to get great reviews but I have never used them. Everybody talks about the cost of the better decoys today but from a realistic point of view....they are gonna last it seems like forever. Divide the cost into the years and decoys are pretty cheap Imo.
Posted By: Danno

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: oilag
Used ones. IMO, folks care wayyyy to much about decoys. Number and placement definitely matter, but the details of the paint or quality of the plastic wont matter (aside from leak durability).

If you cant buy used, I think the GHG hot buys are good value. I've painted these things with spray paint into a bunch of different species and killed ducks over them.

This! Heck, Clorox bottles painted all black and some black & white will pull ducks in. Decoys are like fishing lures - designed to attract customers...
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 05:44 PM

My avian x are 6-7 years old and still look good
Posted By: Guy

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: oilag

This! Heck, Clorox bottles painted all black and some black & white will pull ducks in. Decoys are like fishing lures - designed to attract customers...

I can assure you, if you do a scientific study, realistic decoys vs painted bottles, the study would show you will decoy more birds with realistic decoys. I hunted for years and never shot a pintail until I got pintail deeks, then I started consistently decoying them. And skittish birds, that circle and circle and never commit and you are scratching your head wondering why they are not committing, hunting over painted bottles would be the first thing I would change.

Now if you are hunting small private pond loaded with birds, you don’t need any decoys. You would probably kill more birds with no decoys than painted bottles tho.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 06:19 PM

Thank you for saying that, I was about to ask how many people recommending the cheapest spray painted option possible actually hunt with them.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Best bang for the buck - 01/15/18 08:01 PM

I hunted with 3 dozen decoys today and 2 pulsators.
They flared the first 30 min and 7 groups of 5-12 ducks landed in the pond next to me.
I pulled all decoys out, except for the 2 pulsators, and they decoyed very well after that. Hidgon pulsator are on back order,they were completely sold out on x mas, i got the last two.
I spoke to the lady, and she said it was their nr 1 item. They thought they ordered enough.
There is a reason for that. They do work.
I will buy 2 more in february. Ultimately, i would like to have 6.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum