Texas Hunting Forum

Is it worth an evening hunt?

Posted By: wacoducks

Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 04:04 PM

Went and scouted a hole yesterday around 2pm and managed to find around 50 gadwalls feeding in this slough, watched them for a while and slipped out before they saw me. What are yall's opinions sit it tonight? or wait to hunt it in a morning?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 04:32 PM

I've only hunted in the morning unless we were jumping ponds....
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BradleyMcCaw
Went and scouted a hole yesterday around 2pm and managed to find around 50 gadwalls feeding in this slough, watched them for a while and slipped out before they saw me. What are yall's opinions sit it tonight? or wait to hunt it in a morning?

If they were already there at 2pm, that means they came in before 2pm (captain obvious here!) and an evening hunt wouldn't get you there before them...

Wait and hunt it in the morning.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 04:53 PM

I've had a little luck pushing ducks out of holes mid afternoon and letting them trickle back in but usually we get burned when we try to do it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
I've had a little luck pushing ducks out of holes mid afternoon and letting them trickle back in but usually we get burned when we try to do it.

I've never had any luck waiting for them to come back.....just bust them on the jump and move to the next water hole....

I'd wait til morning....
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 05:39 PM

If you push them off they'll likely leave and won't come back at least till morning.

Most likely roosting somewhere else and then hitting that hole to feed in the morning. Should be able to get onnthem if you'll set up before LST in the morning.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 06:44 PM

morning
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 06:54 PM

What else is around you that holds ducks? If they are roosting elsewhere and using this as a rest or water hole, sleep in and hunt mid morning to early afternoon. Loafing spots are the best to shoot, you don't bust up the roost, and you don't have to get up at butt crack of dawn.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Is it worth an evening hunt? - 01/12/18 07:21 PM

Since it’s gadwall, I’d be there in the morning early like you would hunt any other time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum