Texas Hunting Forum

Planting for ducks

Posted By: rickym

Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 04:37 PM

Im hoping to plant one of our ponds next year. It is 1 acre wide by 5 acres long. Average depth is waist deep. I have no way of pumping water in and out, though it usually looses about 18" of water each summer.

What would you fellas plant, im thinking just duck weed since it floats around. Mainly planting for woodies, teal, gadwall and mallards. But mainly woodies
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 04:43 PM

Always can look into wild rice aswell... that’s what I’ve been thinking about doing can be planted in water from 6-36 inches deep... it’s hit or miss on the growth success rate but is not too expensive! Only reason keeping me from duck weed is it tends to take over the pond and is very hard for a dog to swim through
Posted By: rickym

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 05:07 PM

Not worried about it taking over as I have a “rake” to drag behind the boat and clear half of it every year. I don’t hunt with a dog so that’s not a worry
Posted By: js4242

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 07:32 PM

If you can't control the water I would go with duckweed. I tried planting a number of different tubers and it did not go well. Either they didn't come up or the turtles got them. Water fluctuated heavily and most likely they didn't get the sunlight they needed. Best of luck.
Posted By: Woodlands Water Turkey

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 08:29 PM

It is hard to do without being able to manipulate water levels.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/05/18 08:34 PM

I put some duck weed in my pond and in about a month it was all gone
Posted By: KnightlingersGunDogs

Re: Planting for ducks - 01/07/18 05:44 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum