Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Calls

Posted By: Dfwguy

Texas Calls - 12/18/17 10:06 PM

I'm looking to get a new call around $100. Cheaper doesn't hurt either. I'm a fan of local stuff. Anyone have any suggestions? Always liked the look and sound of the Quack Shack...just looking to see what else you guys might suggest.

Wayne - are you still making calls?
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Texas Calls - 12/18/17 10:14 PM

check out fowlaholic out of Crosby , Texas. They make a pretty good call in your price range.
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Texas Calls - 12/18/17 10:18 PM

Scott Rowe with Zrowe Calls out of Crawford make some killer stuff. Might be more than $100 though
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 02:27 AM

Dfwguy not for 2 years now. The first flood I was busy cleaning up and fixing the house. The second flood kicked our arses bad. Even the duck call making shack got flooded. The house has been moved and we are 3 weeks from finishing.

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 02:38 AM

I am also going to change the toneboard. I will be switching to an upslope tone board.
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 02:41 AM

Cadence Calls...only TX guy I know that cuts his own tone boards. Most guys are just using Echo polycarbonate inserts, which are great, but they all sound the same no matter the barrel.
Posted By: Fowl Language

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 03:47 AM

woot
Posted By: pdt818

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 03:01 PM

JB Custom Calls out of the Baytown area is a solid choice. Joe is a stand-up guy and takes his time to sit down with you to tune the call to your liking.

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRunner
Cadence Calls...only TX guy I know that cuts his own tone boards. Most guys are just using Echo polycarbonate inserts, which are great, but they all sound the same no matter the barrel.

I cut my own, well I did anyway. I was using a standard jig and filling it from there. It takes more wind than what I like. When I get back at it, I will make an upslope toneboard and get it to my liking. THen I will send it off to have a hardened steel jig made in replica of that tone board. That way I can repeat the process over and over with the same results.

For those interested Pintail sells a lot of duck call products. I have used them a lot with excellent customer satisfaction. Here is the custom jig
http://www.pintailwaterfowl.com/product-category/call-making-tools/

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 03:53 PM

I like Cadence Custom Calls. I started off to make acrylics but changed that near immediately. Acrylics are so impersonal. IMHO there is nothing finer than a good custom wooden call. Taking it from rough cut to a finished tung or velvet oil polish with a brass band around it is just old school classy. I feel fortunate I bought about 100 board feet of cocbolo before the ban on importing it went into law.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I feel fortunate I bought about 100 board feet of cocbolo before the ban on importing it went into law.

That's a lot of wood, for such a small per-unit need! You are stocked!
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 06:49 PM

Copeland Duck calls. They're all I run these days.

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Originally Posted By: wal1809
I feel fortunate I bought about 100 board feet of cocbolo before the ban on importing it went into law.

That's a lot of wood, for such a small per-unit need! You are stocked!

It was an expensive endeavor I assure you.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Texas Calls - 12/19/17 09:51 PM

Great feedback. I'll take a look!
Posted By: TXhuntfish96

Re: Texas Calls - 12/20/17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Copeland Duck calls. They're all I run these days.

I'm surprised more people haven't said Copeland. I really like mine as well.
Posted By: Team Porkchop

Re: Texas Calls - 12/25/17 09:28 AM

Check out Talkin Fowl.
https://www.facebook.com/talkinfowlcalls/?ref=bookmarks
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Texas Calls - 12/26/17 01:28 AM

Walker's waterfowl calls, Jefferson.
Posted By: cheyne

Re: Texas Calls - 12/26/17 11:45 PM

www.slinginsteele.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum