Texas Hunting Forum

What would you do?

Posted By: RockDocJoe

What would you do? - 11/20/17 08:54 PM

I've got a story/situation I wanted to see what y'all thought:

It was opening day on a medium sized private lake (~30 acres). My buddy and I were going out to have some fun, no boat, and only about a dozen decoys - neither of us have the room or money to expand yet. Well, it was about 30 minutes before shooting light, we see a car pull up, a few people head to the water, and then they get into a boat and start boating around the whole lake. They come up close to where we are, shine their light right at us, we wave and acknowledge them. We are almost set up at this time, our dozen decoys in the water and still working on a brush blind. The guys go and park on the best side of the lake, which we unfortunately do not have access to by foot, but I figure some ducks will fly our way, some will fly theirs. Since it was already close to shooting light, I assumed they couldn't have too many decoys to set out. As the sun comes up, we realize we will likely be seeing no ducks - the other guys had ~75-100 decoys out, in the best wind direction, with their floating blind, versus our dozen decoys, on the shore with a headwind (the only spot we had access to), and a makeshift brush blind.

So my questions - what would you have done if you were the two people in the boat and you saw my friend and I on the shore, before first shooting light?

And also flip it - what advice would you give to me hunting this lake in the future? - I only have access to the North Shore (predominantly a head wind) and will for the foreseeable future be hunting from shore with a minimal decoy spread.

Any protocol, courtesy, first come first serve, etc. aside, I was most annoyed that they got ~50 birds (in maybe 10 different groups) into their decoy set, but only harvested 10 or 11.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:04 PM

...it's a 30 acre lake and they went to the other side of the lake. What more do you want them to do? Hand you their dead ducks?
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter

It was opening day on a medium sized private lake (~30 acres). My buddy and I were going out to have some fun, no boat, and only about a dozen decoys - neither of us have the room or money to expand yet. Well, it was about 30 minutes before shooting light, we see a car pull up, a few people head to the water, and then they get into a boat and start boating around the whole lake. They come up close to where we are, shine their light right at us, we wave and acknowledge them. We are almost set up at this time, our dozen decoys in the water and still working on a brush blind. The guys go and park on the best side of the lake, which we unfortunately do not have access to by foot, but I figure some ducks will fly our way, some will fly theirs. Since it was already close to shooting light, I assumed they couldn't have too many decoys to set out. As the sun comes up, we realize we will likely be seeing no ducks - the other guys had ~75-100 decoys out, in the best wind direction, with their floating blind, versus our dozen decoys, on the shore with a headwind (the only spot we had access to), and a makeshift brush blind.

So my question - what would you have done if you were the two people in the boat and you saw my friend and I on the shore, before first shooting light?

Any protocol, courtesy, first come first serve, etc. aside, I was most annoyed that they got ~50 birds (in maybe 10 different groups) into their decoy set, but only harvested 10 or 11.

Are you saying you didn't get any flyovers? That's hard to imagine.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:33 PM

If I'm hunting a 30 acre lake that I've leased and there was already a group there on the wrong side... I would quickly come to the conclusion that they don't know what they're doing so I'd stay clear. I'd get in my boat, head to the right side, throw out all my dekes, and do what I paid to do.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:42 PM

I had to start over. I assumed you were on a public lake. I am not sure how you have other hunters you do not know in a boat on a private lake. But to answer your question. Your in a terrible spot, so I would not have stopped and asked if y'all wanted us to hunt together there. And I'm in a boat so I would go to the end of the lake as far away from you as possible, but still be able to decoy birds. It's opening day. There are not many opening days in a lifetime. I would bring my A game, my best decoys, large decoy spread, motion decoys, and extra attention to concealment, etc.

"versus our dozen decoys, on the shore with a headwind (the only spot we had access to), and a makeshift brush blind".
In that situation I might have welcomed them being at the end of the lake to keep the birds pushed off of the X. Otherwise I doubt I would be able to compete with several dozen real ducks feeding on another side of the lake.

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:42 PM

We were on the north side, they were on the east side, so no, not other side of the lake, about 200 yards away, maybe. All but two sets flew away west-southwest. We had 3 flyovers and 1 bird that came into our set to shoot at all morning.

I'm not saying they did anything wrong, I was just curious what y'all thought.

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
If I'm hunting a 30 acre lake that I've leased and there was already a group there on the wrong side... I would quickly come to the conclusion that they don't know what they're doing so I'd stay clear. I'd get in my boat, head to the right side, throw out all my dekes, and do what I paid to do.

It's a lake with 4 properties that have access, a friend of the family being one of them. Of the 10 or so times I've been out there in or out of season, I've never seen anyone else on the lake.

All that to say - I would think the family friend would have told us if there was a lease on the lake now, but I don't know how all that works.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:52 PM

Yeah I would have done what others said, move on about my day and hunt where I wanted to. I'm all about making friends in the parking lot in shorts and flip flops, with guns and decoys out, I have no real interest in getting to know anyone.

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:52 PM

If they setup that close on a 30 acre lake then that was kind of a chicken chit thing to do. In that case I would have gone way away from you and hunted a cross wind. I typically will not hunt with folks I don't know tho cuz I don't know how they handle their guns. I've done it twice... once an ol fella that had been hunting longer than I have been alive (and I'm not young) and once recently with a guy that I could immediately tell was military.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 09:53 PM

We were on the north side, they were on the east side, so no, not other side of the lake, about 200 yards away, maybe. All but two sets flew away west-southwest. We had 3 flyovers and 1 bird that came into our set to shoot at all morning.

I'm not saying they did anything wrong, I was just curious what y'all thought.

" far away from you as possible, but still be able to decoy birds". If the 30 acre lake were round, your only talking about a diameter of 430 yards. 200 yards away is pretty generous of them.
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 10:10 PM

If they setup that close on a 30 acre lake then that was kind of a chicken chit thing to do. In that case I would have gone way away from you and hunted a cross wind. I typically will not hunt with folks I don't know tho cuz I don't know how they handle their guns. I've done it twice... once an ol fella that had been hunting longer than I have been alive (and I'm not young) and once recently with a guy that I could immediately tell was military.

I just have to ask what about him made you know he was military?,..................

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ojai Hunter

I just have to ask what about him made you know he was military?,..................

Well, he was late and it was daylight. Saw what he was wearing and his gear... so I asked.
Posted By: Fowl Language

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 10:37 PM

200 yards away is plenty far. I've hunted closer than that and still had a great hunt.
Big spread or not, if you're not on the X, then the birds aren't coming your way.
I would suggest a Ryobi LED spotlight. Hit them with the high beam and they may think your 50 yards away and move on down further.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 10:37 PM

Me. I'd figure out how to get across the lake.

Couple tubes? Inflatable raft at the dollar General?
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: What would you do? - 11/20/17 11:19 PM

Can't see that they did anything even slightly unsportsmanlike or had poor etiquette. They are simply better equipped for duck hunting than you.

You can pick up a kayak/canoe/fishing raft on craigslist. The cheapest option would be make a friend with a boat. I know a guy that will show up with a mud boat and 100 decoys for access to your private lake! banana

Re: What would you do? - 11/21/17 07:41 PM

Haha! Well, if I was able to give access, this would be a different conversation!
Posted By: BDB

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 02:04 AM

So my questions - what would you have done if you were the two people in the boat and you saw my friend and I on the shore, before first shooting light?

And also flip it - what advice would you give to me hunting this lake in the future? - I only have access to the North Shore (predominantly a head wind) and will for the foreseeable future be hunting from shore with a minimal decoy spread.

A cheap 12 ft John boat would solve your problems. surely y'all can afford that? maybe you don't have space to store it or something but if funds are stopping you then you have to ask how are you able afford to hunt anyhow? I do think they set up to close to you. 200 yards in hunting is very short distance. I once asked a guy who had been duck hunting a few years how far he sets up from others....he replied 50 yards was plenty on public loco
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 03:08 PM

These are good questions and the responses are how you learn. Keep it up.

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 04:04 PM

BDB:

A quick search for jon boat on craiglist brings up one for $600 - that's about my hunting/fun budget for the year - last year was my gun, ammo, and license, this year - a bow (to open up more deer and hog hunting public lands), ammo, license and a dozen decoys, next year - a boat and a house to store it? roflmao

It does sound like a boat is the best course of action - it may end up being an inflatable kayak and some camo netting and solo hunting on that lake. Definitely getting my brain thinking, thanks y'all!
Posted By: Cochise

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 04:36 PM

BDB:

A quick search for jon boat on craiglist brings up one for $600 - that's about my hunting/fun budget for the year - last year was my gun, ammo, and license, this year - a bow (to open up more deer and hog hunting public lands), ammo, license and a dozen decoys, next year - a boat and a house to store it? roflmao

It does sound like a boat is the best course of action - it may end up being an inflatable kayak and some camo netting and solo hunting on that lake. Definitely getting my brain thinking, thanks y'all!

Do not get an inflatable kayak.

You can get a 10' sit on top in the 179-300 range easily. Get a decoy sled for your decoys..it's not hard to paddle with it tied on to the kayak. Easiest way to do it.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 06:25 PM

You can find a used canoe or kayak on Craigslist for cheap. I've had an old canoe for years hat I bought for 50$. Don't get an inflatable.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 06:28 PM

Posted By: BDB

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 09:50 PM

BDB:

I gotcha. Storage seems to be the biggie. If your patient you can find 12ft boat for couple hundred. They are not much to look at but that boat with some spray paint and couple paddles your good to go. I say 12ft cause it can be shoved in the back of a pickup...no trailer needed.

Good luck on it.
Posted By: tigger

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/17 10:08 PM

There is not way this quail hunter can show proper appreciation for the problems encountered on public land duck hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum