Texas Hunting Forum

Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea.

Posted By: shooterwalter

Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 01:19 AM

I did this one season and I saw \more ducks than ever before./ I hear some say bad idea what you say
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 01:28 AM

That’s the go-to topwater method hunting private
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:39 AM

A lot of hunting clubs in Louisiana and South Texas do that wit massive spreads. I’m not sure if anybody knows the right answer I prefer not to. I tend to set up very different spreads. More motion- less decoys. I would say sun, Clouds and wind are a big determining factor.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:42 AM

Food and safety are the only thing on a ducks mind. Leaving decoys out is not going to help attract and hold ducks.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:50 AM

An old farmer in my area leaves 3 decoys on his pond year round. He doesn't like ducks or geese to make a home and hang around too long. He says that ducks will land, swim around for a minute, then leave cause they know it's fake. So leaving decoys out is a personal call i'd think. Are you hunting new birds, a feeding ground, a honey hole that they always go to...? gotta take it into account. In my experience, if I kill birds in a spot it normally isn't good the next day so I just go ahead and pick up.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: shooterwalter
I did this one season and I saw \more ducks than ever before./ I hear some say bad idea what you say

Ask Guy
Posted By: Guy

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 05:29 AM

Decoys work for bringing in ducks, obviously, but hurt with retaining ducks (I have never seen a duck excited to see a decoy, normally scared of them). So there is a positive/negative effect here, "net" I think its a bad idea. JMO.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 12:38 PM

If you have a pond holding ducks, what good would decoys do? I do not see how that would improve it. And if you have a pond that does not hold ducks, I guess what is the harm in leaving decoys out there, but I doubt that would improve the spot either. Plus it will not take long for decoys to start looking crappy sitting outside all the time, I good way to ruin a good set of decoys.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:09 PM

On public or private?
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:25 PM

only leave your decoys out if you want to hold a spot for the mornings hunt or had a bang up hunt and want to hold the spot for the next day. Unwritten rule is three days max leaving them out to hold a spot. After day three it's just unChristian.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:34 PM

I went and put mine out on Lavon this morning to hold my spot. Suckas
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub

That wasn't near my blind was it? Cuz I was out there 2 weeks ago building it and I'm rollin' in at LST to claim it.
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 03:16 PM

It's a great way to attract new birds. You have to have the right piece of water to make it usefull. Big water in high migration traffic. If not. I don't see an advantage. It will however pull down birds who had no intention of going there. I'm talking 100 decoys minimum. It's a party and everyone is invited.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

That wasn't near my blind was it? Cuz I was out there 2 weeks ago building it and I'm rollin' in at LST to claim it.

OOoo that was a blind? I thought it was a porta potty.. sorry flush
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 04:06 PM

I don't leave them out just because I don't want them to get sun bleached or to have scum grow on them.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 06:12 PM

I put an old decoy on a pond at my deer lease. Never made any difference on how often ducks showed up. But the pond was visible from a public road. I have replaced the decoy twice now due to road poachers jumping the pond and shooting my decoys.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 06:36 PM

I leave my decoys out and park my boat nearby with a light swinging on it. Then I swim back to the ramp and sleep in my truck where it's warm!

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I put an old decoy on a pond at my deer lease. Never made any difference on how often ducks showed up. But the pond was visible from a public road. I have replaced the decoy twice now due to road poachers jumping the pond and shooting my decoys.

mad

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 09:19 PM

OOoo that was a blind? I thought it was a porta potty.. sorry flush

Slash snake skinnin' rack... roflmao
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 09:51 PM

mad

Some guys on a lease i was on filled some decoys of mine full of holes.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

mad

Some guys on a lease on was on filled some decoys of mine full of holes.

speak English please clap
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 10:24 PM

Press 1 for english.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/10/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

mad

Some guys on a lease i was on filled some decoys of mine full of holes.

Only one other on my lease. I know he would not have done it. He has way more fun shooting my decoys in front of me.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Leaving decoys out a good or bad idea. - 11/11/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
only leave your decoys out if you want to hold a spot for the mornings hunt or had a bang up hunt and want to hold the spot for the next day. Unwritten rule is three days max leaving them out to hold a spot. After day three it's just unChristian.
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum