Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hunting on Texoma

Posted By: cobryan

Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 12:52 PM

Just trying to get some info on how the duck hunting on Lake Texoma works. I know for the fishing there is a special license, not assuming there is one for duck but just lookign for the following info.

1. Is there any other ramps on the Texas side west of 377, i know that there are a couple on the Oklahoma side.
2. Can you put in on the Oklahoma side and legally hunt if you only have Texas license.
3. If you have only a Texas license do you have to hunt the Texas side of the river.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 01:10 PM

All I can add is when I've hunted the Red Oklahoma rules the roost so to speak. I have to have both Tx and Ok license and Ok regulations go to the Tx bank where as Tx goes to center of river. At least thats how it was explained to me by tx GW.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
All I can add is when I've hunted the Red Oklahoma rules the roost so to speak. I have to have both Tx and Ok license and Ok regulations go to the Tx bank where as Tx goes to center of river. At least thats how it was explained to me by tx GW.

That is like 80% correct. You need to be 100% correct, a GPS will show you the border, and also tell you what county you are in. There are many hunting locations that are Texas, your post makes it sound like you can hunt those areas for the OK opener if you have an ok license.

Also if you bring ducks to an OK ramp, you better have an ok license.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 02:10 PM

Okie wardens love taking Texans money.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Okie wardens love taking Texans money.

This. Never been there and not been checked. Make sure you're 100% legal
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 03:16 PM

And we're naming lakes again, please be more respectful than this. there are different ways to go about this than posting a name of a lake. Can the moderators help remind ppl to refrain from this activity? I really enjoy this forum but when we start doing things like this, it ruins a lot more than it helps imho.

Pretty simple, don't name a lake.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Heisman25g
And we're naming lakes again, please be more respectful than this. there are different ways to go about this than posting a name of a lake. Can the moderators help remind ppl to refrain from this activity? I really enjoy this forum but when we start doing things like this, it ruins a lot more than it helps imho.

Pretty simple, don't name a lake.

Nothing wrong with this post.
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 03:27 PM

http://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c9788957300943559f7b49206e8ef153

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

That is like 80% correct. You need to be 100% correct, a GPS will show you the border, and also tell you what county you are in. There are many hunting locations that are Texas, your post makes it sound like you can hunt those areas for the OK opener if you have an ok license.

Also if you bring ducks to an OK ramp, you better have an ok license.

If the lake then I guess but I was referring to just the River. Its to my understanding that if you have both state license and Ok season is in but tx is closed your good to hunt all the way to the Tx bank....but not shoot toward Tx land or ok land . But if Tx season is open and lets say ok season is closed...you better go find another place to hunt lol. Ok rules trump tx rules the way it was explained to me.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:08 PM

@Heisman25G Really, Can you explain another way to ask these questions without stating Texoma, which is the only lake like this in the state of Texas that borders OK. Who cares if i ask a simple question. You act like there is only one spot on this lake to hunt and someone might find out that Texoma holds a lot of birds. You have no secret here sir.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:12 PM

1. Google earth
2. Call the game warden
3. See answer #2.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:13 PM

Just trying to get some info on how the duck hunting on the Big Ol Lake between Texas and Oklahoma that has the Red River running through it works. Is that better Heisman25G. You happy now that i didn't use the Lake Name
Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:18 PM

1. Google has the answers you seek.
2. No
3. Yes

Or, do I have that backwards... Can't remember. hammer

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:30 PM

I don't hunt that lake, had a friend go up there and it was an awful expierence to say the least so I don't waste my time. I don't like competing with a lot of guides anyway, but I'm sure there are ppl who do and they don't appreciate it. I'm more worried about a lake that I do hunt gets named and if you honestly don't think it has an effect on hunting traffic, you're wrong. I just want everyone to be respectful.

To answer your question, yes there is a different way to go about it than naming a lake. If you want proof, the internet used to not exist and ppl found answers to these questions.

I wish everyone a safe and successful season, I just don't want lake naming to be the norm on here. Don't want to upset anyone, just trying to remind everyone to be respectful. I'll leave it alone moving forward

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:50 PM

Go worry about your lake then, Was just trying to find out information from people that have hunted it so i didnt have to call a game warden. And yes i have used other means to try and find these answers, which were unclear hints why i asked here.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 04:55 PM

My man, I will go worry about my lake, thank you for the advice. I think you'll see by the previous responses, I'm not alone with how I feel. Hope it all works out for you.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: cobryan
Go worry about your lake then, Was just trying to find out information from people that have hunted it so i didnt have to call a game warden. And yes i have used other means to try and find these answers, which were unclear hints why i asked here.

This is exactly what the game wardens are here for. I've called the ones for the counties I hunt on multiple occasions. If something isn't clear, I want a response from the guy enforcing the rules, not an Internet forum.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A

This is exactly what the game wardens are here for. I've called the ones for the counties I hunt on multiple occasions. If something isn't clear, I want a response from the guy enforcing the rules, not an Internet forum.

^^^ THIS

Otherwise I got some left over teal tags I'll sell ya... whistle

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 05:12 PM

Fact

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 07:48 PM

Thanks guys for all of the information on the only lake between Texas and Oklahoma that has the red river in the middle of it. Just so i don't get my hand slapped from Heisman25G AKA(The Troll) for stating the name of the Lake

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 08:24 PM

Thanks guys for all of the information on the only lake between Texas and Oklahoma that has the red river in the middle of it. Just so i don't get my hand slapped from Heisman25G AKA(The Troll) for stating the name of the Lake

Heisman is a troll, but he was not trolling you, he was actually being nice. Many like him that get pissed if you name lakes, now at least you didn't ask about the duck hunting on the lake, then you would have taken a major internet thrashing. Rob Robertson has talked so much about Texoma over the years I have just become desensitized with that lake being named, and not just this forum, but every duckhunting forum out there.

But agree with what everyone said, you are best asking a GW these questions. And I would ask OK GW. Good luck.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/30/17 11:16 PM

@Heisman25G Really, Can you explain another way to ask these questions without stating Texoma, which is the only lake like this in the state of Texas that borders OK. Who cares if i ask a simple question. You act like there is only one spot on this lake to hunt and someone might find out that Texoma holds a lot of birds. You have no secret here sir.

This is rediculous. Really, naming lake texoma or red river? Why I rarely post here any more. This website has lost a lot of great members because of this as well.

You guys need to chill
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

This is rediculous. Really, naming lake texoma or red river? Why I rarely post here any more. This website has lost a lot of great members because of this as well.

You guys need to chill

Could not agree more. Any of the OP's questions could have been answered with a PM and a bit of helpful advice rather than the unhelpful rants.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 11:32 AM

cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
Alvarado Park
Amistad
Amon G. Carter
Aquilla
Arlington
Arrowhead
Athens
Austin
Averhoff
B back to top

B.A. Steinhagen
Bachman
Balmorhea
Bardwell
Bastrop
Baylor Creek
Belton
Benbrook
Big Creek
Bob Sandlin
Bonham
Bonham State Park
Brady Creek
Brazos
Brandy Branch
Braunig
Bridgeport
Brownwood
Bryan
Bryson
Buchanan
Buffalo Creek
Buffalo Springs
C back to top

Caddo
Calaveras
Canyon
Casa Blanca
Cedar Creek
Champion Creek
Choke Canyon
Cisco
Cleburne State Park
Clyde
Coffee Mill
Coleman
Coleto Creek
Colorado City
Conroe
Cooper
Corpus Christi
Crook
Cypress Springs
D back to top

Daniel
Davy Crockett
Diversion (no public access)
Dunlap
E back to top

Eagle Mountain
E. V. Spence
F back to top

Fairfield
Falcon
Fayette County
Findley (Alice City Lake)
Fork
Fort Parker State Park
Fort Phantom Hill
Fryer
G back to top

Georgetown
Gibbons Creek
Gilmer
Gladewater
Gonzales
Graham
Granbury
Granger
Grapevine
Greenbelt
H back to top

Halbert
Hawkins
Holbrook
Hords Creek
Houston
Houston County
Hubbard Creek
I back to top

Inks
J back to top

Jacksonville
J.B. Thomas
Joe Pool
K back to top

Kemp
Kickapoo
Kirby
Kurth
L back to top

Lady Bird (Town Lake, Austin)
Lake O' The Pines
Lavon
Leon
Lewisville
Limestone
Livingston
Lone Star
Lost Creek
Lyndon B. Johnson
M back to top

Mackenzie
Marble Falls
Marine Creek
Martin Creek
McClellan
Medina
Meredith
Meridian State Park
Mexia
Mill Creek
Millers Creek
Mineral Wells
Monticello
Moss
Mountain Creek
Murvaul
N back to top

Nacogdoches
Naconiche
Nasworthy
Navarro Mills
New Ballinger
Nocona
O back to top

Oak Creek
O.C. Fisher
O.H. Ivie
P back to top

Palestine
Palo Duro
Palo Pinto
Pat Cleburne
Pat Mayse
Pinkston
Placid
Possum Kingdom
Proctor
Purtis Creek
Q back to top

Quitman
R back to top

Raven
Ray Hubbard
Ray Roberts
Red Bluff
Richland-Chambers
S back to top

Sam Rayburn
Sheldon
Somerville
Squaw Creek
Stamford
Stillhouse Hollow
Striker
Sulphur Springs
Sweetwater
T back to top

Tawakoni
Texana
Texoma
Timpson
Toledo Bend
Town Lake (now known as Lady Bird Lake)
Tradinghouse Creek
Travis
Twin Buttes
Tyler
W back to top

Waco
Walter E. Long (Decker)
Waxahachie
Weatherford
Welsh
Wheeler Branch
White River
White Rock
Whitney
Wichita
Winnsboro
Winters-Elm Creek
Wood
Worth
Wright Patman

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 01:32 PM

clap clap clap roflmao roflmao roflmao

You are going to get reported for naming all of those lakes.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 02:50 PM

1. Google earth
2. Call the game warden
3. See answer #2.

^^This and to add to #2 call the OK Warden service AND the Texas Game Wardens. There are 3 in Grayson County. Not certain about the number in Cooke County but Grayson County wardens will help you with a respectful call.

As for naming the lake not a big deal. The lake is big enough to find your own niche. If you are hunting an area over run with guides and wind-blown boats find some where else to hunt. There are untapped areas that nobody wants to take the time/effort to get to. Immigrants from southern counties come up with their expensive mud boats and camp for 3 days on a spot and expect squatters rights.
Posted By: Threecurl

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 07:39 PM

Lake Texoma has a well known and very established population of piranhas that have gotten all hopped up on Okie meth. Very dangerous situation. They're also rabid and infected with a particularly virulent strain of herpes. The Oklahoma game wardens also shoot Texans on sight. To be safe, I would avoid the entire Red River drainage, including the Texas Panhandle and most of western Oklahoma. You can never be too cautious.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Threecurl
Lake Texoma has a well known and very established population of piranhas that have gotten all hopped up on Okie meth. Very dangerous situation. They're also rabid and infected with a particularly virulent strain of herpes. The Oklahoma game wardens also shoot Texans on sight. To be safe, I would avoid the entire Red River drainage, including the Texas Panhandle and most of western Oklahoma. You can never be too cautious.

That's awesome. roflmao
Posted By: Full•Throttle

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 10/31/17 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Threecurl

Well look who the cat drug in... grin

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 12:06 AM

Took a texoma lake namer to bring in some old hats. roflmao
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 12:27 AM

I bet someones head just exploded. The only other ramp that I know of west of 377 on the Texas side that's not totally private is Cedar Bayou Marina.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:08 AM

I once sent a PM about a county, I never posted about ducks ever again. He never came back either. True story. I am not kidding either.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 02:14 PM

Just trying to get some info on how the duck hunting on Lake Texoma works. I know for the fishing there is a special license, not assuming there is one for duck but just lookign for the following info.

1. Is there any other ramps on the Texas side west of 377, i know that there are a couple on the Oklahoma side.
2. Can you put in on the Oklahoma side and legally hunt if you only have Texas license.
3. If you have only a Texas license do you have to hunt the Texas side of the river.

Good Grief.
Top of this forum is a sticky link that is a page with links you can click through to almost every waterfowl public hunting area in Texas. You would have fared much better on the replies if you had asked this question in the public hunting forum instead of this one.

Texoma is managed by the Tulsa District Corps. Go there and look around. You should be able to click through and find the corps hunting map for that lake. Different areas have different rules.

Ramps.... Look on fishing and corps lake maps. Check the corps lake page for what is open or closed.

Fishing on the lake they say it is the original river bed that is the boundary so hunting should be the same, but unless your hunting or fishing off the bank, your just asking for trouble trying to hunt on the lake without both State's licenses.

You leave out from and return to a ramp, your asking for a ticket if you don't have that State's license. Same would apply to coming into one State's ramp with the other States season/limit if different. Same if you have fishing equipment on your boat. Right or wrong, legal or not, expect a ticket if you test it.

Fishing on the River is different. The river is Oklahoma to the Texas bank. If your standing on the bank, your in Texas. If you step in or on the water, your in Oklahoma. I imagine hunting is going to be looked at the same. You will need an OK license if hunting anywhere on the River.

Heads up, if you hunt in both states, know you are required to have the HIP for each state you hunt in.

The delta/west end of the lake can be dangerous if your not familiar with it. You can get your boat stuck on the mud or get yourself stuck in the quicksand like mud. What out for the resident meth piranhas. They travel in packs and will eat you alive.

Guides are well established and own the west end. Expect them to run an airboat through your decoys if your in the way of where they are going. Just wave and smile. Along the OK side of that red river valley more Oklahoma locals dislike Texans than do, but if respectful of them you should have no problems and no tires to change.

Last there are some National refuges and State WMAs around the lake and river. Different rules on them of course that may or may not extend to the water.

Good luck
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:01 PM

So basically,

-The locals think they own the water to the extent your truck might not be safe at a ramp
-The guides think they own the water to the extent they will drive an airboat through your dekes just to be a dick
-The mud is quicksand and dangerous if you don't know where you are
-The piranhas have herpes and will attack aggresively
-And there are multiple jurisdictions all apparently eager to write tickets

Can't wait to try it, sounds like a blast
Posted By: garrett

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:15 PM

I wouldnt worry about the herpes, they make a pill that helps keep that under control...at least thats what I heard

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:45 PM

Well just an FYI, I did talk to a Texas Game Warden as well as an Oklahoma Game Warden. As far as the ramp question goes you can use either Oklahoma or Texas ramps but you can only hunt the side of the lake that you are licensed in.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:50 PM

Garret and I went up there to smash the teal. Garret drank some of the water.... glad I did not. Messed him up pretty bad.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:57 PM

Well just an FYI, I did talk to a Texas Game Warden as well as an Oklahoma Game Warden. As far as the ramp question goes you can use either Oklahoma or Texas ramps but you can only hunt the side of the lake that you are licensed in.

so basically no need to buy an Oklahoma license?

"no sir, I just used this ramp, we hunted the texas side, I promise"

and ducknbass is correct, dont drink the water...apparently the herp can live in the water

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 05:58 PM

A must have for Texoma dirty leg piranha protection...

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 06:04 PM

@ Garrett, that is what both the tx and ok GW told me. I have both of there names written down if i ever have an issue.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 06:42 PM

@ Garrett, that is what both the tx and ok GW told me. I have both of there names written down if i ever have an issue.

rofl rofl I can't wait for the post when you run into one of the Federal Wardens. up
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:08 PM

You might want to get whatever they said on a signed document. Doesn't sound accurate to me.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:17 PM

By the book answers and how the real world works are two different things. But then I have never hunted there. I got that info from some guy with a red lab that claims to have hunted and fished there for over 35 years. Should have known not to trust a guy with a Vizsla trying to pass it off as a Labrador. crazy
He lied about the Piranhas too. realmad
But there are sharks.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul

You might want to get whatever they said on a signed document. Doesn't sound accurate to me.

Fo sho

Talking to a warden is like a Jason Garrett press conference.

"Sir, can I use this ramp legally"?
-There are lots of duck hunting ramps you can use to hunt ducks.
"Right, but can I use Ramp #1 specifically with only a TX Licence?"
-There are many duck hunting ramps that can be used to hunt ducks with a TX Licence. Ramp #1 is a fine ramp to hunt ducks
"But ramp #1 is in OK, and I only have a TX Licence, can I do that?"
-Duck hunting is great, in TX and in OK, ramp #1 has been used for many years to hunt ducks. Your matter will be handled internally, and we will do the right thing for the warden service about you hunting ducks.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:32 PM

Sounds like you will need to video your entire hunt to show the ducks being taken in Texas, then I am sure you will be ticketed for have the possession of those ducks in OK.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 07:45 PM

True Story:

Game warden #1 called from the lake day before opening morning. Hey Mr. Warden. I am parked at ____ looking at the lake. Can I park here, hop the fence with my canoe, and hunt ____? Game Warden #1 "Sure, you can. No problem".

Opening morning.
Game warden #2 after wading out to Canoe "you can't park there and you can't enter this public hunting area across that fence". Me "but Mr Warden Game Warden #1 told me it would be fine, call and ask him. I gave him my name and vehicle description". Game warden #2 as he opens his ticket book. "Someone called and turned you in, so I have to write you a ticket. I don't care what Game Warden #1 said, the law is the law and the law says you can't do that". I did get out of the ticket, but it was not a fun experience.

Unusual or confusing situations, permissions, or grey area hunting matters, I now only take advantage of if I can get the answer in email reply or snail mail that I can carry with me on the hunt.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 08:02 PM

If you've never been told two things by two different wardens you've not tried hard enough.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 08:08 PM

Crazy boundary too. In at least one area you can be on the Texas bank, but considered Oklahoma.

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
So basically,

-The locals think they own the water to the extent your truck might not be safe at a ramp
-The guides think they own the water to the extent they will drive an airboat through your dekes just to be a dick
-The mud is quicksand and dangerous if you don't know where you are
-The piranhas have herpes and will attack aggresively
-And there are multiple jurisdictions all apparently eager to write tickets

Can't wait to try it, sounds like a blast

x2

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Does that come in a bigger size?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/01/17 11:30 PM

Thought you were a size small Guy?? confused2

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 12:06 AM

Naw, that too small for big charlie.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 01:08 AM

Wow, you're thinking of Guy's cup size.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 01:49 AM

There are no ducks on Texoma this year. Millet that state planted did not take due to August flooding. Yes you can hunt in Texas and use an Oklahoma ramp. But they don't like it on bit and will really do a prostrate exam. Oklahoma & Texas dates are different. The red river is boundary and it is mostly invisible with out GPS. It is a very difficult lake to hunt at times. Water levels flucste hugely. It will be very crowded. Guides runnning through your decoys is the least of your concerns. Guides will drive over you. If you don't have a light. The bottom is soft, very soft. No cover. Air boat or mud motor will be required. The only boat ramp on TX side west of 377 charges 10.00 to launc your boat & you will still have to run a long ways. Good luck, be safe. I would hunt elsewhere. The glory days of Texoma left several years ago.

As for naming lakes, nothing wrong with this post. Now name lakes and post scouting reports or pics of hunts. Not good.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale

Wow, you're thinking of Guy's cup size.

Oh, I thought we were referring to face muzzles

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 03:34 PM

Are you worried about longer shark teeth now cuz I know u wouldn't be talkin about your junk? banana2
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/02/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: topwater13
cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
Alvarado Park
Amistad
Amon G. Carter
Aquilla
Arlington
Arrowhead
Athens
Austin
Averhoff
B back to top

B.A. Steinhagen
Bachman
Balmorhea
Bardwell
Bastrop
Baylor Creek
Belton
Benbrook
Big Creek
Bob Sandlin
Bonham
Bonham State Park
Brady Creek
Brazos
Brandy Branch
Braunig
Bridgeport
Brownwood
Bryan
Bryson
Buchanan
Buffalo Creek
Buffalo Springs
C back to top

Caddo
Calaveras
Canyon
Casa Blanca
Cedar Creek
Champion Creek
Choke Canyon
Cisco
Cleburne State Park
Clyde
Coffee Mill
Coleman
Coleto Creek
Colorado City
Conroe
Cooper
Corpus Christi
Crook
Cypress Springs
D back to top

Daniel
Davy Crockett
Dunlap
E back to top

Eagle Mountain
E. V. Spence
F back to top

Fairfield
Falcon
Fayette County
Fork
Fort Parker State Park
Fort Phantom Hill
Fryer
G back to top

Georgetown
Gibbons Creek
Gilmer
Gladewater
Gonzales
Graham
Granbury
Granger
Grapevine
Greenbelt
H back to top

Halbert
Hawkins
Holbrook
Hords Creek
Houston
Houston County
Hubbard Creek
I back to top

Inks
J back to top

Jacksonville
J.B. Thomas
Joe Pool
K back to top

Kemp
Kickapoo
Kirby
Kurth
L back to top

Lake O' The Pines
Lavon
Leon
Lewisville
Limestone
Livingston
Lone Star
Lost Creek
Lyndon B. Johnson
M back to top

Mackenzie
Marble Falls
Marine Creek
Martin Creek
McClellan
Medina
Meredith
Meridian State Park
Mexia
Mill Creek
Millers Creek
Mineral Wells
Monticello
Moss
Mountain Creek
Murvaul
N back to top

Nacogdoches
Naconiche
Nasworthy
Navarro Mills
New Ballinger
Nocona
O back to top

Oak Creek
O.C. Fisher
O.H. Ivie
P back to top

Palestine
Palo Duro
Palo Pinto
Pat Cleburne
Pat Mayse
Pinkston
Placid
Possum Kingdom
Proctor
Purtis Creek
Q back to top

Quitman
R back to top

Raven
Ray Hubbard
Ray Roberts
Red Bluff
Richland-Chambers
S back to top

Sam Rayburn
Sheldon
Somerville
Squaw Creek
Stamford
Stillhouse Hollow
Striker
Sulphur Springs
Sweetwater
T back to top

Tawakoni
Texana
Texoma
Timpson
Toledo Bend
Tradinghouse Creek
Travis
Twin Buttes
Tyler
W back to top

Waco
Walter E. Long (Decker)
Waxahachie
Weatherford
Welsh
Wheeler Branch
White River
White Rock
Whitney
Wichita
Winnsboro
Winters-Elm Creek
Wood
Worth
Wright Patman

I was hoping for this as soon as I read someone didn't want their lake named. Thank you for not leaving me disappointed.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/03/17 02:12 AM

This thread is full of greatness roflmao

Yes, be careful on Texoma and ask the wardens for clarity. Alternatively, get an OK license and call it a day. There's good hunting in OK so to me having both states just opens up add'l opportunities!

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/03/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
A

I was hoping for this as soon as I read someone didn't want their lake named. Thank you for not leaving me disappointed.

If you simply think naming a lake on the internet is the issue, you are not getting it. It is forum threads on specific lakes, the chatter, is the issue, "yeah we shot a 4 man limit on texoma today", worse yet naming areas... Go google "duck hunting lake texoma", you will get a ton of forum threads on this topic, from the refuge forum, a ton from the duckhuntingchat forum, going back to early 2000. There is even one not far from the top from this forum in 2010, and scroll down further and even this thread is already showing up. But this thread not so bad, nothing said here that has not been said before, internet scouters will not learn anything new from this thread, except that my cup size is very large. roflmao
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/03/17 03:13 AM

cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
A

If you simply think naming a lake on the internet is the issue, you are not getting it. It is forum threads on specific lakes, the chatter, is the issue, "yeah we shot a 4 man limit on texoma today", worse yet naming areas... Go google "duck hunting lake texoma", you will get a ton of forum threads on this topic, from the refuge forum, a ton from the duckhuntingchat forum, going back to early 2000. There is even one not far from the top from this forum in 2010, and scroll down further and even this thread is already showing up. But this thread not so bad, nothing said here that has not been said before, internet scouters will not learn anything new, except my cup size is very large. roflmao

clap
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/03/17 03:21 AM

cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
Alvarado Park
Amistad
Amon G. Carter
Aquilla
Arlington
Arrowhead
Athens
Austin
Averhoff
B back to top

B.A. Steinhagen
Bachman
Balmorhea
Bardwell
Bastrop
Baylor Creek
Belton
Benbrook
Big Creek
Bob Sandlin
Bonham
Bonham State Park
Brady Creek
Brazos
Brandy Branch
Braunig
Bridgeport
Brownwood
Bryan
Bryson
Buchanan
Buffalo Creek
Buffalo Springs
C back to top

Caddo
Calaveras
Canyon
Casa Blanca
Cedar Creek
Champion Creek
Choke Canyon
Cisco
Cleburne State Park
Clyde
Coffee Mill
Coleman
Coleto Creek
Colorado City
Conroe
Cooper
Corpus Christi
Crook
Cypress Springs
D back to top

Daniel
Davy Crockett
Dunlap
E back to top

Eagle Mountain
E. V. Spence
F back to top

Fairfield
Falcon
Fayette County
Fork
Fort Parker State Park
Fort Phantom Hill
Fryer
G back to top

Georgetown
Gibbons Creek
Gilmer
Gladewater
Gonzales
Graham
Granbury
Granger
Grapevine
Greenbelt
H back to top

Halbert
Hawkins
Holbrook
Hords Creek
Houston
Houston County
Hubbard Creek
I back to top

Inks
J back to top

Jacksonville
J.B. Thomas
Joe Pool
K back to top

Kemp
Kickapoo
Kirby
Kurth
L back to top

Lake O' The Pines
Lavon
Leon
Lewisville
Limestone
Livingston
Lone Star
Lost Creek
Lyndon B. Johnson
M back to top

Mackenzie
Marble Falls
Marine Creek
Martin Creek
McClellan
Medina
Meredith
Meridian State Park
Mexia
Mill Creek
Millers Creek
Mineral Wells
Monticello
Moss
Mountain Creek
Murvaul
N back to top

Nacogdoches
Naconiche
Nasworthy
Navarro Mills
New Ballinger
Nocona
O back to top

Oak Creek
O.C. Fisher
O.H. Ivie
P back to top

Palestine
Palo Duro
Palo Pinto
Pat Cleburne
Pat Mayse
Pinkston
Placid
Possum Kingdom
Proctor
Purtis Creek
Q back to top

Quitman
R back to top

Raven
Ray Hubbard
Ray Roberts
Red Bluff
Richland-Chambers
S back to top

Sam Rayburn
Sheldon
Somerville
Squaw Creek
Stamford
Stillhouse Hollow
Striker
Sulphur Springs
Sweetwater
T back to top

Tawakoni
Texana
Texoma
Timpson
Toledo Bend
Tradinghouse Creek
Travis
Twin Buttes
Tyler
W back to top

Waco
Walter E. Long (Decker)
Waxahachie
Weatherford
Welsh
Wheeler Branch
White River
White Rock
Whitney
Wichita
Winnsboro
Winters-Elm Creek
Wood
Worth
Wright Patman

This thread has puzzled me for a few days with the lake naming crap. That is funny.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/03/17 07:43 PM

You're all quite welcome.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/04/17 03:18 PM

internet scouters will not learn anything new from this thread, except that my cup size is very large. roflmao

cup size? why are we talking about Guy's moobs?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/04/17 03:19 PM

cheers

Abilene
Alan Henry
A

If you simply think naming a lake on the internet is the issue, you are not getting it. It is forum threads on specific lakes, the chatter, is the issue, "yeah we shot a 4 man limit on texoma today", worse yet naming areas... Go google "duck hunting lake texoma", you will get a ton of forum threads on this topic, from the refuge forum, a ton from the duckhuntingchat forum, going back to early 2000. There is even one not far from the top from this forum in 2010, and scroll down further and even this thread is already showing up. But this thread not so bad, nothing said here that has not been said before, internet scouters will not learn anything new from this thread, except that my cup size is very large. roflmao

I understand why lake naming is frowned upon and I don't like it either. The way this lake was named and the question posed doesn't amount to lake naming that everyone hates, in my opinion. That's why Topwater's post made me laugh.

Simply acknowledging the name of a lake that hunters are legally allowed to hunt at doesn't violate the lake naming rule.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 01:49 PM

Simply acknowledging the name of a lake that hunters are legally allowed to hunt at doesn't violate the lake naming rule.

That's not true. The over arching topic is "sharing and discussing places to hunt public on forums", and opinions on this topic vary greatly. There is no black and white rule. Many think it is ok to talk about lakes, as long as you don't talk about naming spots, some think even naming spots are ok, many think no lake name at all needs to be discussed, as many have posted on this thread, you want to know about regs on a specific lake, call a GW or read online, "forum chatter" about regs on a lake will draw more hunters to that lake. If you don't believe that, then we just have to agree to disagree, like I said, opinions vary greatly on this topic, that will never change, that is why there is so much debate over the years, and why many talk past each other which results and many pages of chatter. I really don't worry about it any more, its all part of the game, but I would estimate 90% of those that think these type of threads are ok don't hunt public waterfowl.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 02:22 PM

That's not true. The over arching topic is "sharing and discussing places to hunt public on forums", and opinions on this topic vary greatly. There is no black and white rule. Many think it is ok to talk about lakes, as long as you don't talk about naming spots, some think even naming spots are ok, many think no lake name at all needs to be discussed, as many have posted on this thread, you want to know about regs on a specific lake, call a GW or read online, "forum chatter" about regs on a lake will draw more hunters to that lake. If you don't believe that, then we just have to agree to disagree, like I said, opinions vary greatly on this topic, that will never change, that is why there is so much debate over the years, and why many talk past each other which results and many pages of chatter. I really don't worry about it any more, its all part of the game, but I would estimate 90% of those that think these type of threads are ok don't hunt public waterfowl.

Very well said. I've got enough things to stress about, I've decided lake naming won't be one of them haha. Just be respectful of your fellow hunters, wishing everyone a safe and successful season.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 03:29 PM

I hunt all public and from what I've seen:

- 90% of public hunters are lazy or fairweather.
- very few easy spots exist on public
- very infrequently do people put in the work to get where good hunting can be had

- internet scouters are lazy
- I would assume they are also lazy hunters
- showing up to an unfamiliar lake because you heard about it on a forum gives you about a 3% chance of success

- I wouldn't hesitate to tell people which lakes I hunt because
a.) 5000 other people already do
b.) if you're lazy and need to ask, you aren't going to get where you need to get anyway.
-

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 08:32 PM

That's fair. All good points and I agree that lake naming should be frowned upon. I just don't think this specific post is as bad as some made it out to be.

I typically avoid naming lakes at all times for the reasons you described, but I also agree with the points Esh and Hattie made above. Lake naming is annoying, but simply asking about a lake like the one named in this thread results in a very small chance for success.

I agree 100% that questions about regulations on specific lakes are best directed to the game warden for that lake and not at an online forum.

Thanks for a well-reasoned response. cheers
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 09:53 PM

I hunt all public and from what I've seen:

- 90% of public hunters are lazy or fairweather.
- very few easy spots exist on public
- very infrequently do people put in the work to get where good hunting can be had

- internet scouters are lazy
- I would assume they are also lazy hunters
- showing up to an unfamiliar lake because you heard about it on a forum gives you about a 3% chance of success

- I wouldn't hesitate to tell people which lakes I hunt because
a.) 5000 other people already do
b.) if you're lazy and need to ask, you aren't going to get where you need to get anyway.
-

As a reformed internet scouter, I can tell you that frequently seeing a lake named on a forum absolutely will draw people there. And while that guy may not do the legwork, he'll be boom scouting when he's out there and listening to where your good spots are. I know because I've done it. There, I confessed.

Now that I've hunted public enough I know better than to believe what I read and I put in the time to scout. Now, when someone PMs me and says he's heading to Lake X and asks if I've been there, etc. I'll be helpful.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/06/17 10:32 PM

Yes ZachW I agree, enough attention, over enough time and there will be plenty of boom scouters. I've hunted the same lake for 10 years of living here and made 2 good friends I hunt with now, the only 2 other guys that hoofed it to where the ducks were that I ran into. (We ran into each other more than once, and said hi at the parking areas a few times, and then recognized each other in the field).

I certainly am not going to fling lake names around nor spots, but an extra 10 boats on the lake doesn't make a darn bit of difference if they are internet barneys with noooo clue
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 12:43 AM

You guys need to chill

Dayum, naming a lake is all it takes to run off the sensitive, butt-sore handy wipe hunters? Man, this is gonna change the game bigtime

If you can wipe that hiney with a pad of prickly pear or a handfull of bullnettlees or poison ivy, you gonna have one h3ll of hunt this season. Hit that backside with a drill and a paint stripper wheel every other week, you'll be a duck slaying legend in no time.

Name a lake. Save a duck.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:00 AM

Back on topic.

If I'm standing in Texas and I shoot a duck in the air and he's half in Oklahoma and half in Texas which license do i need?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:08 AM

showing up to an unfamiliar lake because you heard about it on a forum gives you about a 3% chance of success

3 steps to success in killing ducks on public:

Step 1) Identify lake to kill ducks.
Step 2) Scout lake to find out where the ducks are, good spots to set up, etc...
Step 3) Next day, or whenever, set up on scouted spots, and kill ducks.

The reason I make this post is that lake naming chatter draws hunters to lake, but this just gets them to step 1..."hey I never thought about hunting that lake, think I'll give it a try". Or, "I always wondered about that lake, since everyone talking about it, think I'll check it out.."

Lake naming chatter in itself will not get you to step 3. You start naming spots that gets them further along into step 2, but hunting public requires you scout spots before the morning of the hunt to have success. The more time you put into scouting, your success rate goes up.

So to me, you are still missing some points with your post, hope my post helps.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:30 AM

This is rediculous. Really, naming lake texoma or red river? Why I rarely post here any more. [b]] This website has lost a lot of great members because of this as well. If you wont agree to accomodate their demands to stop naming lakes, they're gonna take their ball and go home. And can you blame them for wanting to keep the lake a secret? If everyone knew about it, ANYONE could hunt it. Those pink, tender butted white boys cant cut it alllow brass and butt sore? How they gonna hang knowing homies packin magnums? Camo hoodies, camo nike air, camo blunts, kickin duck butt. ....... Lil' John before LST.... yo ducks be some punk azz duck, my duck be some scary azz duks, duck rappin

You guys need to chill

You guya need to man TFU.

Army Corp of Engineers. Own it, manage it, and will bend over backwards to accomodate their brethren. If someone doesn't like lake naming, TOUGH SH!T. You don't own the lake, it's not restricted to control freak, or some who's of the opinion they deserved the right.......bro, iif you haaaven't served your country, blead for your country, and are unwilling to share the belessing this great country of ours has to offer. I pity you.

I've been hunting waterfowl on public here in Texas close to 50 years and know every square inch of water worth hunting. I'll put toogether a list of every spot in the state, most offering hunts of a lifetime. Ask, and you shall receive.

Don't like it?.... TS

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:36 AM

Watch out everyone. He's a tough guy.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:49 AM

Lol it's duck season again.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 01:56 AM

Watch out everyone. He's a tough guy.

He scares me and I'm fearless. grin

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 04:54 PM

showing up to an unfamiliar lake because you heard about it on a forum gives you about a 3% chance of success

3 steps to success in killing ducks on public:

Step 1) Identify lake to kill ducks.
Step 2) Scout lake to find out where the ducks are, good spots to set up, etc...
Step 3) Next day, or whenever, set up on scouted spots, and kill ducks.

The reason I make this post is that lake naming chatter draws hunters to lake, but this just gets them to step 1..."hey I never thought about hunting that lake, think I'll give it a try". Or, "I always wondered about that lake, since everyone talking about it, think I'll check it out.."

Lake naming chatter in itself will not get you to step 3. You start naming spots that gets them further along into step 2, but hunting public requires you scout spots before the morning of the hunt to have success. The more time you put into scouting, your success rate goes up.

So to me, you are still missing some points with your post, hope my post helps.

FACT

I know cuz I've done it.... many times. And I've been on the other side of it more times than I can count.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/07/17 07:17 PM

You guys need to chill

greek is right, I stopped posting here because of nonsense, just the fact that someone would think that naming lakes is OK is beyond me. Then again I am a real duck hunter and hunt public so maybe thats why its a big deal. I mean I could hunt private and shoot 6 gray ducks and leave, but where is the challenge in that?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: garrett

You guys need to chill

greek is right, I stopped posting here because of nonsense, just the fact that someone would think that naming lakes is OK is beyond me. Then again I am a real duck hunter and hunt public so maybe thats why its a big deal. I mean I could hunt private and shoot 6 gray ducks and leave, but where is the challenge in that?

rofl

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 12:17 PM

You guys need to chill

The challenge for you would be
1. Hitting said Grey's
2. Holding off on the early flight of coots.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 01:09 PM

You guys need to chill

The challenge for you would be
1. Hitting said Grey's
2. Holding off on the early flight of coots.

LOL LOL LOL

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 01:20 PM

And you wonder why people don't use these types of forum for help. Sorry that i put the name of the lake(not really) i was just looking for advice form people that had hunted this lake. Never asked where you hunt on the lake or how many birds you have killed there. The ones complaining about it are the biggest bunch of [censored] babies i have ever seen. Yes i hunt public and have for many years. Do i care if someone names a lake nope. Just like some of the other post on here you still have to get out and do the work to find the birds. The true internet scouters wont do that so who cares. If y'all quit worrying about people naming lakes and be scouting to find birds you wouldn't be on here. Not like any of the Named lakes are a secret that no one has ever found but you. Oh i forgot some of yall have nothing else to look forward to in life but killing a few ducks. Sorry about the rant (not really) but this crapt has just got me going this morning. Good luck this weekend to all of you internet scouters. lol

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 02:37 PM

Just like some of the other post on here you still have to get out and do the work to find the birds. The true internet scouters wont do that so who cares.

Another inaccurate statement. Any time I'm looking to start hunting a new lake I start with the internet. I read all the forum chatter, google earth, and figure out where I'm going to scout well before I head out to the new lake. And if anyone tells you they don't do the same, they are a lier or stupid.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 02:43 PM

My bad i forget that yall are the Gods of internet Duck Hunting. LOL Bunch of Ol Keyboard Cowboys.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 03:03 PM

The problem I have here is that you seemingly didnt put any research into your own questions other that looking for answers on this forum. Common sense wouldve led me to other resources (listed on page 1 of this thread) that wouldve kept me from having to get on a forum and asking certain questions that included naming oceans, seas, lakes, rivers and creeks. The answers you are/were looking for are not difficult to answer within a couple phone calls and 10 minutes spent looking at a map. cowboy

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 03:06 PM

My bad i forget that yall are the Gods of Duck Hunting.

I see you've spoken to some folks that know me
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 03:55 PM

Just like some of the other post on here you still have to get out and do the work to find the birds. The true internet scouters wont do that so who cares.

Another inaccurate statement. Any time I'm looking to start hunting a new lake I start with the internet. I read all the forum chatter, google earth, and figure out where I'm going to scout well before I head out to the new lake. And if anyone tells you they don't do the same, they are a lier or stupid.

I do the same thing...I rarely post about hunts anymore. In my younger days I would post every hunt with pics...got burned pretty bad on several different lakes I was hunting. Went from hunting these lakes by myself to having 2-3 groups of my best internet friends that turned into 15 groups several years later...

The internet forums are NOT for asking information about lakes...take it to PMs or make a very generic topic with a general region and ask for PMs.

If I am looking for specific information about a certain lake/area, I send someone a PM and ask what they know. I am more than happy to do the same via PM.

There are quite a few lurkers, like myself, who will watch the forums or look up what information I can on forums. Someone starts talking heavily about a certain lake/region, I am more than likely going to give it a look. I am not lazy, like someone mentioned earlier about internet scouters, but it gives those of us who like to venture out an idea of a hot area...we will put the work in and go find the birds.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 04:19 PM

And you wonder why people don't use these types of forum for help. Sorry that i put the name of the lake(not really) i was just looking for advice form people that had hunted this lake. Never asked where you hunt on the lake or how many birds you have killed there. The ones complaining about it are the biggest bunch of [censored] babies i have ever seen. Yes i hunt public and have for many years. Do i care if someone names a lake nope. Just like some of the other post on here you still have to get out and do the work to find the birds. The true internet scouters wont do that so who cares. If y'all quit worrying about people naming lakes and be scouting to find birds you wouldn't be on here. Not like any of the Named lakes are a secret that no one has ever found but you. Oh i forgot some of yall have nothing else to look forward to in life but killing a few ducks. Sorry about the rant (not really) but this crapt has just got me going this morning. Good luck this weekend to all of you internet scouters. lol

So much here... not sure where to start.

Sure forums are for help. About decoys, calling, whatthehellisthisbird ID, etc. Not about laws regarding specific lakes - go to the authority.

You call them [censored] babies, I call them right. Just cuz you haven't been burned by it (yet) doesn't mean it won't and hasn't happen. In this case more than half the lake is in another state and you didn't ask about birds, just regulations that are readily available elsewhere. I don't see any harm except that you are taking forum comments to interpret laws... potentially not good for you, especially if someone wants to jack with you to keep you off their turf.

You are ignoring a large part of duck hunters that are NOT lazy internet scouters, they just listen to chatter to figure out what areas are holding birds. All I and a lot of other folks need to know is what lake a good number of birds are on. Within 15 minutes and I can check historical lake levels, compare to Google Earth images, and have the 2 or 3 best current spots figured out before I even hit the lake to scout.

Don't sell yourself short, that was one hell of a rant! up

Not to mention... lake namers normally get it a lot worse on here. Don't get all butthurt, this whole thread was actually pretty mild.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 04:23 PM

I'm sorry but what was your question?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 04:45 PM

1) I am tired of telling ducknbass that coots dont count against your limit

2) dont start with me and the cowboy talk

3) this thread is further proof that we need a "like" button, why wont management listen to our demands?

4) shouldnt wal be posting in the crab trappers forum?

5) I dont call myself a duck god, I consider that blasphemy, and I would hate to be a false idol for the younger folks

6) only person you can trust on here is LarryCoper
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 05:00 PM

We stacked them up on Texoma this weekend

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 05:04 PM

3) this thread is further proof that we need a "like" button, why wont management listen to our demands?

5) I dont call myself a duck god, I consider that blasphemy, and I would hate to be a false idol for the younger folks

Stop yelling
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 05:19 PM

This is me playing the worlds smallest violin. Po baby violin
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 05:22 PM

Stop yelling

That's a fact.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 06:03 PM

The problem I have here is that you seemingly didnt put any research into your own questions other that looking for answers on this forum. Common sense wouldve led me to other resources (listed on page 1 of this thread) that wouldve kept me from having to get on a forum and asking certain questions that included naming oceans, seas, lakes, rivers and creeks. The answers you are/were looking for are not difficult to answer within a couple phone calls and 10 minutes spent looking at a map. cowboy

Yes i did do some research online to find this answer and was unable to find a clear answer. The only thing i hadn't done was call the game warden so excuse me for not doing that. I forgot this lake was a secret to everyone on the forum.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

I'm sorry but what was your question?

Wal1809

Here was my original post that started all of this

Posted By: Judd

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 07:08 PM

1 - https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/texoma/access.phtml

2 - Sure you can....but is it worth $200 for you not to have to convince Mr Green Jeans that you really shot those in TX and you're just using their ramp?

3 - Yep, that license is only for Texas...you need to buy an OK license to hunt that side of the river. Funky thing is...the boundary isn't as clear as you might think and you might be hunting OK but thinking your in TX. Is that worth $200 to you not have to worry about it?

Oh and congrats....you're the first dude to get sand in his vajayjay this internet season up grin

Edit - I agree LarryC is the only person to believe on this board...even over me.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

2 - Sure you can....but is it worth $200 for you not to have to convince Mr Green Jeans that you really shot those in TX and you're just using their ramp?

3 - Yep, that license is only for Texas...you need to buy an OK license to hunt that side of the river. Funky thing is...the boundary isn't as clear as you might think and you might be hunting OK but thinking your in TX. Is that worth $200 to you not have to worry about it?

Oh and congrats....you're the first dude to get sand in his vajayjay this internet season up grin

Edit - I agree LarryC is the only person to believe on this board...even over me.

If your not first your last bolt

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 07:40 PM

Definitely need a like button. You have my 100% support.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 07:46 PM

hello, Judd

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 08:55 PM

hello, Judd

Screw you G grin

But I do concur about your like button smile

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 11:04 PM

by not having a like button they are just losing shares to the facebook and their fancy like button...its a no brainer business decision

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 11:06 PM

if we cant get a like button i would at least like to see #hayraker be made a super moderator

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 11:07 PM

So he will moderate meal time?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/08/17 11:37 PM

by not having a like button they are just losing shares to the facebook and their fancy like button...its a no brainer business decision

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 01:13 AM

I'm Larry Cooper and I approve this message.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 06:03 PM

popcorn Ponds count?

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 06:21 PM

A pond naming debate?

Hey if I can be a smart ... I'm in.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 07:33 PM

I am not a fan of hording information about lakes. I mean come on! So I will just chunk this out there. I got a hot tip about the recent flood bringing lots of birds. So for all you that want to crow about me doing this, then crow away. Lake Fumunda is stacked with birds and I am going Saturday to shoot at them. Flame away you jr duck commanders.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 07:38 PM

ducknbass likes that cheese they make close to Lake Fumunda

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 08:11 PM

ducknbass likes that cheese they make close to Lake Fumunda

You would think he was from Wisconsin.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 08:44 PM

I did a google search on Lake Fumunda just to see what was out there. It brought me back to...here.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jnd59
I did a google search on Lake Fumunda just to see what was out there. It brought me back to...here.

Kind of reaffirms the old saying, "wherever you go, there you are".

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/09/17 11:17 PM

Heard it was loaded with tank turds.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 10:30 AM

Heard it was loaded with tank turds.

It is but Garrett hunts with me, so it all balances out. Kind of like a Snickers chocolate bar and a diet Coke.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 01:19 PM

So garret is loading up and going to fumunda with Wal.

Got it

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 03:11 PM

Got it

You don't have to act all jealous....jeeeeeezzzzzzz

From what I've seen there is plenty of G to go around. grin

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 03:16 PM

Got it

You don't have to act all jealous....jeeeeeezzzzzzz

I've been dieting you hurtful arsehole

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 03:30 PM

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 04:35 PM

Asking for ramp locations and about rules/regulations IMO doesn't seem like too much info.

But I knew he would get the responses that he did.

I first moved to Texas the first thing I started doing was looking for places to hunt. Just looking on a map, I picked out several lakes that were closest to me and started looking for hunting info. Couldn't find much. I asked if I could hunt Lake X and people went nuts.

Just saying yes it is legal to hunt on Lake X is not giving away any hot spots, its not telling me if there are or aren't any ducks, etc. One would still have to scout.

See some of us come from states were game wardens phone numbers are not listed. I feel like the game warden has more important things to do than answer a phone all day with simple questions that most on here know the answer to. So for newcomers to the state, calling the game warden is something new.

I know where tons of public land is in Oklahoma and Louisiana. If ANYONE asked me, "Can I hunt this lake", I'd have no problem answering that question honestly. Just because you can hunt it, doesn't mean there will be ducks, and saying "YES" isn't pinpointing any locations.

Asking, "Anybody killing anything on Lake X", is a lot different than asking in August, "Are you allowed to waterfowl hunt on Lake X."

The truth of the matter is most people on here that know about these lakes only know because they hunted it with their parents, other hunters, etc. Most probably did not spend a week on the phone calling game wardens in each county asking for every acre that is huntable. I didn't say all people, but most found out by word of mouth through friends and family. Now to be successful, knowing which lakes you CAN hunt, is not going to put ducks on your strap.

So to the OP, good luck, wish I could answer your questions, because I would do so honestly. In the meantime, I will just continue to drive to Oklahoma and Louisiana to do my duck hunting.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 04:35 PM

rofl

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 05:19 PM

I get some of my best Intel from game wardens. I never worry about a post or picture on a forum. I do worry about the game warden though. I had a game warden tell me detailed directions to within yards of where he checked guys in a canoe that limited on Teal. Those guys found my Canoe ahead of them on that spot the next morning. Not the last time that has happened either. I hunted that spot every Teal season until a bridge was built over it. Then a couple years ago a GW spotted me coming up to a bridge as I was walking from my kayak carrying three resident geese. My heart sunk. I was legal of course, but I knew my spot was blown. He even took a picture of me to share with the other area GW. I asked him to please don't tell where I was or to say I was on a different arm of the lake. Years ago I met a GW on a lake, picked his brain and he not only told me in detail where someone was killing wood ducks, he mentioned their name, "Randy". I inquired further on a hunch. And yep it was a forum member I had seen posting about killing wood ducks. Not often, but I do on occasion still portage off the river to that same spot. I personally would rather let hunters inquire here and let me visit with the Game Warden.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 06:03 PM

Wardens blew a hole of mine out. I guarantee you that. Same one that barely kept his job out east of Dallas.

I think the frats have a map made up and pass it down through the years.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
The truth of the matter is most people on here that know about these lakes only know because they hunted it with their parents, other hunters, etc.

Not me. Parents never hunted, I figured everything out on my own, and I find my own places to hunt, I don't want any help, and I have rarely called a GW. I have, however, called lake office of just about every lake I hunted, which is close to 20 lakes.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma - 11/10/17 06:34 PM

Come on.... People know about the lakes around them because they are on the map, in the news, they swam or fished or camped or partied or drank water originating from it and so on. If you don't know a lake within driving distance exists, you either just moved here or your have never had a life. Now a lake like Truscott? Maybe...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum