Texas Hunting Forum

Travel Hunt?

Posted By: WillEng

Travel Hunt? - 10/26/17 11:25 PM

Hey Guys-

Im thinking that for the first few days of my winter break (mid December) I want to take a little trip to do a cool hunt.

Looking for 12 hours of driving within Houston.

Any recommendations?
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 01:30 AM

Drive north until you see birds.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 02:02 PM

What kind of gear do you have?
Posted By: bentman

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 04:27 PM

Lots of questions here are you looking for a guide ? Are you hunting by yourself looking for a lake to hunt? Do you have a boat and gear?
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 04:47 PM

Stuttgart Arkansas area. i went last year and it was a good time. plenty of public hunting opportunity and guided hunts. And you can go check out Macks Prairie Wings (which is probably the coolest store ive ever been to) and the RNT calls shop which is right next door. Take some warm gear though. i thought i had endured some pretty cold hunts before but it was blistering cold there.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 05:17 PM

aim
Have a safe trip..
Posted By: takemking

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 09:03 PM

Venice, LA...the real duck hunting capital of the world.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 09:46 PM

Another question, what birds have you not collected yet that you really want? That can change the direction of your trip.
Posted By: takemking

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/27/17 09:58 PM

A wise question indeed. FYI the only only thing you won't have an opportunity for in Venice is mallards and cinnamon teal. I've hunted Venice many years and have killed loads of teal, wigeon, greys, pintail, and canvasbacks all in the same hunt...picking out drakes only.
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/28/17 03:58 AM

If your making a 12 hour trip from Houston anywhere I am heading to Kansas or Western Oklahoma...no doubt
Posted By: bentman

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/28/17 05:17 AM

I would go to the panhandle or western Oklahoma dry field ducks geese cranes
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/28/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: noname124398
Stuttgart Arkansas area. i went last year and it was a good time. plenty of public hunting opportunity and guided hunts. And you can go check out Macks Prairie Wings (which is probably the coolest store ive ever been to) and the RNT calls shop which is right next door. Take some warm gear though. i thought i had endured some pretty cold hunts before but it was blistering cold there.

You must have gone up the first week in January. We were completely frozen out the third day up there.

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/29/17 08:38 PM

aim
It really freeze there.But the warmth of Shooting keeo you boiling.
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/30/17 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kman2017
Originally Posted By: noname124398

You must have gone up the first week in January. We were completely frozen out the third day up there.

Yeah I was supposed to go up there last December but since the drought was so bad they had no water to flood the fields.

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/30/17 05:03 PM

Herbie Hancock,Now they have plenty of water.
Going to be good I presume.
Posted By: uplandhunter

Re: Travel Hunt? - 10/31/17 12:43 PM

I hunt in NE Arkansas and it should be a super year. I prefer NE
Arkansas because there is more rice production and you get the
birds SOONER and it does not seem to be near as commercialized
as the southern part of Arkansas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum