Texas Hunting Forum

Duck blinds

Posted By: JoeyV23

Duck blinds - 09/19/17 03:45 PM

Duck hunted a good bit but have never really hunted much over the tanks at one of the ranches I go to. I am wondering what yalls suggestions are for building a blind near one of my tanks that usually holds ducks. I was thinking of digging a shallow pit and building a blind like that. Any thoughts/tips/suggestions are much appreciated. Also pictures of yalls blinds would be of great help to me too.

Thank you
Posted By: cobryan

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 04:05 PM

I would keep it as natural as possible around the tank. I have seen blinds be put in on tanks and the hunting never bee the same as it was before the blind.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 04:46 PM

just lay on the ground ------ and hold still ------- look at the decoys over his shoulder --- no blind.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 04:58 PM

One more thing,,, if your blind is on one side and today the wind is blowing the wrong way you probably will only get passing shots ---- if that.

Posted By: kman2017

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 05:38 PM

Get a layout blinds- very versatile and you can bring them to other spots too.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: kman2017

Bingo
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Originally Posted By: kman2017

Bingo

^^ this, advantage over just laying down is that it gives you a better chance to look around without flashing birds. you can always dig a shallow pit to lay them in as well.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 06:44 PM

Another vote for layout. Sure beats laying on the muddy, wet, cold ground.
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 07:22 PM

Another vote for layout blinds, there are some on sale on rodgers sporting goods website. If you do not have the funds for that, I'd consider if the wind is blowing right to sit up against the pond dam or get as close to cover as possible
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 10:24 PM

Layout blinds are best bet...pit blinds are too much work for what you're wanting to do. Make sure you brush the layout with something that looks natural to the area
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Duck blinds - 09/19/17 11:41 PM

Layouts are nice but for small tanks I prefer making a brush blind out of a few T-posts and some panels. Just build a frame and stack up brush on it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum