Texas Hunting Forum

Lilly Pads??

Posted By: BradyBuck

Lilly Pads?? - 09/10/17 09:26 PM

A large area of Lilly pads have popped up this year and are providing some great cover for teal hunting so far.

Do they provide any benefits for waterfowl? I read mixed opinions on whether or not puddle ducks will eat the seeds and read that mallards may eat the roots?

Posted By: tinkerbell

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 06:06 AM

SAme thing on the wetland I hunt this year.....I think it's because the wetland hasn't drawn down the last 2 years due to good summer rains. In regards to use as duck food...I didn't see any ducks using those areas last year on the wetland I hunt. They would land and feed in the smartweed and barnyard grass.

I would think with the acreage they take up and minimal food production I could produce a few thousand pounds of moist soil plant seeds in the same area. So while there may be some benefit it's nothing compared to annual plants for attracting puddle ducks.

However, one benefit in a pinch a dew cover lily pad can make excellent toilet paper. Don't ask me how I know!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 11:18 AM

All I know, snakes like to curl up on the lily pad next to you!
Posted By: DuckSausage

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 12:22 PM

Just pray they don't continue spreading. I've seen many ponds start with a few, to then be overcome and ruined by them.

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckSausage
Just pray they don't continue spreading. I've seen many ponds start with a few, to then be overcome and ruined by them.

This lake fluctuates so much there seems to be a new type of vegetation every year. Haven't had lily pads for at least the last 7 years, it also has enough deep water to keep at lest part of it clear.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 01:33 PM

I am going to say that ducks do not use lily pads as a food source as we have a 200 acre reservoir that is about half way covered in them and I haven't seen a puddle duck on it in 2 years.

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/11/17 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
I am going to say that ducks do not use lily pads as a food source as we have a 200 acre reservoir that is about half way covered in them and I haven't seen a puddle duck on it in 2 years.

I'd say that's a good indicator.....
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Lilly Pads?? - 09/15/17 12:42 PM

NOOOOOOO

Spray the crap out of them. Very invasive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum