Texas Hunting Forum

Shoulda had more face paint.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/03/17 06:50 PM

Finally got to go yesterday afternoon. Found a spot with a few birds so we headed out to get our 3 dozen mojos and lay out blinds set up. Get half way there and my buddy says he forgot his gillie suit and our face paint, so back to the house we went. Finally get everything set up and start hitting the dove calls. Killed a few here and there but couldn't get all of them to commit. Re-adjust the gillie suits and get back in the blinds after brushing them in a little better. Start dropping them pretty dang good then. Seems we killed more when we would stop calling, I think my buddy needs to practice his dove calling. Gets too hot in the suits and blinds so we quit at 7. Got the pic of 17 after we picked up all 3 dozen mojo then got 3 more with no decoys out and us just standing by the truck......that's weird.... On the way in I noticed my buddy had a spot on his face that wasn't painted. That's why we didn't get 2 limits....shoulda had more face paint.

Posted By: P_102

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/03/17 06:55 PM

Please tell us this is a joke or a very poorly done troll....

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/03/17 07:03 PM

Not a joke that's why I took the pic. We killed 20 birds, 3 not in the pic. I thought it was a good day.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/03/17 09:04 PM

aim
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/03/17 09:06 PM

You guys are true dove commanders...no doubt.
You need your own show
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/04/17 12:17 AM

Pretty sure it was the purple cup that scared them. grin
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/04/17 01:53 AM

Face paint for dove....wow.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/04/17 02:18 AM

So what worked better calling wise? A Dove Hail Call or a Dove Feeding Call?
Posted By: chesterc

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/04/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: TyBU

Or sparrow in distress call?
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/06/17 06:36 PM

Too funny. Just hope you had all your dove tags.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/06/17 10:41 PM

bs
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/09/17 10:00 PM

roflmao
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/10/17 06:25 PM

3 dozen mojo decoys are a good start but if you want to pull in the big flocks you'll need to double that number. Also, most people just blow the regular mourning call but if you really want to pull them in close you'll need to perfect the "dove feeding chuckle." Blow that until they're feet down in the decoys and then switch to the mourning call to keep them anchored there. If you're not using Dove Dynasty face paint them I'd recommend it. It goes on in just two or three coats and acts as a moisturizer too.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/10/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
3 dozen mojo decoys are a good start but if you want to pull in the big flocks you'll need to double that number. Also, most people just blow the regular mourning call but if you really want to pull them in close you'll need to perfect the "dove feeding chuckle." Blow that until they're feet down in the decoys and then switch to the mourning call to keep them anchored there. If you're not using Dove Dynasty face paint them I'd recommend it. It goes on in just two or three coats and acts as a moisturizer too.
roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/10/17 07:33 PM

Dove commanders or Dove ninjas. I know alot of folks that would be interested in seeing a how to instructive video or a step by step power point presentation if it was made available up peep
Posted By: Public Duck

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/20/17 07:00 PM

forgot our 3 dozen decoys and gillie suits. but didn't forget the bud light.

guess we forgot the face paint too...
Posted By: Streater

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/21/17 03:55 PM

You should try the super magnum sized dove deeks. Throw out about 6 dozen. They can see them from Argentina. Avian X makes a good one.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/22/17 11:32 AM

How many banded ones did you get? I'd love to get a band for my dove call!

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/22/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Streater
You should try the super magnum sized dove deeks. Throw out about 6 dozen. They can see them from Argentina. Avian X makes a good one.

Cool I'll look for them. I just got the new Haydels Dove Whistle, says it makes mating calls, feeding calls, and greeting calls so I'm gonna give it s shot.

Looking into the "Dove Feeding Frenzy" it's a decoy with 3 mojos mounted on a spinning motor, so the mojos flap while the whole rig spins in a circle.... awesome.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/22/17 02:55 PM

I not sure what I find more funny... well played sarcasm or the folks don't recognize it. roflmao

Nice 8pt, got me laughing. cheers
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/23/17 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TyBU

The rarely heard "Dove Challenge", will bring in the aggressive Bull doves,.......
Posted By: Streater

Re: Shoulda had more face paint. - 09/25/17 07:18 PM

You'll need an Ice Blaster for the second split. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Higdon-Ou...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum