Texas Hunting Forum

lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports?

Posted By: topwater_elvis

lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/30/17 09:56 PM

Has anyone been out there in the last couple of days?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/30/17 10:00 PM

Tons of birds at my LO's place in Throckmorton.
Posted By: Wayne J

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/30/17 11:55 PM

Anybody?
Posted By: Wayne J

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/30/17 11:55 PM

Anybody?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/31/17 12:52 AM

Not seeing many dove at all on the fields around Graham.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 08/31/17 01:57 AM

Haven't seen many around Wichita either. Normally we are covered up with white wings in the city but not many this year. Havent been out to any fields.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/01/17 12:46 AM

Haven't made it out to our field yet, but there are a lot if city doves in town here in Graham tonight.
Posted By: nak

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/01/17 01:27 AM

Lots of birds on Olney. More mosquitoes. Bring lots of OFF or DDT.

Still mid grade and premium gas here

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/01/17 01:57 AM

Great! Thanks!
Posted By: NTXR

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/04/17 01:52 PM

Our numbers were way down west of Graham. We had a few limits in our group, but not like in years past. It didn't take much pressure on the field for the birds that were using it to abandon it. The sunflower didn't come in very well this year, so we were expecting a down year. Definitely bring insect repellent.
Posted By: Ratrod101

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/05/17 11:55 AM

Graford- Friday they moving in very small groups if 3-4, singles mainly. Yesterday, saw 3 in 2 hrs. Hoping they haven't arrived yet.
Posted By: Khaiguy

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 02:52 PM

Opening weekend at Puddin's Woodson property was excellent. We camped on the west side of the middle field and watched the bird show on Thursday evening. We saw wave after wave of doves from 3:30-6:00. Must have counted over 500 birds. Tons of birds Sept 1 with early limits. Saturday was slower but still got limit. Sunday was slower but still got limit. George told me that Jan called him and said the lower filed was loaded with birds again now that all the hunters have left. It was a perfect opener for the wife, me and the pups.

Posted By: bobcat1

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 04:50 PM

So you were the one camped in the Mott. Good spot. That is where we have hunted the past 3 years. Glad y'all got your limits. Saw your Mojos and Mojo trees set up Thursday afternoon and running. I had planned on hunting down on the fenceline but you pretty well took up 4 hunting spots with your setup. Was that your Lexus SUV on the west side of the mott also? Your camper on the East?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 10:12 PM

Why is there a camper in the field? Did you move it once you got your limit??
Posted By: 68A

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Khaiguy
Opening weekend at Puddin's Woodson property was excellent. We camped on the west side of the middle field and watched the bird show on Thursday evening. We saw wave after wave of doves from 3:30-6:00. Must have counted over 500 birds. Tons of birds Sept 1 with early limits. Saturday was slower but still got limit. Sunday was slower but still got limit. George told me that Jan called him and said the lower filed was loaded with birds again now that all the hunters have left. It was a perfect opener for the wife, me and the pups.

Who puts a camper in the field?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 10:39 PM

camper wont bother anything
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/06/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Think the point is it takes up space for 4 or 5 straight days cutting folks off from that area. Even after they have their limit. Seems a common camping area would be best or some place awwy from where you hunt. Last lease I was on, camping area was separate and not allowed in the field. And putting mojos out the day before? Fine but remove them and move once you have your limit so someone in a slower area can move if they are flying good there. Everyone pays the same and is not assigned a specific spot.

Just some common courtesy things to think about when sharing a field and my opinion only so many might disagree.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 12:02 AM

I agree Txduckman.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Think the point is it takes up space for 4 or 5 straight days cutting folks off from that area. Even after they have their limit. Seems a common camping area would be best or some place awwy from where you hunt. Last lease I was on, camping area was separate and not allowed in the field. And putting mojos out the day before? Fine but remove them and move once you have your limit so someone in a slower area can move if they are flying good there. Everyone pays the same and is not assigned a specific spot.

Just some common courtesy things to think about when sharing a field and my opinion only so many might disagree.

Do you know this specific property?

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 03:28 AM

I do
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I do

So do I.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 08:36 PM

That field is huge and we were next to the east side of the trees facing the field. I wouldn't call that being "in" the field. Yes, we had the Silver Infiniti SUV parked on the west side of the clump of Mesquite. We had plenty of hunters well spaced north, south and east of us. Everyone seemed to be doing really well on Friday from what we could see. It really slowed down the next two days. I hunted the fence line perpendicular to the road and three to four fellas hunted the two thick clumps of Mesquite a littler further east on that same fence line. It looked like those spots were very productive the first day but died down Sat and Sun too.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 11:34 PM

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I understand Bobcat's point. I should have been more considerate. It wasn't just me hunting though. My wife hunted morning and evening all three days as she is still new at it. We'll do thing differently next year. As for me, I only got my limit on the morning of the opening day. After that, it took most of both and morning and evening hunts to get there.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/07/17 11:57 PM

Thanks Khai. So no one hunted where your trailer was parked? Traditionally that has been a fantastic spot to put mojos out. When they come around either side of the mott they tend to decoy well right there. A person on each end of the mott and down the perpendicular fence to the road about 75 to 100 yards down it really do well there.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 01:31 AM

OK, you made me Google it Bobby...

"motte" - mät noun: a stand of trees, especially in the southwestern US; a grove.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 03:06 AM

Thanks Khai. So no one hunted where your trailer was parked? Traditionally that has been a fantastic spot to put mojos out. When they come around either side of the mott they tend to decoy well right there. A person on each end of the mott and down the perpendicular fence to the road about 75 to 100 yards down it really do well there.
Hey I was close on spelling. Not bad for a 61 year old man.
Posted By: Ratrod101

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 01:04 PM

What's everyone's opinion about this weekend and quantity of birds flying?

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
What's everyone's opinion about this weekend and quantity of birds flying?
I'm thinking about going crappie fishing instead.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 08:53 PM

crappie good.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/08/17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

crappie good.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/11/17 07:55 PM

Hi Bob,

That's where my wife hunted the entire weekend. She liked be close to the trailer so that's where I set her up. She did OK but pushed most birds toward the opening between the south of the clump of trees and the next set of mesquite. Another hunter was posted in the middle of the opening and cleaned up. He loved it as she kept flaring birds toward him.

Re: lets hear some up-to-date Graham or Olney area reports? - 09/12/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Khaiguy

Hi Bob,

That's where my wife hunted the entire weekend. She liked be close to the trailer so that's where I set her up. She did OK but pushed most birds toward the opening between the south of the clump of trees and the next set of mesquite. Another hunter was posted in the middle of the opening and cleaned up. He loved it as she kept flaring birds toward him.
The little dead mesquite is my favorite spot. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum