Texas Hunting Forum

Help me identify something

Posted By: RLoving1

Help me identify something - 08/13/17 10:15 PM

Have picture on phone but maybe description will get answere. Found large bird, larger than a dove but smaller than domestic pigeon. Colored semi black but has distinct brown/bronze breast, under side of wings are slate gray like ring neck dove and has white patch on back before tail. I have dove feeding on school ground and it was very near them and pigeon for size reference. Noticed them (group of 4-5) about a week ago and they stayed separate from dove and pigeons and flew their own way from other species. When they walked they didn't bob their heads like pigeons do, wondering if it's a cross between Eurasian and domestic pigeon. As luck would have it one of them bought the farm from car driving down road so I have picture on phone. PM me and can text picture if it would help.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 01:27 AM

Tangerine Ringneck Dove perhaps. Places like Strombergs sell them.

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 11:33 AM

Thats what we need one more bird to ID and keep count of in bag limit.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 06:05 PM

Pics from RLoving1

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 06:10 PM

The size caomparison between the other species and group with identical coloration is what struck me as odd. Maybe get answere from the group.
Posted By: odwraca

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 06:18 PM

That is an odd looking bird. Never seen one before and could not find a matching one. Will be interested to see if someone knows!
Posted By: 12gauge

Re: Help me identify something - 08/14/17 09:17 PM

That's a strange looking bird for sure. Looks like a Ruddy Quail Dove?

http://bib.ge/img_animal/80945421mtredi2.jpg

My elderly next door neighbor used to raise all kinds of exotic and imported doves. He had a large aviary in his back yard. After he died a few years ago his family opened the door and let all of them fly away. That's how invasive species get started.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Help me identify something - 08/15/17 04:00 AM

clap

Re: Help me identify something - 08/15/17 11:45 AM

Well google didn't get me anywhere but still curious and looking. May just be another flying rat but still makes me wonder.
Posted By: LuckyVictim

Re: Help me identify something - 08/24/17 06:20 AM

It may just be me... I am by no means a have experience with birds outside of knocking them from the sky, but at the risk of sounding foolish, I'll be damned if that doesn't look like a Passenger Pigeon. Y'all tell me... Thought they were extinct. Might be why google was no help.

https://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/passpigeon.htm

Re: Help me identify something - 08/24/17 02:25 PM

confused That would be crazy but they do look oddly similar.

Re: Help me identify something - 08/25/17 12:42 PM

I posted the pics on a bird identification group on Facebook.

For it to be a passenger pigeon, it would have to have something different with the tail. Everyone was saying that it just can't be true since they are "extinct".

Otherwise it seems to have been identified as a feral pigeon with odd coloring.

If you kept the carcass, you could have a biologist take a look.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Help me identify something - 08/25/17 02:49 PM

Build a wall. Those are Syrian doves.

Re: Help me identify something - 08/25/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: LuckyVictim
It may just be me... I am by no means a have experience with birds outside of knocking them from the sky, but at the risk of sounding foolish, I'll be damned if that doesn't look like a Passenger Pigeon. Y'all tell me... Thought they were extinct. Might be why google was no help.

https://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/passpigeon.htm

That would be sad a so called extinct bird get taken out by 94 GMC thats slow as a tax refund! Betting just feral flying rat with odd markings.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Help me identify something - 09/19/17 04:57 PM

looks like some sort of pigeon cross? clean him, coarse salt, and pepper, wrapped in bacon over hot bed of mesquite coals should be just fine!
Posted By: kweber

Re: Help me identify something - 09/19/17 05:10 PM

I'm going w/immature rock dove (common pigeon)...
while I'm no pigeon expert, look at the cover feathers on the wings...
immature mourning doves have the same light colored tips as this bird...
we shoot quit a few of the young mourners here at the south border of the central zone early Sept...
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Help me identify something - 09/20/17 03:14 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Erich

Re: Help me identify something - 09/20/17 01:13 PM

I vote pigeon or pigeon hybrid of some kind. little different looking in coloration but definitely a lot of pigeon resemblance in size and shape. They come in all sorts of colors.
Posted By: LTC Realty

Re: Help me identify something - 09/21/17 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: odwraca
I posted the pics on a bird identification group on Facebook.

For it to be a passenger pigeon, it would have to have something different with the tail. Everyone was saying that it just can't be true since they are "extinct".

Otherwise it seems to have been identified as a feral pigeon with odd coloring.

If you kept the carcass, you could have a biologist take a look.

I'd have it tested. Never know, some strange things are always happening in the animal kingdom. I would have it tested just to ease my curiosity.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum