duck ID?

Posted By: lubbockdave

duck ID? - 01/23/17 04:00 AM

Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 04:04 AM

Gadwall drake and hen

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 04:08 AM

SWEET! that's what I thought they were...

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 01:59 PM

Don't see "Gadwall" in the TPWD regs...guessing they fall under "all other species"?
Posted By: Guy

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 02:04 PM

That bottom one is fedrally protected whooping duck, big fine for shooting those. I hope a game warden doesn't read this.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 02:08 PM

popcorn

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
That bottom one is fedrally protected whooping duck, big fine for shooting those. I hope a game warden doesn't read this.

Hahaha mess with the new guy...makes it hard to ask legit questions though.
Posted By: Guy

Re: duck ID? - 01/23/17 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave

Word of advice, don't post dead animals on the forum you shot and ask the forum to ID it. Live animals is ok, dead animals no. Any dead animal you shoot and post a pic, you should 100% know what it is and was legal, otherwise you are taking big risk in incriminating yourself. People get busted for this all the time.

Now go to the book store and get this;

https://www.amazon.com/Waterfowl-Identification-LeMaster-Method-Richard/dp/0811729826

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 12:33 AM

Word of advice, don't post dead animals on the forum you shot and ask the forum to ID it. Live animals is ok, dead animals no. Any dead animal you shoot and post a pic, you should 100% know what it is and was legal, otherwise you are taking big risk in incriminating yourself. People get busted for this all the time.

Now go to the book store and get this;

https://www.amazon.com/Waterfowl-Identification-LeMaster-Method-Richard/dp/0811729826

didn't say I shot the bird-just looking for an ID.
Posted By: Roc

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 01:38 AM

I agree with Guy. What if you had shot two canvasbacks and the limit was one. Some limits in the past have been one bird. You should be able to ID in flight or let them land and ID them before shooting.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 02:44 AM

Again I didn't say I shot the birds...just looking for an ID. Might suggest there are better ways to help a newbie out than using fear tactics. I may not know what certain birds are but I sure know a jackass when I see one.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:24 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 04:06 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 12:58 PM

Youve got a gadwall... limit on gadwall is 6..... for all I know, you found it dead near the pond and are thinking about sending it off for testing for cause of death. I'm not hear to police you bud.
Posted By: rickym

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 01:16 PM

If you dont know what one is, type visual characteristics into google. Ive done that twice this year and it was right both times.
Posted By: TDK

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 01:22 PM

Again I didn't say I shot the birds...just looking for an ID. Might suggest there are better ways to help a newbie out than using fear tactics. I may not know what certain birds are but I sure know a jackass when I see one.

I assume you were looking in a mirror? You were given good advice, learn from it.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

I assume you were looking in a mirror? You were given good advice, learn from it.

Really? how so? came on here to try and confirm what I already knew and one of the "old timers" tries to throw me a curve...but i don't bite. Then I call him out on it? Makes me the azz? really?
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 01:50 PM

Don't sweat it man. I have trouble recognizing them while they're flying because I'm colorblind. Plus, 90% of the ducks I see are wood ducks, so usually I shoot 3 and go home.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 02:18 PM

Naw, I'm not sweating anything my friend. I've seen this before. Heck man, I might have been one of those with all the "keyboard courage" in the past. That's why there is an "ignore this user" function. I'm gonna just keep going, keep interacting with the good folks out there and ignoring the rest. cheers

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 02:39 PM

You know what I don't do when I'm sure of something? Ask for clarification on the internet.

You owe the responsibility to the resource to be educated about Regulations and species identification , anything less is questionable ethical practice. In years past due to certain regulations you could have set yourself up for legal issues, ignorance isn't a good excuse unless your last name is Clinton.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:04 PM

You know what I don't do when I'm sure of something? Ask for clarification on the internet.

You owe the responsibility to the resource to be educated about Regulations and species identification , anything less is questionable ethical practice. In years past due to certain regulations you could have set yourself up for legal issues, ignorance isn't a good excuse unless your last name is Clinton.

And your qualified to judge me and my ethics? How so? Again, never said I shot those birds...just looking to confirm what I already knew about them. Doing what I can to learn about species ID. Got no local "expert" to lean on. Got a guide trip scheduled for this weekend and I may never load my gun...might just ask lots of questions and let the guide do the shooting, as i am not 100% sure on my ability to not screw up and shoot the wrong critter. Also, a kind member here has sent me contact info on his son who happens to be in school locally and is a pro duck hunter. Plan to buy that young man dinner and maybe bring him out to my lease and let him educate me as well, if he is willing.

you didn't know any of this did you? But you are quick to judge and make assumptions about me aren't you?
Posted By: Cochise

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:08 PM

If you're new to waterfowl hunting don't shoot birds that you aren't sure what they are. Very questionable ethics. Get the book others have suggested or find someone to hunt with that can teach you bird ID.

No one is trying to rain on your parade - most of us care about the future of our sport and one of the big factors of that is ethics. It has lacked quite a bit in the past several years in many ways. On top of that - Guy was trying to look out for you in regards to posting dead bird ID questions on the open forum - good luck on trying to convince a game warden you didn't kill the birds when you posted a picture of four dead Canvasbacks or whatever on the forum when the limit is 2.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:09 PM

No, I just don't believe your story. It doesn't add up.

What qualifications does one need to be a pro duck hunter?

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:18 PM

No, I just don't believe your story. It doesn't add up.

What qualifications does one need to be a pro duck hunter?

What story? What doesn't add up? "Pro duck hunter" to me is someone who makes money as a guide...several years experience-PRO.
Posted By: john paul

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:39 PM

lubbockdave I don't think this is the place for you if you are going to get this butt hurt over someone telling you that you killed a "whooping duck".
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:51 PM

There is a Duck ID app too called iDuckID. First thing I look at while flying is how fast their wings are flapping.

Turbo- teal
Fast and usually hollering- Wood Duck
Medium- Big duck (start looking closer and listening for quacks) Since I can't see the green head, I try to have someone with me all the time who can. There are still some ducks I've never seen flying since I hunt in east Texas, so it makes it a little more difficult.

Another thing I do to compensate is go out before season and during the split and SCOUT a bunch. Use binoculars, and you can get a good look at them and their flight characteristics.

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:51 PM

Kid couldn't hang in a duck blind with real "pros".

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
lubbockdave I don't think this is the place for you if you are going to get this butt hurt over someone telling you that you killed a "whooping duck".

Dood. Not hurt at all...find it all comical really! roflmao
I didn't kill anything. Just wanted ID confirmation. Couple of folks making way to many assumptions is all. But my feelings are far from hurt over any of this. muyloco

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:54 PM

Kid couldn't hang in a duck blind with real "pros".

Most accurate thing you have typed today bud. But I am trying to learn. roflmao

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
There is a Duck ID app too called iDuckID. First thing I look at while flying is how fast their wings are flapping.

Turbo- teal
Fast and usually hollering- Wood Duck
Medium- Big duck (start looking closer and listening for quacks) Since I can't see the green head, I try to have someone with me all the time who can. There are still some ducks I've never seen flying since I hunt in east Texas, so it makes it a little more difficult.

Another thing I do to compensate is go out before season and during the split and SCOUT a bunch. Use binoculars, and you can get a good look at them and their flight characteristics.

Gotcha! I got the app and I am working on my ID skills. Slow but progressing...
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 04:27 PM

Heck man, everybody's new to duck hunting at some point. F.N.Gs gotta catch some grief to be able to give it to the next new guy. I've been waterfowling over 40 yrs, mostly public and still learn things from this group of wackos. Good luck and enjoy!

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
Heck man, everybody's new to duck hunting at some point. F.N.Gs gotta catch some grief to be able to give it to the next new guy. I've been waterfowling over 40 yrs, mostly public and still learn things from this group of wackos. Good luck and enjoy!

Appreciate it! Been a while since I have been this excited about hunting. Chased deer since I was 6. Time to expand the horizons some wink
Posted By: 68A

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 04:58 PM

roflmao
Posted By: 68A

Re: duck ID? - 01/24/17 05:06 PM

You gotta lighten up, catching some [censored] is part of it. Gotta admit, posting pictures of dead birds online and then asking what species they are was not the best move. Theres a ton of info out there for ID help including the DU website.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum