Texas Hunting Forum

Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!!

Posted By: tinkerbell

Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:15 PM

Well morning started out good. We downed 9 birds, losing 2 that decided the watery depths were more appropriate for them than the cooking pot. I hate when they dive as I try to run them down. I need a dog!! It was a good reward for a rainy day. Mallards didn't show up, but a fair amount of teal and the shovelers bombed in as per usual.

As we were leaving I was pulling through a gate when my truck was STRUCK BY LIGHTNING! Everything went red and the tremendous thunder clap 3 feet from my face, cracked my windshield and fried the electrical system in my truck putting smoke into the cab and making various things turn on and off, or stay on even after I turned off the power. It was insane, but a blessing since I had been out of the truck the previous 45 seconds messing with the lock, opening the gate, etc. I was in the truck maybe 7 seconds when the lightning hit.....video of the aftermath > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXLJWEKtobY

Called the insurance company, tow truck and everyone else. So we'll see what happens, but I think my truck will be totaled!

Craziness, but I'm glad I'm alive!! It was the only lightning we saw all morning, and boy did we see it!! Guy behind me said he saw a red fireball 15-20 feet high come off my truck from 200 yards away as he was driving up; hoping I wasn't dead at the gate!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:34 PM

eek2
Posted By: Youngone2016

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:36 PM

Wow!!!! Glad you are ok!!!!! That sounds like you are very very fortunate!
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:37 PM

Dang not good
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:47 PM

Glad you're safe and sorry about your truck. That's crazy.

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:55 PM

It was insane! Still a little in shock that it actually happened! What a way to lose a vehicle!
Posted By: Redraider26

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/17/17 11:56 PM

Thankfully you are ok! Now, did it BBQ those ducks up for you or what?
Posted By: AbeLinkkin

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 01:40 AM

At least you had some fresh flash fried duck to eat while you waited for the tow truck haha
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 11:17 AM

We should call you Sparky.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 11:48 AM

I've always wondered how common something like this was. Sounds scary as hell
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 12:56 PM

Glad your ok
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 12:58 PM

Seems as if you've got some sins to address
Posted By: Guy

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 01:42 PM

Sure it wasn't a close encounter? That's some crazy stuff, glad you are ok.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 03:29 PM

I did not think lightening would hit a vehicle due to the rubber tires.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 03:33 PM

Would of had to clean my pants after that. Glad y'all are okay.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 03:40 PM

Wow!
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
I did not think lightening would hit a vehicle due to the rubber tires.

It won't, but I would bet it arced to the gate as he was driving through it and created a ground. When I was in college a guy was leaning against his truck and lightning hit the truck and grounded through him. It killed him and a kid that was sitting in the back of the truck.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
We should call you Sparky.

Or many "Flash, Boom, Bang"... clap

Originally Posted By: tinkerbell
It was insane! Still a little in shock that it actually happened! What a way to lose a vehicle!
Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 05:09 PM

Had that happen several years ago going into waterway out of Pier 66 Marina in Ft. Lauderdale - Antennas were down hit them fried them like marshmallow sticks as well as all electronics on boat- no explosion more of an implosion deafened two of us on bridge and numbed upper body - scared the phoo out of me!
Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 05:09 PM

Had that happen several years ago going into inland waterway out of Pier 66 Marina in Ft. Lauderdale - Antennas were down hit them fried them like marshmallow sticks as well as all electronics on boat- no explosion more of an implosion deafened two of us on bridge and numbed upper body - scared the phoo out of me!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 05:42 PM

Crazy! Glad you are ok!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/18/17 10:25 PM

You're one lucky man. You best be praising God and all that is Holy.
Posted By: Gengo

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/19/17 02:55 PM

Holy crap I didn't even know that could happen! Glad you are ok. I liked your ending line from the video
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/19/17 04:02 PM

Wow. Glad you are ok.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/19/17 10:52 PM

Glad it turned out OK for you...... but if you had a Cheby, that bolt would have bounced off and hit the gate bolt
Posted By: CarolinaPete

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/26/17 02:16 AM

I have a security camera video of my duramax taking a lightning strike. Insurance covered it all, $7500 worth of electrical damage.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/26/17 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: CarolinaPete
I have a security camera video of my duramax taking a lightning strike. Insurance covered it all, $7500 worth of electrical damage.

Post it.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/28/17 06:20 PM

Hope you bought a lottery ticket on the way home!
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/29/17 01:29 AM

flame
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 01/29/17 05:03 AM

So, did they total it? confused2
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/01/17 09:52 PM

Holy Crap, Glad you are okay.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/02/17 12:01 AM

Thank God you're ok!
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/02/17 02:13 AM

scared

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/02/17 07:23 PM

Yes, the truck was totaled.....said the damage sat at $7,000 and they would have to replace $4,000 in main electrical components just to see how much more damage their was.

Very blessed that nothing happened to me. Even more blessed I still got to eat the ducks.

Lastly, extremely blessed with great parents and an understanding wife who let me borrow dad's truck and travel to Kansas to hunt with a college buddy for 3 days just 2 days after my truck being struck by lightning!

I still can't get over that it happened!
Posted By: pir7tr

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/05/17 09:19 PM

That's insane.
I might have crapped my pants as the thunder went off.
Glad your ok.
Makes for one hell of a story though!
GWT are always purdy!
Posted By: dbgsig

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/07/17 12:07 AM

wow sick
Posted By: BigBlaze07

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/12/17 08:07 PM

Glad your ok. Man that's crazy!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/14/17 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: tinkerbell
Yes, the truck was totaled.....said the damage sat at $7,000 and they would have to replace $4,000 in main electrical components just to see how much more damage their was.

Very blessed that nothing happened to me. Even more blessed I still got to eat the ducks.

Lastly, extremely blessed with great parents and an understanding wife who let me borrow dad's truck and travel to Kansas to hunt with a college buddy for 3 days just 2 days after my truck being struck by lightning!

I still can't get over that it happened!

Dang. You are Blessed and what a great understanding wife.

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/14/17 04:34 AM

She's the best! Let's me indulge during hunting season!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/14/17 03:08 PM

eeks333
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/14/17 05:33 PM

Crazy story. Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Most Expensive Duck Hunt I've Ever Been on! Thanks to Lightning!! - 02/28/17 11:08 PM

How long did it take before you got out of the truck? peep
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum