Texas Hunting Forum

King Eiders Anyone?

Posted By: waterfowlwonders

King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 06:31 PM

Just got back from a hunt in St Paul Alaska with Aleutian Island Waterfowlers for King Eiders. Weather was brutal for a Texas boy. Temps 25-35 degrees with winds 30-40 mph. got down to the last morning of the hunt and me and my buddy were skunked. The good lord heard my prayer and the winds dropped to 15-20 that morning with snow and sleet. This allowed us to get out a little further out than we had earlier in the week and that was the ticket. Dropped 7 birds of an 8 bird limit in an hour of hunting. We got back just in time to pack and hit the airport. It was an awesome trip overall. Nothing should live in the bearing sea! Its very unforgiving and has a way of letting you know how small and insignificant in the world a person really is. This was a bucket list trip for me and one that I will never forget.

I'm the ugly one on the right! lol

Dan

Posted By: texassippi

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 06:49 PM

That's good stuff cheers
Posted By: garrett

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 07:01 PM

awesome experience
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 07:07 PM

Sweet. Got to do it one day.
Posted By: Cast

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 07:11 PM

Dang. Jealous.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 08:14 PM

Awesome! Sounds like an incredible adventure/hunt. I've read that just getting to St Paul alone is half the challenge. Congrats!!

Not sure I could do the 2 man layout though....
Posted By: wal1809

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 08:22 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 08:26 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 08:37 PM

I respect the commitment. up
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/21/16 08:49 PM

It's captain Elder not King
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 12:56 AM

Awesome hunt! Looks really cold. cheers
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 05:31 AM

Awesomeness cheers
Posted By: Avian Assassins

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 01:49 PM

I've looked into hunting up there with them but haven't gotten to do it yet.
Congrats on some beautiful birds!
Posted By: Guy

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 02:04 PM

Looks like an awsome adventure. up
Posted By: waterfowlwonders

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 05:15 PM

You are correct in saying that getting there is half the battle. My buddies bags didn't show for 2 days. They prioritize the luggage and guns always make it, beyond that it depends on weight and what they have to haul. Weather was 25-35 degrees and the wind was 30-40 mph every day we were there except for when we first landed and the last morning and even then is was 10-20 mph. Was not in a lay out boat, it was a 17ft banks boat that worked pretty well. Here is a video of the trip. A little long at 13 minutes and no kill shots but you will see what is on the island and trip getting there. My shotgun cam got destroyed (submerged) by sea water on the first day. The guys hunting the week before us had great weather and limited in 1.5 days. We had the 2nd worst weather of the year and had to work a little harder.

Posted By: garrett

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 05:19 PM

amazing adventure
Posted By: Navasot

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 05:31 PM

im out with all the flying... bet that was a big time once you got there!
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 07:34 PM

Having read about these hunts a few times, it was great to see the video. Looks like an amazing trip...pretty cool to see the Deadliest Catch boats working as well.

Not sure how well I'd stomach the ride in the Bearing Sea though....the few times I've been deep sea fishing, I didn't fare so well.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
I respect the commitment. up

X2
Posted By: NMGW

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/22/16 08:03 PM

WOW what an adventure, great video. up
Posted By: AF_Chief

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/23/16 02:12 AM

Congrats!!! Definitely the trip of a lifetime!! I did it in January 2014.
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/23/16 02:06 PM

Saw your pics on the AEO Facebook, congrats. That's a tough place to go hunt. When plan A is available, it's amazing; but when the weather turns, there is no plan B. We went in '10 and got stuck there firv3 extra days due to the weather. We got to hunt 1 day and shot a pair each. The other 6 days it was 10-15 degrees with winds over 70. I swore I would never go back but just booked for next year.

Half our group never got their luggage. This trip taught me to pack my waders and a full set of clothes in my carry on.

It's one hell of an experience and I suggest it to anyone wanting to hunt ducks at one of the most extreme locations in the world.
These pictures sums up our entire trip.

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/24/16 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: AF_Chief
Congrats!!! Definitely the trip of a lifetime!! I did it in January 2014.

WRO carves a really nice eider decoy.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: King Eiders Anyone? - 01/25/16 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by waterfowlwonders
You are correct in saying that getting there is half the battle. My buddies bags didn't show for 2 days. They prioritize the luggage and guns always make it, beyond that it depends on weight and what they have to haul. Weather was 25-35 degrees and the wind was 30-40 mph every day we were there except for when we first landed and the last morning and even then is was 10-20 mph. Was not in a lay out boat, it was a 17ft banks boat that worked pretty well. Here is a video of the trip. A little long at 13 minutes and no kill shots but you will see what is on the island and trip getting there. My shotgun cam got destroyed (submerged) by sea water on the first day. The guys hunting the week before us had great weather and limited in 1.5 days. We had the 2nd worst weather of the year and had to work a little harder.

That was two of my best friends. They said it was a blast and was done in 1.5 days lol!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum