Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hangers

Posted By: hunt91

Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:37 AM

I'm planning on getting a duck hanger fabricated as a Christmas gift this year. To specify, it would be used near the cleaning table at the ranch to take pictures with. I've got a design in my head, but would like some other ideas or opinions. This will be used strictly for ducks and I would like it to hold 6 limits. I'm thinking three rows of 12.

Does anyone have any pictures of duck hangers they would like to share?
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 12:02 PM

Just drill a 3\4 inch hole in plywood in the order you wish to hang the ducks. Paint it. Stuck duck beaks in holes. Gravity will wedge the beam in the hole. Take picture.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 02:50 PM

We do what Wal does but make two holes and then saw in between.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 03:44 PM

There you go
Posted By: Judd

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 03:45 PM

DAYUM Creek...you do know that dead hens don't lay eggs?

#shootforgreen
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

#shootforgreen

Gotta fill every hole on the board somehow when that's how success is defined
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 03:58 PM

#shootforgreen

Telling you boys Aldo Leapold reincarnated right there.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

#shootforgreen

Yeah, but live hens get raped repeatedly before they lay those eggs. They were just mitigating trauma for some of those egg layers.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

#shootforgreen

not bad for a grease monkey, I had to google old Aldo Leapold

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:10 PM

Don't feel bad G...I had to google the old codger last week, I'd never heard of him. I'll give the grease monkey one thing...he's well read.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:10 PM

That magazine ole Hugh Hefner started interviewed him last year.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:12 PM

#shootforgreen

Takes two to tango

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 04:16 PM

#shootforgreen

I do, but sometimes getting a limit, picking up, cleaning the birds, dropping guys off, and still getting breakfast from McDonald's before 1030 is a little more important. I shoot only green when my stomach isn't growling... You notice no shovelers in the pic though!

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 05:50 PM

you'd need to drill bigger holes for a nice trophy spoonie to hang on the board

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 06:02 PM

All I know is TJ is now Trinity jesus
Not Texoma Jesus
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
you'd need to drill bigger holes for a nice trophy spoonie to hang on the board

That's why you just split the board instead of drill holes hammer
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

#shootforgreen

I do, but sometimes getting a limit, picking up, cleaning the birds, dropping guys off, and still getting breakfast from McDonald's before 1030 is a little more important. I shoot only green when my stomach isn't growling... You notice no shovelers in the pic though!

Memphis, Tennessee – October 15, 2015

DU NEWS FLASH – McDonald’s Hopes to Save Ducks with All Day Breakfast

Just in time for waterfowl season, McDonald’s locations across the nation will now serve the most popular breakfast items all day. While serving breakfast all day will slow down overall lunch and dinner service as bacon and burgers now compete for limited grill space after 10:30 am, the decision is considered a major win for waterfowl conservation.

DU has urged McDonald's for all day breakfast since data scientists first revealed some hunters chasing limits don’t think twice about sacrificing hens, and the future of waterfowling, if it means missing the chance to order an Egg McMuffin. In the 20th century McDonald’s was resistant to all day breakfast; concerned with a diminished customer experience as patrons will have to wait in line an extra minute or so for a Big Mac.

McDonald’s finally agreed to DU demands for all day breakfast after recent studies show the population under 30 in the 21st century is barely aware of the concept of time as they mindlessly live a virtual existence. DU pointed out to McDonald’s just as the call of the threatened Northern Bobwhite is rarely heard, fewer drivers now honk at motionless drivers the moment the light turns green at intersections and drivers waiting in the fast food lanes routinely allow large gaps to form in what were previously bumper to bumper lines.

In an effort to get the word out about all day breakfast to hen killers, McDonald’s and DU launched a Save Ducks digital marketing campaign targeting waterfowl hunters using migration and geospatial data to reach duck hunters in hot spots along the flyways. Conservation organizations will monitor waterfowl populations closely to determine if duck eggs will be saved now that chicken eggs are available for consumption all day at McDonald’s.

Blue Moon

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 09:18 PM

You see, I'm a bisquit guy and those aren't served all day! Very nice write up though. You deserve an award for that!

We live in Texas. If a hunter says that they never shoot mallard hens, that is fine. When I am in a mecca during my travels, that is how I hunt. Here in texas though, it would be hard to get consistent limits of green without banging a few suzies... Just saying.

Also, when you have large flocks dumping into the woods on top of you, it tends to happen by accident no matter where you are hunting. A hen free hunt in places I hunt can be done, but not all that common.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/02/15 09:21 PM

That's hilarious and very well done, Blue Moon.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 05:27 AM

Well done BM rofl

Creek...I'd rather go home empty handed versus shooting a few hens to fill out a strap. To each their own as long as your hunting within your limits. Just don't be the douche that cries about duck numbers and kill the [censored] out of hens.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:13 AM

Creek.. don't be the douche that cries about duck numbers and kill the [censored] out of hens.

happy3

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 12:59 PM

I never complain during duck season.
Posted By: Texan1554

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 01:50 PM

There is absolutely ZERO evidence that killing hens has any affect whatsoever on population. Studies by Delta, DU, USFW, and state agencies from Washington and Louisiana had the same null results.

Fact is, hunting is so low on the overall mortality percentages of the population it doesn't matter.

Though it is a warm fuzzy feeling holding a full strap of green, don't think you're some great conservationist doing your part.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 02:47 PM

^^^^Agreed^^^^

Another fact is that someone could post a strap full of green and someone is going to state that it isn't a valid picture... People will find a way to turn anything into a negative. I kill a lot of ducks. I give them a 200 acre marsh resting area that I never hunt. What I have noticed throughout my ~30 years of hunting is that to maintain duck numbers on your place, it is best to get in and get out. Don't drag out a hunt with shooting for 6 to 7 hours. Get done within the hour and then let the place rest all day. I never hunt in the evenings. Once I leave in the morning, I am done. I never hunt the same hole twice within two weeks. When we are within reach of our limit, I let big flocks go so that accidents don't happen.

It's annoying that someone plays the conservation card just because they see a dead hen. I don't like to shoot hens, but it happens.

Last fact.... If Creek complains about duck numbers, about 90% of people in north texas will complain about duck numbers. I honestly cannot remember a year that I ever complained about duck numbers. We put the work in and results are given.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueMoon

#shootforgreen

Memphis, Tennessee – October 15, 2015

DU NEWS FLASH – McDonald’s Hopes to Save Ducks with All Day Breakfast
Just in time for waterfowl season, McDonald’s locations across the nation will now serve the most popular breakfast items all day. While serving breakfast all day will slow down overall lunch and dinner service as bacon and burgers now compete for limited grill space after 10:30 am, the decision is considered a major win for waterfowl conservation.

DU has urged McDonald's for all day breakfast since data scientists first revealed some hunters chasing limits don’t think twice about sacrificing hens, and the future of waterfowling, if it means missing the chance to order an Egg McMuffin. In the 20th century McDonald’s was resistant to all day breakfast; concerned with a diminished customer experience as patrons will have to wait in line an extra minute or so for a Big Mac.

McDonald’s finally agreed to DU demands for all day breakfast after recent studies show the population under 30 in the 21st century is barely aware of the concept of time as they mindlessly live a virtual existence. DU pointed out to McDonald’s just as the call of the threatened Northern Bobwhite is rarely heard, fewer drivers now honk at motionless drivers the moment the light turns green at intersections and drivers waiting in the fast food lanes routinely allow large gaps to form in what were previously bumper to bumper lines.

In an effort to get the word out about all day breakfast to hen killers, McDonald’s and DU launched a Save Ducks digital marketing campaign targeting waterfowl hunters using migration and geospatial data to reach duck hunters in hot spots along the flyways. Conservation organizations will monitor waterfowl populations closely to determine if duck eggs will be saved now that chicken eggs are available for consumption all day at McDonald’s.

Blue Moon

You serious Clark?

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan1554
There is absolutely ZERO evidence that killing hens has any affect whatsoever on population. Studies by Delta, DU, USFW, and state agencies from Washington and Louisiana had the same null results.

Fact is, hunting is so low on the overall mortality percentages of the population it doesn't matter.

Though it is a warm fuzzy feeling holding a full strap of green, don't think you're some great conservationist doing your part.

I have heard the same but disagree. Just because there are no numbers does not make it correct or incorrect. It happens, hens get killed. For every hen killed, the reproductive abilities of that hen stop. Multiply that but the harvested hens and there is your number. It has an effect, we just don't know how much. It is the same thing with the native tribes in the north allowed to harvest ducks during the molting and eggs from the nests. All of it coupled together has an effect on the population.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 08:02 PM

This is a very good read.
http://www.wildfowlmag.com/waterfowl/dead-hens-dont-lay-eggs-should-hunters-shoot-females/

Long story short, hen killers are a drop in the bucket. But, a drop is a drop if ya wanna look at it that way.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 09:52 PM

Who cares about hen mallards. It's the most prevalent duck in North America. Just pull up on Sprig hens and Can hens. Btw they band hen mallards

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 09:58 PM

Just because some agency hasn't spent 100 million to tell me killing hens is good or bad doesn't mean you can't do some deductive reasoning. It's possible us hunters aren't their biggest predator or that the wetlands up north aren't more decisive on their survival but come on...use some common sense we can have an affect on things.

Also...killing a few hens under "it happens" is significantly different than killing as many hens as you have drakes (no I didn't count them, not worth my time...but looking at the board it's close). I'm glad you kill a lot of ducks but your on here thumping your chest about what a bad donkey duck hunter you were...I'm just pointing out straps like don't impress me. Bottomline is...there are limits, hunt with in them (I'm not assuming you're not).
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:05 PM

BarneyWho use to beat Judd over the head with dead hens when Judd was a rookie and would shoot them and water check them later.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:21 PM

That does it. I'm killing nothing but hens from now on and feeding them to Judd!!!!!!

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:35 PM

We don't shoot female squirrels in east Texas either
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
That does it. I'm killing nothing but hens from now on and feeding them to Judd!!!!!!

Please shot as many redhead hens as you can, they rob canvasback nests
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/03/15 10:50 PM

I shoot whatever flies in, ducks included.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 12:40 AM

#first6andhaulass
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
#first6andhaulass

Just 6? I hunt before and after lunch, 6 before and 6 after is the way we roll
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie

#shootforgreen

Gotta fill every hole on the board somehow when that's how success is defined

Yup- also proven hunting pressure- as measured by today's limits- doesn't really effect duck numbers. We try to shoot all green- but we do have a suzie casualty on occasion- when it's terribly slow or have guests that don't hunt much or don't care.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 02:42 PM

Just because some agency hasn't spent 100 million to tell me killing hens is good or bad doesn't mean you can't do some deductive reasoning. It's possible us hunters aren't their biggest predator or that the wetlands up north aren't more decisive on their survival but come on...use some common sense we can have an affect on things.

Also...killing a few hens under "it happens" is significantly different than killing as many hens as you have drakes (no I didn't count them, not worth my time...but looking at the board it's close). I'm glad you kill a lot of ducks but your on here thumping your chest about what a bad donkey duck hunter you were...I'm just pointing out straps like don't impress me. Bottomline is...there are limits, hunt with in them (I'm not assuming you're not).

Your not assuming that I am not hunting within my limits, but you've said this twice in this thread... There were eleven guys standing in the woods on this hunt in particular. The seven guys in that pic were our guests.

From what I have seen is that you thump your chest at anyone and everyone that posts pics on here. The point of this thread was to show duck hangers, the man asked to see pictures. Post one that you have for the guy, or do you not need one since you choose to go home empty handed all the time? Your standards are irrelevant and it's quite comical when you get worked up and bash people for shooting, like Jeff said, a hen of the most populated species of duck or bashing a newby for shooting some ringers.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 03:15 PM

Your not assuming that I am not hunting within my limits, but you've said this twice in this thread... There were eleven guys standing in the woods on this hunt in particular. The seven guys in that pic were our guests.

From what I have seen is that you thump your chest at anyone and everyone that posts pics on here. The point of this thread was to show duck hangers, the man asked to see pictures. Post one that you have for the guy, or do you not need one since you choose to go home empty handed all the time? Your standards are irrelevant and it's quite comical when you get worked up and bash people for shooting, like Jeff said, a hen of the most populated species of duck or bashing a newby for shooting some ringers.

I said it because I didn't want you to think I was accusing you of doing anything unlawful and you getting all butt hurt...looks like I succeeded on the first but not so much on the second rofl

I don't have to post pictures to validate my existance...I also don't have to kill limits and brag about them to validate my self worth wink I hunt for my dog and to hang out with buddies...if something happened to her and I didn't plan to replace her then I'd probably just hang it up.

Good luck and full straps to ya up

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 03:22 PM

I said it because I didn't want you to think I was accusing you of doing anything unlawful and you getting all butt hurt...looks like I succeeded on the first but not so much on the second rofl

I don't have to post pictures to validate my existance...I also don't have to kill limits and brag about them to validate my self worth wink I hunt for my dog and to hang out with buddies...if something happened to her and I didn't plan to replace her then I'd probably just hang it up.

Good luck and full straps to ya up

so is the majority of your money tied up in Jiffy or Peter Pan stock?

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 03:25 PM

#peanutbutterjudd

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 04:42 PM

That escalated quickly..

Gonna have to side with creek on this one.. he's not breaking any laws, just trying to get his clients/customers/guests (whatever they are?) a successful hunt. Not sure why anyone would wanna bash him for that? confused2 I don't trust the man who denies shooting hens.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 05:18 PM

"Does anyone have any pictures of duck hangers they would like to share"? I was kind of looking forward to some new ideas on the subject.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 05:20 PM

boards with nails and boards with holes is about as innovative as its gonna get

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 05:31 PM

Yep, it's not rocket surgery

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 05:32 PM

Yep, it's not brain science
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 05:40 PM

Should of said "New Ideas"

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/04/15 06:23 PM

Anybody who thinks judy was serious in his 1st post is taking the internet too seriously.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/05/15 12:44 AM

Wow, you guys really steered that one off topic. I would like to comment on the hen killing debate. Given the chance I will always kill a drake before I kill a hen. If I know it will be a barn burner, I'll let hens go. If it's just a typical day of duck hunting, I'm killing the first 6 legal birds that get within range.

As for the conservation aspect - explain to me why the snow goose population grows every year? You can't distinguish a male from a female in the air and most still can't once they are on the ground. I'm not a proponent of shooting hens, just making a point for those that are holier than thou.

Now, back to the duck hanger. I appreciate all the fantastic ideas that have been put forward. I'll post a picture of the finished product.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/05/15 08:37 PM

G...it's Jiffy smooth...chunky can get a bit "rough" if you know what I mean. You jackass grin
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/06/15 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
Yep, it's not rocket surgery

Originally Posted By: garrett
Yep, it's not brain science

Lol
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/06/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Who cares about hen mallards. It's the most prevalent duck in North America. Just pull up on Sprig hens and Can hens. Btw they band hen mallards

It never has made sense. Why a 2 hen limit and 5 total limit for the most prevalent duck? Why not a 1 hen or no hen limit on Cans and Sprigs?

Same limit for Can hens as Mallard hens when there are only 700,000 Cans vs 10 million Mallards?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/07/15 01:03 AM

My preference are all drakes, I'm 88% drakes first split, but when times are tough, hens will die... I will line 2 mallard hens up on the water and skillet shoot them with one shot. Then I shoot their boy friends when they fly off.
Posted By: AndrewMac

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/07/15 05:35 PM

Hunt91- Here are some pictures of what we did. Put two nails about finger width apart on the boards to hang the birds by their neck, or feet if you can get them to stay!

It's unfortunate to see the man ask for some pictures so he can get some ideas for what he wants to do, and then it turns into 3 pages of BS of off topic material.

Re: Duck Hangers - 12/08/15 04:31 AM

Thanks Andrew. I ended up doing something similar to your design, just took it a step further. It is going through the fab shop now, hope to have it finished by next week!

Re: Duck Hangers - 01/27/16 07:30 PM

Here was the final product of my idea. I wanted something a little nicer looking than what I had seen so I had this custom build by a welding shop down the street. Turned out fantastic.

And yes, we have put it to good use already.

Re: Duck Hangers - 01/28/16 05:03 PM

Looks good!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum