Texas Hunting Forum

New wader suggestions?

Posted By: coachmas

New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 07:23 PM

I've been using redhead extreme neoprene waders for the 10 or so years. Don't have really any complaints, they are plenty warm ( too warm for east Texas most of the year) and BPS has exchanged them twice for leaking seams. I'm looking for a change and wanted some real field experience with any of the following pairs of waders.

Banded Redzone
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-BGR418

Drake eqwader 2.0 mst
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DRW8311

Game winner hybrid
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-win...ldCatid=1134362

Price not a determining factor. Durability in the field, comfort, longevity over several seasons.

Thanks Coach
Posted By: texassippi

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 07:53 PM

I love the Mack's PW Big Ditch. I have no complaints on them.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW214
Posted By: jcarroll3

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:00 PM

Have you ever looked at/considered Gator Waders?

I am actually best friends/roomates with the owner. Started out as a small company here out of Tyler, Texas and has quickly grown into a pretty large company. Used to only make waders to ride ATV's in but now have full hunting series waders. Their waders fit much better than some of the others, have a fold out waterproof cell phone pocket,the zip in the front for easy access, etc..I promise you wont be dissapointed with them.

website is www.gatorwaders.com . i can probably get you a discount too, just let me know.
Posted By: Blue drake

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:10 PM

I have the drake mst waders. Got them last year and have no complaints. A few things that make them better are the flexible knees, the pockets, and the gstirs over the boots. They do run a little big on boot size. I bought mine in January for 150 at Macks PW. Better than that 350 dollar price tag!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:15 PM

GW has a pair of Hybrid 800s at academy for $150... sweet waders

I got the $100 pair of 400s in MO breakup.. and have a pair of the McMullins brown waders that's going on 3 years now for $80
Posted By: Navasot

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:15 PM

Oh you already saw them... I want those hybrids lol may have to go get a pair
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

I got the $100 pair of 400s in MO breakup.. and have a pair of the McMullins brown waders that's going on 3 years now for $80

I have found that if used enough, they all leak, therefore, I buy my waders like I buy my beer..... Whatever is on sale! The GW waders for $150 is what I have been using. I typically go through 2, sometimes 3, pairs per year. Doesn't matter if they are Drake, Lacrosse, Red Head, or MPW. Maybe I should be easier on them I guess.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Glad to hear yours have worked out okay. My brother bought a pair of the GW Hybrids last year that leaked terribly. He returned them and the second pair leaked exactly the same way.

Not saying all Game Winners are bad. I've got a pair of the cheapest ones money can buy (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-mens-neoprene-boot-foot-waders?repChildCatid=868697) and I haven't had a problem in three seasons. Well, other than that time I got in a fight with some barbed wire...
Posted By: sallysue

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 11:11 PM

Dryplus waders
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jcarroll3

I am actually best friends/roomates with the owner. Started out as a small company here out of Tyler, Texas and has quickly grown into a pretty large company. Used to only make waders to ride ATV's in but now have full hunting series waders. Their waders fit much better than some of the others, have a fold out waterproof cell phone pocket,the zip in the front for easy access, etc..I promise you wont be dissapointed with them.

website is www.gatorwaders.com . i can probably get you a discount too, just let me know.

I've been intrigued by this company's waders. I might really look into them soon, as I am thinking about getting some camo waders.

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/25/15 11:23 PM

I would like to see some in person as well.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
Dryplus waders

Just got the cabellas new TALL dry plus breathe able waders and fit great. I have the old style of the breathes led and are a bit to short!! Glad they came out with the tall.
Posted By: cheasapeake

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 01:31 AM

x2 on cabelas, always good clothing and other stuff
Posted By: Duke4456

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 01:45 AM

Three things guaranteed in life death taxes and holes in your waders so might as well but the cheap ones.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 03:28 AM

Don't know which waders to tell you to buy. I can say this, don't buy used waders from LSU.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 05:34 AM

The best thing about academy gw waders, if 4 years from now you tear a hole in them on barbed wire they'll let you take them back and exchange them with no box or reciept. I had a pair over 5 years old that started leaking and they returned them no questions asked. I've exchanged a couple other pairs also not as old that I ripped or that started leaking with no problems as well.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 06:54 AM

I like my gw hybrid waders other than they leak through the seams. Not bad, but enough to be annoyed by it.

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

I've been intrigued by this company's waders. I might really look into them soon, as I am thinking about getting some camo waders.

I am telling y'all, in my life I've owned from Drake to MacksPW and in between and nothing competes with Gator Waders. I'm not just telling you that because I'm best friends with the owner , it's because it's the truth. You have to realize that in the beginning the company started up as an ATV wader company, so they have to be incredibly durable because they put them through Hek . That same durability has switched over to the hunting series . The hunting series has been a huge hit, and if you watch many hunting shows, shore boys outdoors, Dr. Duck, as well as others wear Gator Waders.

There are also jackets, and stuff of all sorts . I'm actually in the test phase of three new hunting style jackets that haven't been released yet that he gave me to give em hell and see if I can find a weak point in them, or find something I don't like . Top shelf products for sure . Plus it never hurts to support the small companies based out of the good ole state of Texas .

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

I am telling y'all, in my life I've owned from Drake to MacksPW and in between and nothing competes with Gator Waders. I'm not just telling you that because I'm best friends with the owner , it's because it's the truth. You have to realize that in the beginning the company started up as an ATV wader company, so they have to be incredibly durable because they put them through Hek . That same durability has switched over to the hunting series . The hunting series has been a huge hit, and if you watch many hunting shows, shore boys outdoors, Dr. Duck, as well as others wear Gator Waders.

There are also jackets, and stuff of all sorts . I'm actually in the test phase of three new hunting style jackets that haven't been released yet that he gave me to give em hell and see if I can find a weak point in them, or find something I don't like . Top shelf products for sure . Plus it never hurts to support the small companies based out of the good ole state of Texas .

Also here is a video of the new series of ATV riding waders, just to show you the innovation that goes into these things . I'm telling you, top shelf . Any of you guys with questions feel free to ask! The hunting series have shotgun shell holders, and stuff as well .

http://youtu.be/Bn9mqkK5FuE

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 02:43 PM

Sent you another PM. Thanks jcarroll3
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/26/15 04:34 PM

These are the ones I have. They're currently on sale for $139 http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-waders/men-s-hunting-waders|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103895280/ducks-unlimited-men-s-pro-waders/1833631.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Hunting-Waders%2F103895280.uts . So far I don't really have any complaints.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/28/15 02:55 AM

Do they have any without the fluorescent colors on them? Serious question. Post link
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/28/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Do they have any without the fluorescent colors on them? Serious question. Post link

lol I was wondering the same.

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/28/15 12:37 PM

Yes. Gotta dig on the website but they do have camo no bright colors. I'm gonna check some out in person soon.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/28/15 01:35 PM

Those gator waders seem to be made for and marketed towards topwaters. They may be great quality for all I know, but boy does that lime green scream Barney.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/29/15 03:59 AM

I'd say just get a good pair...don't cheap out. I've had great luck with LaCrosse waders over the years as well as Cabelas brand waders. I'm interested in trying Drake Eqwaders next time. I'd stay away from GW or anything on the cheaper side.
Posted By: WEEKday warrior

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/29/15 05:02 PM

Depends on how tough you are on them. I have buddies who can't get 30 hunts out of any wadeer you throw at them. I can usually get 3 seasons out of neoprene (rarely wear them) 2 1/2 outta hybrids. Lacrosse or Hodgeman at academy on their camouflage sale is a deal you can't beat. Game Winner tredlite hybrids,for the money, are unbeatable south of the Red River. Yes you get what you pay for but we're all one rip or prick away from wader shopping... even if we have $400 invested in them.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/30/15 12:08 AM

I know you're looking at camo neoprene waders, but I've been wearing my fishing waders this year and I don't know if I'll be going back to neos. If you walk-in much, a lace-up boot and breathables make an incredible difference.

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/30/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Yes, the Shield series are straight hunting waders. a much more durable material than your regular neoprene waders.

Here are just some pictures.

and here is the link,

http://www.gatorwaders.com/store/shield-series/
Posted By: hunt91

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/30/15 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: texassippi
I love the Mack's PW Big Ditch. I have no complaints on them.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW214

Another vote for the MPW waders.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: New wader suggestions? - 11/30/15 06:59 AM

Last few years, I've been eating so much during the holidays that I've gained enough weight that I haven't needed waders. Boots and socks, ammo belt, camo face paint, and I'm ready to hit the blind. Only downside is my huntin buds all of a sudden quit hunting so I'm having to hunt solo 99.9% of the time.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum