Texas Hunting Forum

Newbie weather question

Posted By: GoBears870

Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:08 PM

I've been getting into duck hunting more and more over the past 2-3 years but have basically only gone when my schedule has allowed, meaning I haven't really been able to pick and choose hunting days based on weather. That being said, I'll be with family near a large reservoir most of this week and will be able to get out a bit. With the big weather system moving in Thursday, I'm trying to see which days set up best for bird movement on a big body of water. What of these days in the forecast look the most promising to you?

Friday
The front arrives. High of 67 reached in the morning, cooling to 50 in the afternoon. Wind shifts from SE at 12 mph in morning to NW at 10 mph in afternoon. Rain chances 50% in the morning increases to 100% in afternoon.

Saturday
100% chance of rain all day. Temperature hovers around 50 all day. Sustained N wind 8-10 mph.

Sunday
60% chance of rain in the morning. Low in the high-40s warms up to mid-50s. N wind 8-10 mph dissipates in the afternoon.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:10 PM

All of them... Don't be a fair weather hunter and go enjoy the outdoors! You just never know...
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:10 PM

Hunt every day you can IMO
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:12 PM

There's a million opinions on ducks and weather, if it was me I'd just hunt everyday

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:14 PM

If it was totally up to me I would be out every day, too! But I won't be able to get away with that during the holidays.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:15 PM

if you had to pick one day I would pick Friday morning...migrators moon and a north wind up
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:19 PM

Like everybody else, I say hunt every day. But, if you want a guess, I'd say Saturday would be best with the new N. wind in place.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:52 PM

Monday morning bolt

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/24/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Monday morning bolt

Nice.
Posted By: shalor

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 12:50 AM

I am not sure how well the ducks are going to fly on Friday and Saturday with the amount of rain we have forecast… My bet is on Sunday when the rain is supposed to stop in my area anyways, central Texas.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: shalor
I am not sure how well the ducks are going to fly on Friday and Saturday with the amount of rain we have forecast… My bet is on Sunday when the rain is supposed to stop in my area anyways, central Texas.

Same. It is supposed to rain Thursday-Sunday. With Sunday being the "lightest." I have hunted Mon, Tues and will hunt tomorrow and hopefully Thursday just in case of the rain that is expected on Friday and Saturday. Plan to hunt Sunday. But all that may change, it's always changing.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 04:45 AM

Too much rain or wind typically keeps them hunkered down. I would think Friday and Sunday would be best if talking about weekend.

4-5 inches of possible rain totals in North Texas is a tird floater

More I type, more I am thinking Sunday- but looks like wind or lack of wind may be probable- pull out all the motion if that's the case
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
All of them... Don't be a fair weather hunter and go enjoy the outdoors! You just never know...

^^This. How often are weather forecasts that accurate??? Some of you put more stock in the weather man than I do roflmao

Yes birds tend to sit in driving rains but if you have the option of being in a covered blind, I certainly would go out. You just never know and its better than sleeping in and wondering.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 01:55 PM

i am of the same opinion as beaver. I am not nearly as mad at the ducks as I used to be. Life is too short to duck hunt in the rain. I like blue bird days with a cold north 10 mph wind. You can hunt all day long. I have the opposite opinion of a lot of people about ducks and bad weather. I find they will sit still in really bad weather. I have had my best shoots on blue bird days.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 02:10 PM

Apparently it rained last night and has been sprinkling off and on this morning. Birds are scarce.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/25/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Monday morning bolt

Public should be wide open

Re: Newbie weather question - 11/28/15 07:50 PM

Well we made it out Friday morning only. Damp and warm with a S wind when we started, front arrived with rain and N wind around 8:00. Saw a ton of woodies at LST but only got a few passing shots. A few good groups of gadwalls and mallards showed up after the wind shifted. Only knocked down 3 but it was great being out there, seeing birds, and watching the weather. This morning it was too windy to safely cross the lake.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum