Texas Hunting Forum

Proper way to hand out bands...

Posted By: Creek2Creek

Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:17 AM

I am not the type of guy to say, "I got that one." Growing up, it was always a rule with dad and grandpa that the band stayed with the dog. I have 9, dad has at least a dozen, and grandpa has a lanyard full. I got a cousin that has zero, and been thinking no matter what, he gets the next. Gonna do that regardless, but what rule do you guys have moving forward. Not talking about obvious kills, but on retrieves when multiples are belly up, how do u distinguish who goes home with it? I see when I hit a bird, but I don't follow it to the water. That's the dogs job while I kill another. Lol
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:27 AM

We typically know who shoots what.

Either way I own the dogs. wink
Posted By: Guy

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:35 AM

Rock, paper, scissor...
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:01 AM

Opening weekend we had a group of Pintail come in right after legal, we shot 5 between 3 of us. My dog gathered all the birds and they were all mixed up by the time I noticed the band. We figured the only way to decide was to draw straws, or mangrove stems. Unfortunately I didn't win. I've read the stories on here about guys claiming bands because it was "their boat" or whatever other reasons and I didn't want to be that guy. If it's clear who shot it, the shooter should always get it, no matter what. If it's a group then I say pick a fair way to decide. Rock paper scissors, draw straws ect.
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:17 AM

If its known who shot it they get it of course. If its not known, anyone that might have killed it but hasn't gotten one yet gets it. If its not known, and everyone that might have shot it already has a band then they draw straws.
Posted By: duckiller

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:52 AM

Draw straws!
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 11:42 AM

If I shoot it, no way am I giving it to a dam dog that's for sure. If I have no idea if I killed it or not, I don't want the band. Never understood why a guy would keep a band that he didn't even kill.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 12:40 PM

Stay with the dog means it goes to the dogs owner... Lol
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 12:53 PM

I'm with 8point. I only want a band from a bird that I know I killed.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 01:13 PM

Flip a coin if it is just 2 people that think they killed it or if it is more than 2 people, put shotgun shells in a hat and either put a different color shell in or mark one with a sharpie or pen and whoever draws the odd shell gets the band.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 01:22 PM

Guiding early on, I shot a many a banded bird and had to pass it over to the client. I can't stand guiding, don't want to do it, never ever again. I still help out my guide friends when they get very busy and ask for help. It takes me right back to that place and I don't like it. I know which birds are shot by me. We call it as they lay on the water. So when it comes back each person will know who shot what. If it is on my bird, my band. If it is on another person's bird, their band. If all else fails, I got the keys to the boat or the truck in my pocket, swim your arse back to the docks and walk home from thereconfused2
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:14 PM

It is true that we know when we killed a duck. It is not true that we know that nobody else did. If there is one shot, one kill, we know who killed the band. If there are two shots, two kills, and the band is discovered on the retrieve, we know who killed the band. We have all been in a situation where there are two hunters, two birds come in, and both shooters "double". Often, more than one shooter kills the same bird. Many times simultaneously.

Keeping the band because you own the dog or the boat makes you a band hog.

Originally Posted By: Toledo
If its known who shot it they get it of course. If its not known, anyone that might have killed it but hasn't gotten one yet gets it. If its not known, and everyone that might have shot it already has a band then they draw straws.

Toledo's solution seems the fairest.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
It is true that we know when we killed a duck. It is not true that we know that nobody else did. If there is one shot, one kill, we know who killed the band. If there are two shots, two kills, and the band is discovered on the retrieve, we know who killed the band. We have all been in a situation where there are two hunters, two birds come in, and both shooters "double". Often, more than one shooter kills the same bird. Many times simultaneously.

That is why we establish who got what before we release the hound.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

That is why we establish who got what before we release the hound.

I agree with this. Like I said, I was not talking about obvious kills. Looking to far into it. I would like to use Wal's solution one time and tell someone in the group that they have to swim back!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:31 PM

cant eat the band, boys

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
cant eat the band, boys

You ain't hard core if you don't wolf one down!

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:44 PM

hardcore is having a lanyard full of em up

plus wolfing it down would be the easiest part of the whole process

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:51 PM

I don;t get the draw straws thingy or the "Who killed that bird" theory. How do you not know who shot what? I can't tell you what I shot without question. If you are having to decide who got what, technically you could be illegal so far as your strap of birds. You are not allowed to give birds away in the field. Yall are a bunch of dern lawless wildmen.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 02:55 PM

I wonder how many texas boys have a lanyard full. The only lanyards I've seen in texas with more than mine is my dad and grandpa. Dad is 54 and grandpa is 81. I got a lot of years to be hard core if that is the case.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
I wonder how many texas boys have a lanyard full. The only lanyards I've seen in texas with more than mine is my dad and grandpa. Dad is 54 and grandpa is 81. I got a lot of years to be hard core if that is the case.

Willing to bet brazosboyt will hold his own with anybody on bands. He can teach a class on bands, collars, tracking chips etc..

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt

Never have understood wearing them on a lanyard. Guess it makes you look "legit". They make a good trophy room decoration and conversation piece.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:18 PM

a creek2creek vs brazos thread is going to be needed in the near future
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:21 PM

If I knew I shot the bird that's cool if not I don't care who gets it.. its just a band
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:24 PM

Last shot on the bird gets the band. This is the reason I give even dead birds the ol' double tap.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

Willing to bet brazosboyt will hold his own with anybody on bands. He can teach a class on bands, collars, tracking chips etc..

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt

Never have understood wearing them on a lanyard. Guess it makes you look "legit". They make a good trophy room decoration and conversation piece.

He's got me beat by a long shot.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 03:55 PM

I don;t get the draw straws thingy or the "Who killed that bird" theory. How do you not know who shot what? I can't tell you what I shot without question. If you are having to decide who got what, technically you could be illegal so far as your strap of birds. You are not allowed to give birds away in the field. Yall are a bunch of dern lawless wildmen.

Yea but the problem with that is when someone else swears they shot the bird after they find out it is banded. I am not gonna get in a pissing match over a band so I just tell whoever else thinks they hit it we can flip for it or draw straws. It has happened to me twice where someone else claimed the bird I killed after they found out it had a band. Luckily justice prevailed and I won both in a coin toss.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul

Yea but the problem with that is when someone else swears they shot the bird after they find out it is banded. I am not gonna get in a pissing match over a band so I just tell whoever else thinks they hit it we can flip for it or draw straws. It has happened to me twice where someone else claimed the bird I killed after they found out it had a band. Luckily justice prevailed and I won both in a coin toss.

I know guys that will claim every bird even if it's not banded. One tried to claim my mallard the other day and he didn't even shoot.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

I know guys that will claim every bird even if it's not banded. One tried to claim my mallard the other day and he didn't even shoot.

Was he being serious or joking?
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 05:53 PM

I remember this year we shot a bunch of teal and we never noticed until we got back to camp. I noticed one bird with a band but others still wanted to draw straws.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 06:31 PM

I can see only one way to to solve such a problem. A true TEXAS size problem solver.

Everybody drops they draws and biggest decoy wins the metal. Some of you's may never get a band!.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Was he being serious or joking?

He was dead serious until I called him out then he said "dang I was hoping you didn't notice."

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
I can see only one way to to solve such a problem. A true TEXAS size problem solver.

Everybody drops they draws and biggest decoy wins the metal. Some of you's may never get a band!.

except you play kinda like Cinderella right? Whoever the band fits. Is that why you have so many on your lanyard?

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 07:11 PM

except you play kinda like Cinderella right? Whoever the band fits. Is that why you have so many on your lanyard?

Pow duel
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 07:35 PM

I never understood the whole worshiping of a little piece of aluminum, can't eat it, it isn't a mark of a good Hunter, it is simply luck. I gave away a brewers last yr to a taxidermist in Utah, I have the memory.

I'll mail someone the 2 I have, never called them in.
Posted By: bhunter

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 07:37 PM

I always let the others have them, there is no cash in that scrap metal.....
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 07:51 PM

My group avoids shooting bands so that we don't have any problems.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 07:55 PM

I agree. Who gives a flying duck crap about a band? I'm guessing you probably worry about how much lift your neighbor's son has on his F-350 too?

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
I agree. Who gives a flying duck crap about a band? I'm guessing you probably worry about how much lift your neighbor's son has on his F-350 too?

Me... I still get excited when I see one, even when it isn't mine. And I don't have neighbors. lol

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

Me... I still get excited when I see one, even when it isn't mine.

X2, doesn't matter who kills it.
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bhunter
, there is no cash in that scrap metal.....

Sometimes there is.

Posted By: texassippi

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bhunter
, there is no cash in that scrap metal.....

Sometimes there is.

That's pretty cool.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/24/15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
My group avoids shooting bands so that we don't have any problems.

Good call. If you can't identify the species + band status in the air then don't call yourself a duck hunter. up

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 01:43 AM

Naw they wouldn't fit. But I've conjured up the thought of using them for decorative piercing.

For those of you who seem to not think much about bands.....do you have any duck mounts you display?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 01:52 AM

I think bands are great if you have a young person/kid in the blind hunting. Great keepsake and probably something they will always remember.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 02:02 AM

To me, a band is like that buck with a drop tine. Something special. If we aren't going for something special, we are wasting our time. Something got them hooked. heck, if it don't excite ya, maybe ur just a birder. That's fine too
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
I think bands are great if you have a young person/kid in the blind hunting. Great keepsake and probably something they will always remember.

X2 I've had the good luck to kill 4 bands in the last 8 years(only one in TX). I have none of them. The first time hunters or kids have them and I'm not telling them they didn't shoot them..smiles and a new Hunter for life mean more then those bands ever will.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 06:49 AM

To me, a band is like that buck with a drop tine. Something special. If we aren't going for something special, we are wasting our time. Something got them hooked. heck, if it don't excite ya, maybe ur just a birder. That's fine too

Funny, I thought the special was spending times with the kids and good friends. Every hunt is special if you're in the right company, heck, even the solo hunts were special to me. I guess your idea of country music is Sam Hunt.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 12:47 PM

I saw someone post on here once about being a guide that the band belonged to him......Try me my friend lol

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Deputy T
I saw someone post on here once about being a guide that the band belonged to him......Try me my friend lol

I have heard of guides doing that. That would never fly in our camp.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 02:13 PM

Started taking a newbie that works for me duck hunting. 1st year (w/my 1 year old pup) I shot a greenhead that sailed over the river channel we were hunting. Got my pup to get over to the other bank but couldn't get him to go the 100+ yards where the bird landed. Youngun went and got his kayak, paddled over and found the bird. I heard him holler once when he found it and shortly after heard him yell again. I figured he saw a band and sure enough he did. He gets the band, no ifs, ands or buts about it. The bird wouldn't have been recovered otherwise.
40+ years of waterfowling and I've yet to get a band.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: David Maas

Funny, I thought the special was spending times with the kids and good friends. Every hunt is special if you're in the right company, heck, even the solo hunts were special to me. I guess your idea of country music is Sam Hunt.

You are looking too far into it fella. I'd chase these birds every day of the season if I could, with or without any kills. Nice try though and I don't even know who Sam Hunt is.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 03:49 PM

I would say 99% of the time we know who shot each duck. I have seen where my husband and son pulled the trigger at the exact same time. It sounds like one shot instead of two, and both were surprised the other had even taken a shot. Both are excellent shots, and they would have to be using different size ammo to ever know who's duck it really was. There is never a argument, they laugh about it, and it goes to whoever has less ducks between them.
I've never understood the my dog, my boat, or my spot/lease is who gets the bands, or best ducks.
We invite friends to hunt with us, because we enjoy their company.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/25/15 04:04 PM

I had to google Sam Hunt. I don't like that crap because it reminds me of rap. So lets just call it crap short for Country rap.

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/26/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: David Maas

Special to me is being "ready" 30 minutes before shooting time, drinking coffee with any one of my 3 sons. looking up at the stars with a crisp chill tugging at me. And hoping my waders don't spring a leak. But, I will readily admit if two drakes came looking for company, and I see's a band on one....I, like you and 100% of every honest duck hunter, is shooting the banded bird.

BTW, I like Strait, Jones, and Haggerd.... and and been known to listen to some Skynard.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/26/15 05:00 PM

Special to me is being "ready" 30 minutes before shooting time, drinking coffee with any one of my 3 sons. looking up at the stars with a crisp chill tugging at me. And hoping my waders don't spring a leak. But, I will readily admit if two drakes came looking for company, and I see's a band on one....I, like you and 100% of every honest duck hunter, is shooting the banded bird.

BTW, I like Strait, Jones, and Haggerd.... and and been known to listen to some Skynard.

I completely agree.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Proper way to hand out bands... - 11/26/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Last shot on the bird gets the band. This is the reason I give even dead birds the ol' double tap.

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum