Texas Hunting Forum

A Couple Questions

Posted By: ntxaviator

A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:05 AM

Alright Fellers,
I am seeking everybody's opinion or maybe past experience on a couple matters. First, has anybody ever had any success or failure using a wood duck call? The cove we have been hunting has produced at least a few woodies every time we have gone. There seems to be a good amount of woodies in the area and I would like the increase our odds if it would be worth the time or money. I have been told by some that the birds are not very responsive to the calls, others have told me that they work just fine.
Second, this may seem ridiculous but has anybody ever used mojo dove in their spread? Due to current circumstances, I do not have my mojo duck but I do happen to have a couple dove. We always work a jerk string but I have heard of some people using dove in their spread. Would I be wasting my time by trying? I look forward to everybody's feedback and overly sarcastic advice. Thanks.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:18 AM

I've never even tried to call a woody and typically don't shoot at them cause they are everywhere at lst. I let them go and work the flocks for our first shots. I do know guys up north that call them and the key is to use a loafing call, not the sound we always hear in flight. Their loafing call is a strung out popping sound sorta, which I'm sure your aware of.

Seen someone on here with mojo dove pics in background behind a pile of ducks. Couldn't hurt I don't guess. I really like the lucky duck rapid flyers. If u have to replace, try those. It is a wing beat, not a spin and really help in thick marsh and woods, even on overcast days.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:24 AM

Dove mojos work great during teal season but we do not use them after teal season.

As for the woodies, the only one I've ever seen around here was on a pond in town.

I heard grebes come into the mojos pretty good.... bolt
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:30 AM

I use a dove mojo in my spread for teal and big ducks. I think they just see the flashing not so much the species of the mojo.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I use a dove mojo in my spread for teal and big ducks. I think they just see the flashing not so much the species of the mojo.

That's where I seen it. Glad u saw and could answer.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Dove mojos work great during teal season but we do not use them after teal season.

As for the woodies, the only one I've ever seen around here was on a pond in town.

I heard grebes come into the mojos pretty good.... bolt

Your crazy... Lol. Here we go! roflmao
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 12:45 AM

Are you sure they are woodies?
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 04:02 PM

RIP Gary
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 04:43 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 05:33 PM

Growing up we shot a lot of wood ducks and I personally do not believe you will have success calling them in or getting them to decoy.

For the Mojo question, what you are looking for is to get attention and I think your better bet is the jerk string, but don't do it when they are looking at you. They'll pinpoint you pretty quickly.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 05:36 PM

PS...If you don't follow the sarcasm of others comments concerning the Grebe, species identification, or why your other posts were removed, you might PM someone to get more insight that can be very helpful in your future endeavors. Best of Luck.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns
PS...If you don't follow the sarcasm of others comments concerning the Grebe, species identification, or why your other posts were removed, you might PM someone to get more insight that can be very helpful in your future endeavors. Best of Luck.

I missed the good stuff. What happened???

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ZachW

I missed the good stuff. What happened???

I don't think I'll further incriminate the fella
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 06:04 PM

Never had success calling woodies. We typically set up a pair of dekes early on. They either work into edge of spread or just fly by waving goodbye- shooting back their middle finger
Posted By: zbot11

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 06:08 PM

I don't think I'll further incriminate the fella

That's fair enough.

Now, to be helpful. I use a dove mojo pretty often. I can't tell that it has too much effect, but doesn't seem to hurt. I've definitely never had them set down on top of it like they will a full-size mojo.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 07:34 PM

Mojo dove work. I use older batteries cause with new ones they spin way too fast. I also put a row of blue masking tape on the white part of the wings
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 07:51 PM

Mojo Grebe FTW

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/24/15 09:01 PM

yeah I got the Grebe (coot) comments and they are much appreciated. I'm glad to know that all these guys wait till an hour after LST until they shoot so they can identify their birds better. It gives me hope for the future of duck hunting

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: ntxaviator

yeah I got the Grebe (coot) comments and they are much appreciated. I'm glad to know that all these guys wait till an hour after LST until they shoot so they can identify their birds better. It gives me hope for the future of duck hunting

So now it's a legal shooting time problem?
You said before that the "coot" was accidentally shot.
It now seems that you shot it on purpose but it was just too dark for you to tell what it was. Maybe you actually thought it was a duck.
I don't care how "dark" it is. A grebe looks nothing like a coot and a coot looks nothing like a duck.

You should know what you are shooting, period. If you don't know what a bird is, don't shoot. It's that simple.
If you have to wait for more light in order to know what you are shooting then it's probably a good idea to wait.
Everyone is so intent on "getting a limit" these days that they just have to shoot when a bird is there. So scared they might not see another bird and miss out on the street cred.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

It now seems that you shot it on purpose but it was just too dark for you to tell what it was. Maybe you actually thought it was a duck.
I don't care how "dark" it is. A grebe looks nothing like a coot and a coot looks nothing like a duck.

You should know what you are shooting, period. If you don't know what a bird is, don't shoot. It's that simple.
If you have to wait for more light in order to know what you are shooting then it's probably a good idea to wait.
Everyone is so intent on "getting a limit" these days that they just have to shoot when a bird is there. So scared they might not see another bird and miss out on the street cred.

No, there's no problem with LST, it was all hunter error. The original intent of this thread was me seeking advice and answers to a few questions that I figured y'all might have, not to be bashed on the internet. I care nothing about street cred, I'm just trying to enjoy duck hunting, I'm not going to let people trash talking behind their computer screens get in the way of that. I apologize to anybody I may have offended. Again, I appreciate the feedback.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Mojo dove work. I use older batteries cause with new ones they spin way too fast. I also put a row of blue masking tape on the white part of the wings

They typically don't flare birds either- we have set them up 50-200 yards from spread to get their attn. Blue painters tape good idea
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 05:49 PM

Shoot Sniper-John a PM. I believe he has a spot or two just for woodies.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 07:44 PM

I use a mojo dove on occasion depending on the situation. I just got a mojo teal last night and used it this morning.
I think it fits in and looks better. Seemed to pull in a ton of dove.

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

We should work out some kind of deal. You spring for the new batteries and when I am done with them I will send them to you. I like mine with fresh batteries.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: A Couple Questions - 11/25/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

No, there's no problem with LST, it was all hunter error. The original intent of this thread was me seeking advice and answers to a few questions that I figured y'all might have, not to be bashed on the internet. I care nothing about street cred, I'm just trying to enjoy duck hunting, I'm not going to let people trash talking behind their computer screens get in the way of that. I apologize to anybody I may have offended. Again, I appreciate the feedback.
We dont get to shoot anything all week so some of us choose to shoot at each other on the forum. Get a bigger gun and get into the shoot out!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum