Texas Hunting Forum

I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded!

Posted By: WEEKday warrior

I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/22/15 10:57 PM

Shot this little beauty in Rockport yesterday. Redhead hen banded the second time 2009 in Saskatchewan. Hatched some time before 2008. The original band was unreadable. USGS says that redhead bands will usually wear down to unreadable on redheads in 8 to 10 years. Guessing this ol girl was at least 16 years old.

Posted By: JRR

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/22/15 11:11 PM

we shot a double banded drake mallard in Oklahoma last week from Alberta and they said over 10 yrs old
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/22/15 11:26 PM

Very Kool!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/22/15 11:30 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 12:10 AM

Awesome!!!
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 12:13 AM

Congrats! cheers

I'll get a band one of these day....
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 12:29 AM

How'd I know it was going to be a redhead hen?
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 02:16 AM

Nice congrats
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 03:59 AM

did you ask about sending the old band in for acid etching?
Posted By: Guy

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 01:01 PM

Cool.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 02:25 PM

Very cool
Posted By: Toledo

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 02:31 PM

Is one band alum and the other steel? They were double banding divers a few years back with both metals to study the wear rate between the two. Its my understanding that when a banded bird is caught again they record the info, pull the old band, and put a new one on.
Posted By: WEEKday warrior

Re: I don't always shoot hens... but when I do they're double banded! - 11/23/15 03:45 PM

You mean I may have been living a lie the last 48 hours? That makes sense but I guess I was a little to excited to think of other options. Was thinking about sending off for acid etching. Can probably hit it with a refrigerator magnet first to rule that out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum