Texas Hunting Forum

Tide levels this year

Posted By: Fishuhalik

Tide levels this year - 11/16/15 09:00 PM

Can someone explain to this poor Midwestern boy why tide levels are so much higher this year than last? I understand the moon effects tides, but areas that were dry-mid shin deep last year are up to my hips this year. I always thought bay depths were real consistent year to year
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Tide levels this year - 11/16/15 09:03 PM

I think it's just all the rain we've had this year. I know the lakes and rivers are still high so that water has to go somewhere... It's driving me crazy because the spot I hunt on the bay has been so high I have no shoreline to even hunt...
Posted By: oilag

Re: Tide levels this year - 11/16/15 09:21 PM

Also lack of strong/consistent N. wind will keep the level higher. A good strong north wind will push a bunch of water out of the bays.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Tide levels this year - 11/16/15 09:36 PM

It's Global Warming. Oh wait, I meant Climate Change. Oh wait. I meant the New Ice Age.

Somebody call Al.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Tide levels this year - 11/17/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: oilag
Also lack of strong/consistent N. wind will keep the level higher. A good strong north wind will push a bunch of water out of the bays.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Tide levels this year - 11/17/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Can someone explain to this poor Midwestern boy why tide levels are so much higher this year than last? I understand the moon effects tides, but areas that were dry-mid shin deep last year are up to my hips this year. I always thought bay depths were real consistent year to year

Higher amount of fresh water run off. It takes a little while to flush out of the bay system and lack of north wind
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum