Texas Hunting Forum

New rain gear.

Posted By: teal.slayer14

New rain gear. - 11/01/15 10:21 PM

So after sitting in the blind in the pouring rain Saturday and Sunday I have come to the conclusion that my Cabelas rain jacket is in fact NOT waterproof.

What do you guys use? I'm in need of a new rain/wind jacket. Something than can be worn year round.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: New rain gear. - 11/01/15 11:08 PM

There's times when you're gonna be miserable no matter how well prepared you are. manthfkupandsuckitup works well,.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New rain gear. - 11/01/15 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
There's times when you're gonna be miserable no matter how well prepared you are. manthfkupandsuckitup works well,.

In Texas, good advice. In Alaska, it will get you killed.
Posted By: Mapman

Re: New rain gear. - 11/02/15 12:08 AM

I put out decoys in a rainstorm and my Simms jacket over waders kept me dry. It is not their top of the line - paid $99.00 for it on the internet but it is still high quality. I just bought a mid-weight Rivers West rain coat. It is waterproof fleece. I am going to give this a try. Saw a few posts that gave dRivers West a favorable rating.
Posted By: JEmberson

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 06:56 AM

I had some rivers west gear. Zipper died, neoprene cuffs tore. For what I paid I wasn't too happy until the warranty got me a new one. I switched to Drake eventually and over time I have replaced all my jackets with drake. I can't fault the stuff, just a bit pricier than some others.
Posted By: john paul

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 12:02 PM

I really like my helly Hansen rain slicker
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 02:00 PM

Frog togs over the top of your other waterproof gear works well.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 02:06 PM

And can almost kill you too. I tried that after I fell in the water when it was -16 degrees. By the time I decided to go to the truck my waders were frozen from the inside out and I couldn't walk. My pants were frozen to my skin. Luckily I was fine but it could have been worse.

Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 03:41 PM

bite the bullet and buy some good gear. No sense in being miserable.
Eric that could have been bad.
Posted By: Cast

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 05:07 PM

I have proven rain gear in the saddle bags on the Harley. BUT, I ain't going outside in the freezing rain, unless it's to get me to a warm dry blind.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 05:15 PM

It's a caught 22 on rain gear. The most waterproof is not breathable. But waterproof/breathable has come along ways.

When you buy water proof gear I highly suggest it's critically seam sealed and not a brushed fabric. Bushed fabrics tend to hold water.

Usually the louder the fabric the better the DWR treatment works at Shedding water.

I use Columbia wader wideon and never have had an issue. And I've been in some monsoons at the coast

Posted By: Judd

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I use Columbia wader wideon and never have had an issue. And I've been in some monsoons at the coast

I've been in a few with mine and that jacket is the best...I used to be a huge Drake fan but the Columbia jacket is a lot more waterproof than the Drake 3-1....plus the Omni-heat (aka aluminum foil) is the warmest and lightest material I've found yet.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

And can almost kill you too. I tried that after I fell in the water when it was -16 degrees. By the time I decided to go to the truck my waders were frozen from the inside out and I couldn't walk. My pants were frozen to my skin. Luckily I was fine but it could have been worse.

eeks333
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I've been in a few with mine and that jacket is the best...I used to be a huge Drake fan but the Columbia jacket is a lot more waterproof than the Drake 3-1....plus the Omni-heat (aka aluminum foil) is the warmest and lightest material I've found yet.

It saved my bacon last Jan in Maryland. Those dude hunt ALL day for divers!!!
Posted By: garrett

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 08:24 PM

I'm gonna break down and get an Omni-heat one of these days, just wish I knew someone that could get me a discount
Posted By: zbot11

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 10:27 PM

I might check out that Columbia Water Widgeon shell as my jacket is quickly losing it's waterproofness. Call me a wimp, but I like to be warm and dry versus the opposite if I have the choice.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Frog togs over the top of your other waterproof gear works well.

I have the drake eqwader pullover.. Work in the light rain but if it's pouring I throw the frog togg jacket over that. All I need to stay dry!
Posted By: Guy

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 11:27 PM

Got a Cabelas gortex shell several seasons ago, I been dry ever since...
Posted By: ultralite09

Re: New rain gear. - 11/03/15 11:46 PM

My drak 3-1 did great for me over the past 4 years. Sold it for $10 less than I bought it for last month and bought myself a Stormr Stealth jacket. Warm and dry as can be. Considered buying a sitka as well since all my whitetail gear is sitka but didnt want to drop the cash on it at the moment. Maybe next year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum