Texas Hunting Forum

Calls other than mallard hen

Posted By: Duke4456

Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 03:05 AM

I was wondering how many different types of calls yall carried with you besides mallard hen. I carry a Drake whistle for pintail teal and wigeon, teal hen call and recently bought a gadwalls call because we usually shoot a lot of them and thought I would try something different.
Posted By: phat694

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 04:01 AM

mallard hen ( single reed acrylic, wood, and double reed wood), Primos 5-1 whistle, teal call, wood duck call.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 04:52 AM

Honestly, I've never really had great luck with birds (other than mallards, Canadians and snows) responding to calls. I've tried whistles but never noticed a difference or turned heads with em
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Honestly, I've never really had great luck with birds (other than mallards, Canadians and snows) responding to calls. I've tried whistles but never noticed a difference or turned heads with em

Then you haven't done enough duck hunting up
Posted By: Blue drake

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 01:43 PM

Mallard hen, mallard drake, and teal, wigeon, pintail. The wigeon call seems to work pretty good.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 01:46 PM

kazoos seem to be most popular from what I can't tell.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 02:32 PM

Fox pro with the "screaming jack" call seems to be a popular one among duck hunters around here. They must be using a fox pro, I don't know how anyone can blow a mouth call that long non stop from daylight until 9
Posted By: 68A

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 02:33 PM

Iphone and bose speaker. Eliminates all those pesky calls hanging around.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

I guess not. I'd say about 99% of my hunting has been chasing mallards and woodies, and until I was 25, my dad and I never blew a call in our lives
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 02:38 PM

But really, I have my rnt diablo and a whistle. Mostly I just use the whistle. You can get a teal and gadwall out of a regular mallard call if you wanted.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

I guess not. I'd say about 99% of my hunting has been chasing mallards and woodies, and until I was 25, my dad and I never blew a call in our lives

Well if you take the time to learn to blow a call (most people are not willing to put in the time to learn and end up flaring more birds than anything) and read the ducks, you can turn any species in the state with just a mallard hen call and a whistle on your lanyard.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 04:16 PM

2 mallard hens (one for soft and feed calls, one for open water), whistle for pintail/wigeon/Teal & Mallard drake, teal hen, and will probably add a gadwall this year. Hoping when they start to get call shy to the mallard call the gadwall will drop them in (after the first couple weeks we're about 90% gadwall)
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 04:16 PM

It's fun to work North TX pinners with a whistle. They take their time and might take 5 minutes to commit, but it works.
Posted By: Duke4456

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/27/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
It's fun to work North TX pinners with a whistle. They take their time and might take 5 minutes to commit, but it works.
yea I love shooting pintails cause of how hard they are to get to commit
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/28/15 11:39 AM

I've never notice a gaddy call turning grey duck any better than a whistle or mallard hen call, same with teal calls. A few quacks and whistles seem to fool almost any duck.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Calls other than mallard hen - 10/28/15 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I've never notice a gaddy call turning grey duck any better than a whistle or mallard hen call, same with teal calls. A few quacks and whistles seem to fool almost any duck.

Ive heard that, and I've heard the opposite. For $20 might be worth it to give it a shot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum