Texas Hunting Forum

Public Hunting on Texoma

Posted By: UNTHUNTER

Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 05:23 PM

Grew up hunting but been out of the game awhile.. Seeing if anyone could recommend any public spots on Texoma. Also any public spots in Grayson, Cooke, and Denton county. Thanks in advance, also my first post on here but planning on getting back in the swing of things hardcore this season.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 05:59 PM

Good first post up
Posted By: Guy

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 06:10 PM

The fun never ends around here.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 06:15 PM

UNT duck hunters hunting spots are sacred. Your about to get crucified

No shortcuts- put a few 100 miles a week on your vehicle and find places to hunt.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 06:36 PM

Unt, I'm gonna give ya the benefit of the doubt & assume you're new to Internet forums. Here's a few general rules to live by. I'm still fairly new to this forum since I just moved here last year but I'm no newbie to forums in general.

1. Never ask for a guy's public hunting spots. It's looked at as pretty much the rudest thing you can do on a forum. You can ask general location, but we work darn hard to find our spots and the last thing we want is to find 1/2 the Internet on the spot we searched for. For example, asking how the bird numbers are on Texoma is usually ok since its a huge body of water. Some guys will still chew ya out for this, but it's usually ok to ask what kinda water they're relating to. But never, ever ask for a guy's "X".

2. Contribute to the forum & you'll be rewarded. Get to know some of us. Show that you have interest in our passion and want to learn some new stuff and teach beginners how to advance their skill. Eventually, we'll start inviting you on hunts and might even show you a few of our honey holes.

3. Take everything said with a grain of salt, and if you're easily offended, you might as well get outta the Internet forum game. Most of these guys are good dudes & you can learn a ton from em, but we all get pretty bored, especially during off season, and excessive ribbing and general tomfoolery usual ensues.

4. Don't feed the trolls. Trolls are guys that just love to argue & post stuff just to get into a heated debate. Turn a blind eye to em & move on to the next post.

Anyways, happy hunting & hopefully we see some more of you on here!

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 07:03 PM

First off this is to GreeKangler as well.. New to hunting forums not forums in general. Second you misunderstand my question I wasn't asking for exact spots for I know that that would idiotic because I would then be joining someone's hunt. I was intending general spots and areas where it's even allowed to hunt on a certain lake etc..Third let me go ahead and put 100s of miles on my truck scouting while I finish my Sr of college, work, and then work on my deer lease on the few hours I have left. But honestly thank you for the warnings now I know and whatever advice or instruction y'all have for me I will listen
Posted By: 68A

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 07:05 PM

If you were ever "in the game" you should know people aren't gonna tell you where the spots are. Gotta put in work like the rest of us. You still have a couple weeks...
Posted By: 68A

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 07:07 PM

Lake texoma is the general area, if you want to have a successful hunt you'll put in some time scouting. It's nobody's job to help you because you don't have time.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 07:56 PM

Didn't ask for someone to do it for me, and yes I have Texoma i grew up 5 miles from it I was asking for other public lakes in Grayson, Denton, and Cooke
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 08:25 PM

I would like to hunt texoma. UNT where are some good spots?

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 08:32 PM

Slick em had some ducks on it last year limited out one time 4 the other & near cedar mills marina has looked good lately
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 08:48 PM

I want some stripers!
Posted By: Will

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 09:25 PM

popcorn
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 09:32 PM

welcome Start driving and boating. Lake Ray Roberts hunters are the friendliest group of hunters in the world and will send you maps to their blinds and times they are not there. rofl
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 10:36 PM

You guys can be some real arses!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/24/15 10:57 PM

Don't think I will ever join the duck hunt crew. Sounds like the spots are more valuable than Crappie holes
Posted By: JRR

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 12:59 AM

Figure out where public lands are, state and corps lands. Get their maps of the boundaries, then start with google earth to figure out where you might like what it looks like, access you have (walk,boat,etc.) then scout it. Water levels have changed everything. Only other Lake is Ray Roberts and it's busy on weekends. Remember on Texoma it's not all in Texas, may need an Oklahoma license, HIP, and stamp depending on where you go. Be cognizant on public land as depending on where you go it may or may not be opened during entire waterfowl season.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 01:03 AM

be careful, some protecting their secret lakes may have you set up on Hagerman

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: JRR
be careful, some protecting their secret lakes may have you set up on Hagerman
roflmao
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:15 AM

Have you considered saving yourself hours of scouting and a tank of gas by calling an outfitter? Dan at four curl nation is $200 a pop and you'd be driving all of 15 minutes from UNT to hunt a private, scouted tank.
You gotta pay to play either way you cut it.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 12:02 PM

UNTHUNTER I apologize for the rude behavior of these men. They get all rules up over nothing. I am not from up there but there is a guy that will help you. Send a private message to Hayraker on this forum and he will set you in the right spot. Have a good season and don't pay attention to these guys. They don't even scout anyways!
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
UNTHUNTER I apologize for the rude behavior of these men. They get all rules up over nothing. I am not from up there but there is a guy that will help you. Send a private message to Hayraker on this forum and he will set you in the right spot. Have a good season and don't pay attention to these guys. They don't even scout anyways!

Pm sent to Hayraker. popcorn
Posted By: Cast

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 12:47 PM

Has duck hunting evolved into a private club/cult?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 12:53 PM

Posted By: BULSPRG

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 01:37 PM

Figure out where public lands are, state and corps lands. Get their maps of the boundaries, then start with google earth to figure out where you might like what it looks like, access you have (walk,boat,etc.) then scout it. Water levels have changed everything. Only other Lake is Ray Roberts and it's busy on weekends. Remember on Texoma it's not all in Texas, may need an Oklahoma license, HIP, and stamp depending on where you go. Be cognizant on public land as depending on where you go it may or may not be opened during entire waterfowl season.

Do what JRR suggests and don't be the guy that shows up 10-15 minutes before shooting time and try's to find a spot. RR is really crowded and the high shooting will amaze you there,don't be that guy. Do your homework and you will be just fine. From what I have seen the last two years, walking in will be hard this year with all the water we have. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions, just don't lake name on the open forum, it's an open invite to all the internet scouters out there. Good luck & stay safe this year.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BULSPRG

Do what JRR suggests and don't be the guy that shows up 10-15 minutes before shooting time and try's to find a spot. RR is really crowded and the high shooting will amaze you there,don't be that guy. Do your homework and you will be just fine. From what I have seen the last two years, walking in will be hard this year with all the water we have. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions, just don't lake name on the open forum, it's an open invite to all the internet scouters out there. Good luck & stay safe this year.

Good advice BULSPRG. up
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:05 PM

Texoma sucks so far...well, in the Little Mineral Arm, anyway. Plus, they just took 750 acres of public hunting land and made it all private douche bag resort land (a couple years ago). AND, they haven't replaced it as far as I know (like they are supposed to). However, with the 6.5" of rain, it should put the water level back up in the weeds. It's prolly a lot better around Slick Em Slough...or Highport, but you got to be a ninja to hunt there
Posted By: garrett

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:19 PM

This thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with America. The participation trophys have made everyone feel entitled to what they want when they want it without putting in the work.

We are doomed to fail and at this rate it'll be sooner than later.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
Originally Posted By: wal1809

Pm sent to Hayraker. popcorn

Glad I could help fellas.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Originally Posted By: garrett
This thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with America. The participation trophys have made everyone feel entitled to what they want when they want it without putting in the work.

exactly, never come on a public forum and ask for advice or any assistance whatsoever unless you want to be berated and then get everything blamed on Duck Dynasty as everybody else was born a waterfowl expert and never had to ask for any help......if you want to learn then you must pay somebody.....this is what made America great.......
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:49 PM

exactly, never come on a public forum and ask for advice or any assistance whatsoever unless you want to be berated and then get everything blamed on Duck Dynasty as everybody else was born a waterfowl expert and never had to ask for any help......if you want to learn then you must pay somebody.....this is what made America great.......

That's right junior, you also can't be easily offended if you are asking for a hand out.

Listen chief, keep in mind that most of the guys who post here don't know the answers to your question. They are sports themselves who might kill a handful of ducks each season when someone takes them along on a hunt.

For the most part if you want real info on anything you should consult Wikipedia before listening to anyone on this forum.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:51 PM

Asking for help and advice is one thing, asking for spots to hunt is completely different.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 02:59 PM

and get in there early !!!!! I love the "some Barney potlicked my spot" threads....."walked all the way in and some Barney was in my spot, I hate the Robertson's".....

actually, do get in there early. Probably more hunts ruined by someone stumbling around at daylight than any other way, including your own. If you can't call don't, I don't. A bunch of decoys doesn't always translate to success. Hide, Hide, Hide......an "experts" poor calling can send them to your small quiet spread.
Look at other public hunting areas with ponds and small lakes and try to hunt weekdays, if at UNT then there are some north and west of you. Remember too, easy access spots translate to more hunters.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

Asking for help and advice is one thing, asking for spots to hunt is completely different.

Nothing wrong with asking, doesn't require a response if one so chooses. I would call being told a spot is helpful......

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 03:04 PM

I'm willing to bet this is a fairly young hunter that came on here not knowing the "rules" and possibly may never come back, why would he.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 03:25 PM

And you don't have to pay someone to learn how to duck hunt. I've never taken a guided duck hunt. I learned from trial and error and asking for actual advice, not spots. People on here will gladly help with almost anything you ask, except what spot to hunt.

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 03:26 PM

I'm willing to bet this is a fairly young hunter that came on here not knowing the "rules" and possibly may never come back, why would he.

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Public Hunting on Texoma - 10/25/15 04:26 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/43/1/Public_Hunting

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5268623/gonew/1/Texas_Public_Hunting_Links,_Se#UNREAD
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum