Texas Hunting Forum

Pushing for a finish

Posted By: wal1809

Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 02:11 PM

I have really been pushing to finish this project. Between arrowhead digging and the Astros playoff games, things have been slow. Sorry for the crapola pics. I dropped my telephone and shattered the lens on the camera. This will give you an idea of where I am at.

Bunk

Rear shooter stations and dog kennel beyond that.

Kitchen

The two front shooter stations

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 02:22 PM

Lookin Great!! cheers
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 04:45 PM

Almost done! I have blind envy.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 08:10 PM

I have worked on this thing so long I almost forgot it is supposed to go in the water.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 09:10 PM

Looking good.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
telephone

I haven't heard that full word in a very long time.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 09:25 PM

Nice
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 09:49 PM

The bunk has a stripper pole! cheers

Wait, who is gonna be using it? wtf

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
YESIR

Who do you want me to be, big boy?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/13/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
YESIR

Who do you want me to be, big boy?

Well, I was angling for some hired help... but hey, enough Shiner would... ahhh probably not.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 02:05 AM

Oh well we don't have to hire any talent, Hogman is going on the hunt.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 03:45 AM

I've seen Wayne's hired help, I'm not sure which is any better...

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I've seen Wayne's hired help, I'm not sure which is any better...

Weren't you the hired help one time?
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:00 PM

Arrow head pics please.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:03 PM

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:04 PM

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:06 PM

Some of these were at a 8000 year old campsite in williamson county. The other are also from an 8000 year old camp at my duck lease. After duck hunting we always go hit "The hill" and look for heads.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:08 PM

WTH here are a couple more from the duck lease

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:10 PM

Nice. We dig one site that has three time ranges. 1 at 6", 2 at 2-3', older stuff at 4-5.

Just picked up a property in Williamson county that has a camp on it. We will be doing the same. Duck hunt then dig.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:11 PM

It makes me wonder how many of these were thrown or fired at an animal. Some of these heads are 4 times older than Jesus! To find something like these after a mallard smack down makes for one heck of a fun day!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:13 PM

The little bird point on my finger might be my most prized arrowhead to date. It is pristine, uniface and translucent. It is literally as thin as a credit card. How it survived is a mystery. The tip will cut you if you press too hard.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:15 PM

That is a pretty bird point. I don't know anything about the arrowhead stuff but that's some skill right there.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:21 PM

That's awesome. I've got a buddy that has an amazing camp on his ranch. Each of these pics is from
About 2 hours of digging.

I'm lucky enough to get to go 1-2x a year with him.

Here's a few from our place in San Saba.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:37 PM

Man I love those finds. I have seen some smoker points in the frames in the background in the pics of your mancave. I am very fortunate my wife has been absolutely infected with the artifact hunting bug. It has completely consumed her. All she talks about is retiring and hunting heads every day.

Your first pic second left bottom row. I found a knife with a similar shape last weekend. Mine is busted.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:39 PM

The Pedernales in that first pic is definitely a smoker.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:48 PM

All of those on the bottom row, first pic are out of the "deep" camp. Much older stuff. Man- I'm glad you put this up!!! Just text my buddy and we are taking my boys to hit the dirt on the 22nd.

This entire ridge is a camp/mitten(cleaning area on a creek). You can dig anywhere in a 100 yd x 100 yd area and find points. I bet he's dug 1% of this camp and pulled 300 points. It's crazy-he has no desire to dig. He takes me cause I'm one of his customers. He drinks beer while I dig.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:49 PM

That one is 4". We've pulled 4-5 in the 4-5" range. They are amazing.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt

That one is 4". We've pulled 4-5 in the 4-5" range. They are amazing.

Truly amazing craftsmanship! We don't know near what we think we know about these people. Imagine the herds of ducks they used to see. Imagine how dangerous Texas was with the bands of wolves, bear lion ect. These stones fed them and these stones protected them. I am sure it was hard to stay alive.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 05:20 PM

Amazing arrowheads. I've found lots of broken ones, but nothing close to perfect. Any tips on knowing where to dig? I have access to some great areas, but have no clue on where to begin digging. Everything I have found has been on the surface.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 05:41 PM

The key is high ground over a water source. Great places are where creeks meet rivers on the higher bank.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 05:52 PM

Awesome stuff here, never dug for arrowheads, but very interesting, might have to give this a try.
Thanks for sharing.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/14/15 05:54 PM

I was using 1/2 inch sifters at the duck lease until we found the little bird points and realized we were losing them through the screen. We now use 1/4 inch. It is a lot slower but it is what it is.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 11:40 AM

I have really been pushing to finish this project.

Looks good Wayne, keep pushing. I would refrain from cooking bacon in the kitchen before legal, it will attract barney.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 12:13 PM

No doubt.. I'll smell it from miles away

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 12:36 PM

I kind of forgot this was a duck blind thread confused2 You start talking about indian artifacts and I lose my train of, uhhh what. I will have her finsihed for the opener but I am not sure if I get to use her for the opener. My bride is having surgery that will require 6 weeks of recovery. She will be in the hospital for 5 days and then we will bust for the coast for a week. So I will probably just take the fishing boat instead of the toon boat duck blind.

BTW meet the new boat. Hopefully picking it up tonight. I can't wait. Hogman and I might go down a couple days early for the THF unofficial duck hunt and hammer some trouts before everyone gets there. I could be jinxing the sale by posting this up, but it is what it is.

Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 01:01 PM

This post went from pushing for a finish, to arrow heads, to a flats boat. No dang wonder you can't finish the toon.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
This post went from pushing for a finish, to arrow heads, to a flats boat. No dang wonder you can't finish the toon.

I am a busy man and I get bored easily. How about them Astros?

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 02:12 PM

Well if that deal goes south I'll send you some links to boat dealers down there so you will have a fishing boat by the time I get there.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 02:35 PM

Sweet boat!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Sweet boat!

I cant get it until tomorrow. The suspense is killing me. Hog and I talked about it. He is going to trailer it down to the unofficial thf duck hunt and I will bring the blind pontoon. We are going 2 days early and the bay boat can take us fishing and we can find the birds in a fraction of the time with it rather than relying on the ducktoon. I love tiddee deep wade fishing in the winter!!!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 03:33 PM

Sweet boat!

I cant get it until tomorrow. The suspense is killing me. Hog and I talked about it. He is going to trailer it down to the unofficial thf duck hunt and I will bring the blind pontoon. We are going 2 days early and the bay boat can take us fishing and we can find the birds in a fraction of the time with it rather than relying on the ducktoon. I love tiddee deep wade fishing in the winter!!!

If I make it down I'll have to hit you up! I'll have my little 15-foot duck boat most likely. If my buddy comes we'll have his 21ft Carolina Skiff!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 03:35 PM

I'll stop and pick up the airboat and haul it down that weekend up

heck i might just hook the airboat up to the bus and go

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

I am scared to launch a boat with the bus. One mistake and you got a lot of bad on your hands.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 03:52 PM

Sweet boat!

If I make it down I'll have to hit you up! I'll have my little 15-foot duck boat most likely. If my buddy comes we'll have his 21ft Carolina Skiff!

I will have map with me to mark spots for people to go. I fished Dewberry Island shoreline last weekend. After going through the boat lane in POC that shoreline heads off to the west. My ducktoon can get to within 15 to 20 yards of the shoreline. It will blend right in and not alter the birds decoying. That shoreline is as hard as a walmart parking lot. So those with bigger boats can spread out on that shoreline if they want. There are also the chain of islands just to the south. A carolina skiff can go just about anywhere it wants to in there. A little further south and there is Big Pocket, light house and Army hole area. There is plenty of places to go.

Dont forget supper atmy place on Saturday night. I will be making a massive pot of Gumbo! Just bring your beer and a chair, me and Hog will have the rest ready by early evening.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 05:00 PM

I am scared to launch a boat with the bus. One mistake and you got a lot of bad on your hands.

its an airboat, I'll fire that pig up and drive it off the trailer and through the parking lot to the water

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 05:34 PM

I kind of forgot this was a duck blind thread confused2 You start talking about indian artifacts and I lose my train of, uhhh what. I will have her finsihed for the opener but I am not sure if I get to use her for the opener. My bride is having surgery that will require 6 weeks of recovery. She will be in the hospital for 5 days and then we will bust for the coast for a week. So I will probably just take the fishing boat instead of the toon boat duck blind.

BTW meet the new boat. Hopefully picking it up tonight. I can't wait. Hogman and I might go down a couple days early for the THF unofficial duck hunt and hammer some trouts before everyone gets there. I could be jinxing the sale by posting this up, but it is what it is.

If I was near the coast I would have something like that.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 05:40 PM

its an airboat, I'll fire that pig up and drive it off the trailer and through the parking lot to the water

I've seen this take place many times. Can Garrett pull it off? I dunno.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 05:42 PM

If there was grass I would do it. POC is a big parking lot.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

I've seen this take place many times. Can Garrett pull it off? I dunno.

There isn't a boat or truck I can't drive

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 06:04 PM

It gets tight with all the hunters and fisherman in there. I gotta see this.. I'll have the GoPro ready!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 07:46 PM

Airboat with reverse! This I've got to see.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 11:30 PM

Ever hear of rolling bunk boards? Put the truck in reverse and tap the brake...guess they didn't teach common sense in that private school you went to?

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/15/15 11:33 PM

clap
Posted By: Guy

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 12:46 AM

Wayne, so you have 3 boats now?

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 12:48 AM

Ever hear of rolling bunk boards? Put the truck in reverse and tap the brake...guess they didn't teach common sense in that private school you went to?

I'm well aware of how to get the boat off the trailer. You said, "fire it up and drive it off the trailer". Guess they don't teach sentence structure in the desert. up

I've owned airboats. Have you?

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 01:00 AM

I have a 10 year old that takes everything literal also up

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

I am a busy man and I get bored easily. How about them Astros?

I knew I like you. We have a lot in common. Ducks, arrowheads...look-SQUIRREL!!!! What were we talking about?

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 01:28 AM

Stop trying to change the topic of our arrowhead post....

Picked up a turkey lease out west for next year. Went to check it out today. 4000 acres in the heart of Comanche country. Flint everywhere. Three today plus a few broken ones in about 15 min on the surface. Only deal, is that the finds stay on the ranch which is ok.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 03:33 AM

Man those are wonderful finds.
Is the top a Castroville?
The bottom really intrigues me. I am going with Meserve or Plainview Golondrina. If it is either one you have a transitional Paleo point. That is nearly as good as it can get.

I am very interested in the middle one in your picture as I have three points I have not completely identified.

Third from the right has similar makings. Also look at the impact fracture on the black one.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

I still have yet to take possession. The guy is looking for the title. Once he finds it then we will go get it. So to answer you question, no. I own 3 boats and my wife owns 1. Tomorrow she will own 2. She made it very clear the airboat was hers because she picked it out on the internet while driving down the highway. I made the mistake of sending here a pic of the new boat with a caption saying here is your new baby. All she targeted was "Your's" in that conversation. So it is her new boat. You taking notes on how to handle the home front? You can fight them all day long, you ain't going to win. Figure out how to make it their decision and you get the boats and the @$!#&.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 12:27 PM

I still have yet to take possession. The guy is looking for the title. Once he finds it then we will go get it. So to answer you question, no. I own 3 board and my wife owns 1. Tomorrow she will own 2. She made it very clear the airboat was here because she picked it out on the internet while driving down the highway. I made the mistake of sending here a pic of the new boat with a caption staying here is your new baby. All she targeted was "Your". So it is her new boat. You taking notes on how to handle the home front? You can fight them all day long, you ain't going to win. Figure out how to make it their decision and you get the boats and the @$!#&.

Outstanding. Noted cheers

I've learned some good stuff on this forum.. that tops the list right there!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 01:30 PM

Thank you Duckcoach I take that as a nice compliment. I didn't figure this out until I was headed out the door to go buy one of the mud boats from a while back. I told her I was headed to the lake to go look at a boat. She got mad and angry. This was not long after we got married. So without communication we got into it pretty bad. The whole time I was concerned she would even think about raising an eyebrow when I went to buy a boat. I laid out the ground rules in our relationship from day one. I told her I hunt and fish and that's that. So when she got mad I instantly thought she was trying to change the foundation we agreed upon. I thought this way instantly because I am a man. When the smoke cleared I had missed her whole point. She wasn't the least bit mad about buying the boat, she was angry hurt and upset because I didn't invite her. You see fellas, that is when the light bulb lit up for me. So ever since then I have included her in every aspect of boat purchases. We have bought and sold probably a dozen boats. Never once has she even raised an eyebrow. She has also come to realize if I buy something, we are going to make money off the sale.

The only time I didn't include her was the ducktoon boat. She came home from out of town and there was a monster size pontoon boat in the yard with 4 blown out tires on the trailer. She asked where it came from. I told her I bought it. I could see the "I wasn't included" start to trickle in. I explained I got the whole package for what the trailer alone is worth. I explained I was going to build it so she could take naps while duck hunting, eat breakfast and there would be a toilet. Bingo!!!!! She said "A toilet?" I knew I found the magic button as she said let go look at it. I don't know how or why, but I got the kewlest wife in the world. I am a lucky man.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 01:49 PM

A man can never have too many boats. Damn, for a dude with lots of high learnin' we gotta teach you everything.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

A man can never have too many boats. Damn, for a dude with lots of high learnin' we gotta teach you everything.

You see, Dave gets it! One of my brothers has never owned a boat. He gripes about how many boats I have every time we get together. Not one time has he ever said "No, I don't want to go fishing or hunting in one of your boats". He doesn't gripe while we are out on the water.

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 03:19 PM

Thank you Duckcoach I take that as a nice compliment. I didn't figure this out until I was headed out the door to go buy one of the mud boats from a while back. I told her I was headed to the lake to go look at a boat. She got mad and angry. This was not long after we got married. So without communication we got into it pretty bad. The whole time I was concerned she would even think about raising an eyebrow when I went to buy a boat. I laid out the ground rules in our relationship from day one. I told her I hunt and fish and that's that. So when she got mad I instantly thought she was trying to change the foundation we agreed upon. I thought this way instantly because I am a man. When the smoke cleared I had missed her whole point. She wasn't the least bit mad about buying the boat, she was angry hurt and upset because I didn't invite her. You see fellas, that is when the light bulb lit up for me. So ever since then I have included her in every aspect of boat purchases. We have bought and sold probably a dozen boats. Never once has she even raised an eyebrow. She has also come to realize if I buy something, we are going to make money off the sale.

The only time I didn't include her was the ducktoon boat. She came home from out of town and there was a monster size pontoon boat in the yard with 4 blown out tires on the trailer. She asked where it came from. I told her I bought it. I could see the "I wasn't included" start to trickle in. I explained I got the whole package for what the trailer alone is worth. I explained I was going to build it so she could take naps while duck hunting, eat breakfast and there would be a toilet. Bingo!!!!! She said "A toilet?" I knew I found the magic button as she said let go look at it. I don't know how or why, but I got the kewlest wife in the world. I am a lucky man.

I'm getting married in June.. This information couldn't come at a better time!

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 04:33 PM

Makes it much easier to hunt and fish that way.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Pushing for a finish - 10/16/15 08:14 PM

Forget the trailer.

Back it out of your garage, drive it on concrete/asphalt/riprap and thru a McD drive through on the way to the water, that would be impressive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum