Texas Hunting Forum

hevi steel

Posted By: Gill_97

hevi steel - 10/06/15 04:09 AM

I just spent an hour shopping online for some shells and other stuff I don't need. I found them at mack's pw the cheapest but the rebate doesn't start till the 10th. Anyone shoot these and find them cheaper? 149.90 for 12 3" #4 and 139.90 for 20 3" #3. Rebate is $15 a case, limit 2. Right now, I'll just wait till the 10th to buy and hope I get them in before the 31st.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 11:59 AM

Buy 2 3/4 with a patternmastern
U dont need 3
U ll save 40$ a case easy
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 03:15 PM

I shot a box last year. Perform just as good as anything else.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 03:22 PM

I didn't read anything after hevi
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 04:08 PM

The hevi stands for bird seed
Posted By: Matpk

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Canvasback
I shot a box last year. Perform just as good as anything else.

Lucky you Canvasback...I got the same opinion after shooting a case..
Just improve your spread and calling skill..Buy the cheapest ammo and you will have better result.
aim
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 04:41 PM

I had high hopes for these shells last year, but after going through half a case I was not impressed. I picked up four cases of Rio #2 3 inch at Cabelas for $89/case about a month ago. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: hevi steel - 10/06/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Flock Knocker
I had high hopes for these shells last year, but after going through half a case I was not impressed. I picked up four cases of Rio #2 3 inch at Cabelas for $89/case about a month ago. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.

X2..This is what I would suggest. rifle
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: hevi steel - 10/07/15 03:52 AM

These patterned best out of my gun out of all the shells I tried. I use to shoot xperts. I'll try a box of rio's and see what they do.
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: hevi steel - 10/07/15 03:03 PM

Just curious, but why do so many of you shoot 2s? Do y'all hunt open water?

Unless you've gone to the pattern board, how can you tell that a shell performs any better or worse than another?
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: hevi steel - 10/07/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Canvasback
Just curious, but why do so many of you shoot 2s? Do y'all hunt open water?

Unless you've gone to the pattern board, how can you tell that a shell performs any better or worse than another?

What do you shoot? I shoot 4's and 2's because that's what kills ducks the most dead for the shots I typically get. I hit the patterning board and federal blue box 4's and 2's give me what I'm looking for at 30 yds out of an IC. I would say I'm a poor judge of straight line distance, I can't tell you how far away a duck is when I shoot it. I do however have a very good understanding of how far a ducks away is for me and the shots I know I can cleanly kill.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: hevi steel - 10/07/15 10:02 PM

I like 2s because they work well for me when Geese come in close as well as duck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum