Texas Hunting Forum

Cold front

Posted By: Justin Shelton

Cold front - 10/02/15 03:15 PM

Do y'all think this cold front will ..bring dove in? Push them out ? Or have no effect?
Posted By: garrett

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 03:56 PM

based on the weather patterns I have seen this week on the models I would say that this current front will cause some bird movement. IMO it will push the birds up north further south and at the same time push the birds from the middle area further south, yet wont effect the birds that are already south at all. Now when all this takes place you will go from having no birds to a few more birds to more birds and then back to no birds, so you are going to have to keep a careful watch on your fields and know when to hit em.

now for the real kicker that will make all the difference in the world...if you can figure out where you are in the big scheme of things you'll be money. you need to figure out if you are north, middle or south, once you get that locked in you can formulate a plan and get the job done up
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 04:46 PM

Was dove hunting this morning and had some geese fly over
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 05:17 PM

Migratory

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 06:03 PM

I just drove by my fields, and I must be in the north or the middle, because I sure dont have enough birds to be south
Posted By: Guy

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
based on the weather patterns I have seen this week on the models I would say that this current front will cause some bird movement. IMO it will push the birds up north further south and at the same time push the birds from the middle area further south, yet wont effect the birds that are already south at all. Now when all this takes place you will go from having no birds to a few more birds to more birds and then back to no birds, so you are going to have to keep a careful watch on your fields and know when to hit em.

now for the real kicker that will make all the difference in the world...if you can figure out where you are in the big scheme of things you'll be money. you need to figure out if you are north, middle or south, once you get that locked in you can formulate a plan and get the job done up

Ha ha, you're getting more full of it by the day.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 06:17 PM

I'd say we are in the middle or north/middle?? Taylor County

We have had good numbers all season. We had mostly white-wings to start then it transitioned to mourning and now to mourning and ringneck.

There has only been one day that I hunted that I didn't shoot 15-20 birds.

This particular field is fairly close to town so I think the early white wings were resident city birds. We then got a big influx of mourning just as the white wings slowed down.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Cold front - 10/02/15 07:47 PM

have a few acres here that are ready for the plains birds to show up...
I love dove shooting in Oct.
best shoot we ever had was nov8
sux the state/fed shutting us down early.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Cold front - 10/03/15 12:32 AM

Birds are down south

If u wanne witness 5000 plus in 1 field that is

Still some in n abilene
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Cold front - 10/03/15 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: garrett

That's a lot of words, dude. Birds thin everywhere but far south and WNW
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Cold front - 10/03/15 04:41 AM

sallysue same here!!!
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Cold front - 10/03/15 12:43 PM

I don't know where I am in the big scheme of things.

Re: Cold front - 10/03/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: gacman
I don't know where I am in the big scheme of things.

If you wanna shoot birds you need to get your head in the game, and off that butt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum