Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin?

Posted By: Arbor Guy

Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/09/15 05:46 PM

My wife and I are about to pick up another dog and we've been looking at the Boykin breed. From what I read they seem like a good hunting and family dog. Is anyone hunting behind one? If so can you give me insight into the breed? What about local reputable breeders?
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/09/15 05:58 PM

If you like the looks of them look at this breed Deutscher Wachtelhund I have one and very impressed

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/09/15 06:21 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/09/15 09:27 PM

No, I wanted one bad but there are only a couple breeders in the state and they are expensive in my opinion. I think they have a monopoly on the breed. I ended up getting a little chocolate lab puppy. But I will have a Boykin someday. From everything I've read and heard, they are hard to beat! I say get one so we can all see first hand!!!
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/09/15 09:38 PM

Cdoz35 does and I've hunted with his dog many times. Great dog! especially for dove and upland. He got him from a breeder off the east coast but Texas Trace is a good kennel.

Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/10/15 01:55 AM

Yep sure are. Myself and two buddies looked for a long time and finally found three. Two came out of Mississippi and one out of Texas. They are all about 17 months old now and dove hunting machines. Looking forward to do a little duck and upland hunting with them as well. They are great pets along with a great drive for hunting. Mine weighs about 30lbs and the others weigh around 35-36 lbs. You can find breeders on the East Coast but they don't like giving them up to out of State folks. Good luck.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/10/15 02:44 AM

Similar to English cocker but bigger. Wouldn't trade my dogs for lab any day. Better nose, intelligence, natural retrievers. Hunt in SD, west tx, and 35+ days during duck season.

ONLY time lab will outhunt these dogs is under 25 degrees with thick ice. Obviously, a 30-40lb dog can have issues in these situations. Coat not made for 15-25 degree weather.

They are pocket rockets. Do some work on breeder. Great pets for indoors as well. Will not chew up everything in site like breed mentioned above-

They will do double and triple blind retrieves over water, fences etc. extremely intelligent. Very easy to train and hunt for the Gun.
These spaniels have amazing drive- all of them.

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/10/15 03:02 AM

Great info guys and love those picks. Backs up what I've read. I really like to dove hunt and I heard these guys are masters on the dove field. Can handle the heat better than most. 35 days hunting during duck season! That dogs get his work in for sure. By the looks of it finding a breeder may be tough. If I can find one I'll post some pics!
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/10/15 12:56 PM

Sent you a PM with some info. Good Luck.
Posted By: cdoz35

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/10/15 07:02 PM

I agree with everything said above. I love my boykin. He has a very strong instinct to hunt. If I would spend more time with him than I do training, I have no doubt that he could be an absolute killer dog. He handles the heat of dove season like a champ. Just last week I was shredding parts of the dove field at 2 in the afternoon, and he ran beside the tractor up a down the field for over two hours. As stated above if the temperature is too far below freezing I will not take him waterfowl hunting. Just doesn't have the thick coat to handle it too well. Although I have had him out on a few hunts where the water in his coat froze. I had to get mine from a breeder in SC, if you want one from Texas you better be willing to wait for a few years. Feel free to PM me with any questions, or I can give you my number. I am always more than willing to talk dogs.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/11/15 02:09 AM

Yes most likely will take finding one outside of Texas.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/11/15 04:19 AM

Got a buddy that I hunt with weekly and he has a Boykin. She's awesome. Great family dog and great hunting dog.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/11/15 01:26 PM

Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/11/15 09:00 PM

Loving the pictures!

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/12/15 02:10 PM

She's not a Boykin but looks like one
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/13/15 08:18 PM

SallySue, is she a French Brittany?

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/13/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Jeem
SallySue, is she a French Brittany? She's a
Deutscher Wachtelhund

Re: Anyone out there hunting with a Boykin? - 09/13/15 08:46 PM

[img]http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/sallysue11/th_VIDEO0065_zps1eec8b70.mp4[/img]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum