Texas Hunting Forum

Choke's for Teal Hunting

Posted By: 4Weight

Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/08/15 10:15 PM

Going on my first early season teal hunt the last week of the season. Interesting read in F&S this month on chokes for teal. The writer said he likes skeet choke for decoying teal. What do some of you guys think and thanks in advance.

4W
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/08/15 10:21 PM

I prefer Improved Cylinder
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/08/15 11:55 PM

IC Trulock is what I use to drop them.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 01:32 AM

IC and 4, 5 or 6 shot depending on how well you decoy them and/or what type of shots you want to take.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 01:41 AM

I use IC #4 shot on all ducks all season. Just keep your shots under 45 yards.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 01:42 AM

For teal skeet
For big ducks ic or patternmaster duck
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 02:08 AM

I use IM for everything bird.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 02:29 AM

don't over complicated it, screw in something with more than 30 thousandths of constriction and use the same choke for 0-60yds
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
don't over complicated it, screw in something with more than 30 thousandths of constriction and use the same choke for 0-60yds

haha, yup
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:19 AM

full... always full
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:40 AM

Full is what I've Been having good luck with myself
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 12:03 PM

Lot depends on load. Cheap steel loads- tighten up- teal or decoying- skeet or ic. There was an article in wildfowl that compared 3.5 #3 vs 3 inch #3 loads. Interesting conclusion. The 3 inch loads patterned significantly better than 3.5 inch.
Posted By: Imaguide

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 02:07 PM

I will and have been shooting a Briley SK w/ 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz # 6s for teal. As the 16 days wear on I will go to a Briley LM. Its most important to shoot whatever you have the most confidence in and paterns well in your gun. Remember its the Indian not the arrow.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 02:15 PM

Skeet if your shooting teal steel seems to work pretty well,IC if your shooting #4 or larger. Just remember every gun shoots its own pattern so get out and check your shotguns pattern before the season gets here

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 02:15 PM

FULL
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:24 PM

Assuming your definition of decoying teal is shooting at birds sitting in or buzzing dekes at 20 yards or less, a skeet or a cylinder choke works great on teal.

A wide pattern at short distances is what I prefer. Shooting a pattern of shot the size of a 50 cent piece or a softball at a fast moving object that's in your face is difficult for most folks, myself included.
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:32 PM

I normally just have my mod choke in and never change it but I think for teal IC works too. I like to use #4 2 3/4" loads but really I normally just shoot whatever I have..which is normally 3" #3 shot.

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
Assuming your definition of decoying teal is shooting at birds sitting in or buzzing dekes at 20 yards or less, a skeet or a cylinder choke works great on teal.

A wide pattern at short distances is what I prefer. Shooting a pattern of shot the size of a 50 cent piece or a softball at a fast moving object that's in your face is difficult for most folks, myself included.

im sure it is for most
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 03:43 PM

The most open choke you have. For me that's IC (wish I had a Skeet tube)
Posted By: kweber

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 04:53 PM

^ yup...
I have a less than pretty 1100 skeet barrel I got cheap a few yrs ago...
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 05:26 PM

Keep in mind steel shot typically patterns one choke size tighter than similar sized lead shot.

fwiw, I use an old school screw-in PolyChoke II on one of my shotguns and it works very well. It will shoot a wide spreader choke pattern all the way up to extra full for turkey. You can find them used at a substantial discount on eBay or at Cabelas Bargain Cave.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Going on my first early season teal hunt the last week of the season. Interesting read in F&S this month on chokes for teal. The writer said he likes skeet choke for decoying teal. What do some of you guys think and thanks in advance.

4W

I think whatever choke patterned in the weapon the best is what you should choose to use.

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Originally Posted By: 4Weight

4W

I think whatever choke patterned in the weapon the best is what you should choose to use.

And whichever one you shoot the best with
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Choke's for Teal Hunting - 09/09/15 08:44 PM

Sounds good guys and thanks for the feedback from all of you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum