Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressed Dove hunting.

Posted By: Texaslawman

Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 02:13 AM

Silencer Shop sent me the Silencerco Salvo 12 for opening weekend of Texas Dove season. We had an awesome hunt limiting out within 30 minutes everyday.

The suppressor is light for its size, but you will notice it on the end of your barrel. Saying that it does not take long for you to forget the weight and it did not effect shooting negatively. I used it on two different shotguns both semi autos one with the traditional hunting 26" barrel and bead front sight, and a tactical style shotgun with 18.5" barrel and raised ghost ring sights. I was able to take birds with both shotguns still preferred the 26" barrel for hunting. The salvo seemed to add some effective range to the 18.5" shotgun and it was great for the birds coming into the decoys but felt the pattern was a little spread out for the high flyers. For patterns I was told to go one size choke tighter than normal so a modified choke was used.

As most know dove season is more of a social gathering than anything. On the first mornings hunt everyone spreads out to get their limits but it does not take long for hunters to gather on someones tailgate and this is where I found the suppressed shotgun to shine it was not unpleasant at all to have someone shooting it next to you as you told old hunting and fishing stories, I will definitely be adding one to my kit soon!

Here is a short video from the weekend.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 03:44 AM

Great video
Great music.
Its not an official silencer, which, as you know, are illegal on migratory birds.
Personally i prefer the www.metrogun.com way better. Much better balance, better pattern on short and long distance and more durable. Which load are you using? Metrofield federals?
Great video though
Posted By: REQ

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 04:12 AM

Looks good! Were you at wind walker
Posted By: SaintsReturn

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 05:11 AM

This was a great video! Thank you
Posted By: bermise

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 11:25 AM

Ear plugs work for me
Posted By: muddyz

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 12:49 PM

Excellent video!

Beav quit pimping the metro gun. Nobody wants one.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: muddyz
Excellent video!

Beav quit pimping the metro gun. Nobody wants one.

sure
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/07/15 06:51 PM

15 dove in 30 minutes???
The kidding around was pretty much over when y'all loaded up!
Well done.
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: Suppressed Dove hunting. - 09/09/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Great video
Great music.
Its not an official silencer, which, as you know, are illegal on migratory birds.
Personally i prefer the www.metrogun.com way better. Much better balance, better pattern on short and long distance and more durable. Which load are you using? Metrofield federals?
Great video though

Its a NFA item, suppressor and it is legal had a few GW with me. Not sure about the metrogun never used one but the pattern, balance, and build on this suppressor was excellent. I used several different loads and brands Remington, Winchester, Rio, Federal, 7 1/2, 8 shot, standard and heavy loads with no issues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum