Texas Hunting Forum

Game Warden visit

Posted By: Espy

Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:14 PM

Was dove hunting in Falls county when the game warden paid us a visit. One hunter left his license in his truck got it and all was good. Game warden was very professional. had a very good visit. Did any of yall get checked and how did it go.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:16 PM

We havenf been checked yet, I even called my local warden and told him where we would be.

Glad you had a pleasant experience
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:18 PM

These guys got checked. ;-)

http://kfor.com/2015/09/01/dove-blind-bust-script/
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:42 PM

^^^
Quote:
I’ve never seen a case where they start early, have 50 extra dove, bait a field, hunt out of a marijuana blind.

roflmao
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Those are a special kind of stupid.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 02:53 PM

Okies
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 03:14 PM

we got checked but we expected to. area we hunt is heavily checked on by GW's. checked plugs and licenses and shot the bull a bit. very courteous.... not like the other GW we have out there.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 03:20 PM

roflmao
Posted By: ProneOutfitters

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 03:22 PM

That's gotta be a first!
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 03:32 PM

In the area I hunt in the game wardens don't check me. I check them.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 03:55 PM

Got checked. All went well. Watched her write a bunch of tickets. No plug, no hunters safety card/certification, wrong license. It amazes me how many people get written up for the dumbest mistakes.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 04:00 PM

We have a very good GW here in Stephens county. That being said, he will write a ticket. When he was new he gave a lot of warning the first year. The second year he came to me and said the uppers have told him he needs to write more tickets and less warning. He come by and told me this before season and told me to tell all my guys to be sure and be legal. I tell all my hunters that he will come by and for them to check their Plug, Hunter Safety and HIP cert. One of my guys got a ticket for no Hunter safety. If they get a ticket, It's on them.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
^^^
Quote:
I’ve never seen a case where they start early, have 50 extra dove, bait a field, hunt out of a marijuana blind.

roflmao

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: gacman
In the area I hunt in the game wardens don't check me. I check them.

Are you Chuck Norris?
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 05:04 PM

Dealt with the GW at Stompy's place a few times. Super nice guy, even encourages you to keep hunting while he checks your partner. Most of the time no one would shoot; limited the number of witnesses to missed shots! scared
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 05:23 PM

We had the police show up. They watched us at the gate for 15 minutes and then left. It turns out some joggers placed a call. rofl

Landowner says happens every year.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 06:27 PM

Got checked for the 1st time in over 10 years yesterday. When I saw 1 one the game wardens taking the barrel off my buddies shotgun I was thinking, oh no, no plug in gun. But saw warden take out a plug. Come to find out, buddies gun is a winchester and he had a remington plug in it, 4th shell went in. Guess winchester has a longer magazine tube. Buddy pleaded his case and GW was cool, put a pencil in there and said need to check it next time you plug a gun, don't assume. That was that. Told him dude we're luckier than chit, good thing no deputy do right showed up.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 08:09 PM

Got checked yesterday afternoon. All of our stuff was in order. In and out quick. Very courteous and we shook hands. All our group checked out fine as expected.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
^^^
Quote:

roflmao

roflmao roflmao

Is there an award for stupidity? They would get my vote.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
We have a very good GW here in Stephens county. That being said, he will write a ticket. When he was new he gave a lot of warning the first year. The second year he came to me and said the uppers have told him he needs to write more tickets and less warning. He come by and told me this before season and told me to tell all my guys to be sure and be legal. I tell all my hunters that he will come by and for them to check their Choke, Hunter Safety and HIP cert. One of my guys got a ticket for no Hunter safety. If they get a ticket, It's on them.

Yep, he is always around, and knows where the hot fields are.
Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 10:49 PM

.............. to check their Choke,

Choke? Did you mean Plug?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/02/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder
.............. to check their Choke,

Choke? Did you mean Plug?

Yes, sorry..
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
We had the police show up. They watched us at the gate for 15 minutes and then left. It turns out some joggers placed a call. rofl

Landowner says happens every year.

Police?

You hunting pigeons in the city?
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 05:57 PM

If you are hauling a 4 wheeler west on 380 you can expect a visit from the game warden. I passed two yesterday on the way back to Dallas...they weren't checking fields.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 06:18 PM

We get checked in Comal County every year by a Warden that is a complete turd. We are always legal and it seems to tick him off.
But he didn't show up this year. It was almost disappointing, he adds a bit of spark to opening day.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 06:24 PM

Is it illegal to have beer/be drinking when they show up to check you?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 06:34 PM

That's really not that odd up there
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/04/15 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

no
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/05/15 12:57 AM

It's legal and recommended. It helps to take the edge off if the GW is a jerk. grin
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/05/15 03:12 AM

We have a very good GW here in Stephens county. That being said, he will write a ticket. When he was new he gave a lot of warning the first year. The second year he came to me and said the uppers have told him he needs to write more tickets and less warning. He come by and told me this before season and told me to tell all my guys to be sure and be legal. I tell all my hunters that he will come by and for them to check their Plug, Hunter Safety and HIP cert. One of my guys got a ticket for no Hunter safety. If they get a ticket, It's on them.
Westbrook is a good GW to deal with.

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/05/15 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Westbrook is a good GW to deal with.

I'll second that. Great guy to just sit around and shoot the bull with.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/05/15 04:18 AM

Just guilty of bad judgement if handling firearms.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/05/15 01:23 PM

I heard stories about rude overzealous game wardens, but I've never been checked by one that acted that way. The ones I've met have always been courteous, and friendly.
Posted By: PoppaG22

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/06/15 05:43 AM

by plugs do you mean ear plugs? Amateur hunter question... but do you mean it's illegal to hunt without plugs? Also I ordered my license online, is it good enough to show a game warden a confirmation email so I don't have to wait to receive it?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/06/15 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
If you are hauling a 4 wheeler west on 380 you can expect a visit from the game warden. I passed two yesterday on the way back to Dallas...they weren't checking fields.

But if the see any illegal alien doing stuff wrong they will turn a blind eye

Funny how they target US citizens
Posted By: Espy

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/06/15 11:14 AM

The plug is what goes in the magazine of your shotgun. If the shotgun only holds 3 shells one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine you are good for some dove. If you printed the online license and have it with you it will work till your license comes in. Make sure you are hip certified(should say it on the license) and have your hunters ed.
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 03:54 PM

Checked opening morning. First time I've ever been check at this place in 10 or so years hunting it. The birds were not flying anyway and we were pretty much done when they came. We already started drinking beer at that point. No issues.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 04:06 PM

Got checked by the warden at Alazan WMA today. Super nice guy. First time I've ever been checked while hunting.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 04:29 PM

Grayson County used to have one of the worst back in the 70-80's... He would be going crazy with the internet today, could look up offenders all year. Can't remember his name but would recognize it if I heard it.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Just guilty of bad judgement if handling firearms.

Plus if the cops stop you and you had one to much and there is a gun in your car, i would imagine that would be pretty bad news for ya
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 04:44 PM

Had two blokes this morning shooting from the bed of their truck.

Big ol nono
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Big ol nono

Is that illegal if you are parked in the field where you are hunting?
Posted By: clint623

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: samtx
Also I ordered my license online, is it good enough to show a game warden a confirmation email so I don't have to wait to receive it?

I also ordered my license and didn't print off the temporary. I called legal dept. at TPWD and they said that if I have my emailed receipt then I would have no problem, because it has a breakdown of everything I bought. Also, the GW can look up and see whether or not you have your hunter Ed.
Posted By: clint623

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 05:10 PM

Big ol nono

Never heard of that rule. I always thought that as long as it's off and in park. Kinda of like hunting out of a boat ( engine off and anchor must be out)

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 05:21 PM

I met one in Bosque Co. this morning. Nice guy - he checked me, we shot the breeze for a few minutes, and that was it.

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: clint623

Big ol nono

Never heard of that rule. I always thought that as long as it's off and in park. Kinda of like hunting out of a boat ( engine off and anchor must be out)

Nope they can write ticket if you are sitting on the tailgate and shooting. It's stupid but they can.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Big ol nono

Is that illegal if you are parked in the field where you are hunting?

technically, yes because the law states no hunting from a vehicle... most Wardens over-look it as long as the truck is parked... some interpret the rules verbatim, tho.
it'd be up to the Judge.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 06:07 PM

also, I've never came across a TPWD officer who was not courteous and pleasant...
several have told us to keep shooting while they were checking lic. plugs, etc.
cant say the same for USFG crowd, tho...
they treat everyone as guilty first, till proven other-wise...
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker

Big ol nono

Nope they can write ticket if you are sitting on the tailgate and shooting. It's stupid but they can.

That includes ATV and Polaris. If u have a bench up top on your quail rig....big Nono.

Saw a Jackarse driving a field stirring up birds for his hunters- sure he was bringing them water- long route
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/07/15 09:21 PM

Big ol nono

You don't even have the boat part right.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 01:22 AM

Got checked by two in Collin county. In and out. It felt weird showing him an email. He said I was the first one that did my hip correct that he checked
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 02:01 AM

How did you do your hip correctly?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:00 AM

GW showed up at our place Friday night. As always, a very pleasant visit. He is always courteous and professional. I was cleaning that evenings kills in the sink and he asked to count them. He counted them twice, questioned me and we walked outside and shot the bull for a bit. He went to each camper and spoke with each member, checked our license and then went on his way.

Our GW's over the last 10-15 have been truly good people. They have wrote a few tickets over the years and I typically see them 3-5 times a year. Always polite and respectful. This one has been there 4 years I believe and hope he sticks around.

The one in the late 90's was a turd peep
Posted By: SaintsReturn

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:04 AM

Funny enough, we had a GW drive by our place Saturday morning. He stopped on the road, saw my partner take a dove and then drove off. Never got out or anything. Wonder if he got a call or something...
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:07 AM

no visits yet and hope it remains that way. All of this "checking" of license, plugs, toxic shot, etc and with what kind of probably cause the majority of the time??? none Do police stop cars just to see if the driver has a license? no, they are required to have probable cause to make a stop. But the again I did forget game wardens are special.
Posted By: Squirrel Sniper

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 11:17 AM

They have a job to do.Can you imagine what it'd be like if there weren't any GW?Just be legal and don't worry about it.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 11:52 AM

another question saw some kids the next field over on 4 wheelers going thru the fields kicking up birds for there buds after they had stopped flying and later saw the same kids on private roads shooting of the 4 wheeler while moving next to the dove fields all this was taking place on private property and private roads was not sure if we should call the GW or not? so we let it slide
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
no visits yet and hope it remains that way. All of this "checking" of license, plugs, toxic shot, etc and with what kind of probably cause the majority of the time??? none Do police stop cars just to see if the driver has a license? no, they are required to have probable cause to make a stop. But the again I did forget game wardens are special.

Are you the guy that shoots 2 minutes before shooting time and then tries to say your watch is off? Or mud stomps a spoonie because you weren't smart enough not to shoot it? Or drives your 4 wheeler on public land because you "didn't see a sign"? I really enjoy watching you get checked by the wardens, and encourage it up

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 12:09 PM

Who didn't do that as a kid?

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter

Are you the guy that shoots 2 minutes before shooting time and then tries to say your watch is off? Or mud stomps a spoonie because you weren't smart enough not to shoot it? Or drives your 4 wheeler on public land because you "didn't see a sign"? I really enjoy watching you get checked by the wardens, and encourage it up

So freedom loving Americans are automatically considered law violators.

Lock step comrade.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 01:49 PM

Esh and Hattie hates freedom and america

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:12 PM

Well freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose and nothing don't mean nothing if it ain't free.

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:35 PM

I'd rather be busted flat in Baton Rouge waiting on a train feeling nearly as faded as my jeans than live in a land of no freedom where illegal search and seizure is the norm
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:37 PM

So which one of you two is sleeping with Bobby McCgee?
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 03:56 PM

We got checked at our dove lease, one guy left lic in truck and G/W gave him the chance to retrieve it and was all good and he was a very nice guy .A big Thank's to the G/W's out there doing what they do !!!

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
So which one of you two is sleeping with Bobby McCgee?

this is a loaded question
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 06:20 PM

nah I'm all for freedom, I'd just rather people not be morons while hunting and try and skirt the laws. I do think pulling over 4 wheelers on the highway is ridiculous. But out in the field, we all signed up for that one
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Game Warden visit - 09/08/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
nah I'm all for freedom, I'd just rather people not be morons while hunting and try and skirt the laws. I do think pulling over 4 wheelers on the highway is ridiculous. But out in the field, we all signed up for that one

We did? Even in our private field?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum