Texas Hunting Forum

Worst opener ever

Posted By: Sader762

Worst opener ever - 09/01/15 11:40 PM

This has been my worst opener yet. Two birds to shoot at,
3 shots, 2 birds in the bag. Morning and afternoon hunts.

Hunting near Coolidge
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/01/15 11:44 PM

Yep it was below expectations, but at the end of the day, it was nice to just be out there.

I think Saturday I'm going to stay home and finish up some outdoor projects. Then get the rest of the hunting gear pulled out.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/01/15 11:52 PM

At least you were there. I had to work.
Posted By: clint623

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:29 AM

I'm out here aT chapel hill. Saw 2 birds, got one. But lots of people shooting around in other fields
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:40 AM

Limited easy in uvalde
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:42 AM

Our cresson lease was Sloooooooooow.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:50 AM

We had a fun time and shot really well! Ended up w 35 between 4 of us.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 01:03 AM

Glad you guys got to go out. I saw my first birds out here this evening, normally would see hundreds at a time the last 2 weeks of August. Not sure why the lack of birds - looks to be at least a couple of weeks until a front pushes the northern wings our way.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 01:20 AM

We hunted Haskell, this AM. 4 of us (2) limited out (2) were real close. We were cleaning by 9:45.
Most of the other groups were at limit or close to it.
I Love hunting West Texas, but the drive back is a whipping.
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 01:46 AM

Only saw 2 birds here, worst I have seen in years....
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:05 AM

Northwest of Sanger I saw more birds than I have ever seen in that area. After the lack of birds last year, it was really good to see them.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:46 AM

CenTex sucked!
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:51 AM

Saw a couple way off. No shots fired between the three of us. Near Dayton.
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:19 AM

Limited with 45 minutes to spare. If all my shells would have had shot in em i would have been done an hour earlier.. west of odessa..
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 04:54 AM

Reports are- further west- most success- worst opener in 20 years. We all shot between 5-7 birds- 6 guns. Coleman. Expectations low. We have limited 15+ years in row in Haskell. Was very little feed in most of county.

Hunted w 5 of my best friends. Would have shot more birds at my places hour form big D.

Great day. Good warm up for dogs
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 11:13 AM

The front pin of my 870 shotgun came out an I lost it in the brush. As soon as that happened the birds were coming in left and right.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 11:57 AM

Lots of birds, lots of shots, not many hit.LOL. Birds were really good, afternoon hunt got cut in half because of a pop up shower. Bout to head out now, later!!!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
At least you were there. I had to work.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:38 PM

Early afternoon was slow. But it picked up late and 15 of us limited with an hour left near Hondo. Guys I hunted with said it was worst in years but it was fine with me.

Going to Big Lake Friday. It should be incredible there.
Posted By: Drop 1

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:47 PM

North Texas was slammed packed about 4:00 , couldn't keep the gun loaded. At 4:30 it drug up pretty slow with small sets flying up in the stratosphere wearing flak jackets and oxygen masks. Dad and I did decent

Timing seemed way early
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:48 PM

One of my worst hunts. Saw very few birds and took even fewer shots. Reports from the people I talked to were the same.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Humannpower
The front pin of my 870 shotgun came out an I lost it in the brush. As soon as that happened the birds were coming in left and right.

One of mine hasn't had a bead on it in years, thought about replacing it but meh I don't use it anyway. Both eyes open don't "aim" a shotgun.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:14 PM

Only saw 3 dove the whole morning (40 acres - east of Valley View) - at least I got 1!
Glad I only had to drive 30 min out.

Soon as I got home in Denton @ lunchtime - saw 6 dove sitting on powerline above my garden mad

Posted By: Espy

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:21 PM

Hunted in Falls county in the morning and Bell county in the evening. slow in both places. A friend limited out 5 miles from where I was hunting in the morning bang Gonna try another spot this evening.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 02:55 PM

Hunted a good sized sunflower patch west of Gatesville. Set up by a big dead hackberry tree on a cross fence and limited in about an hour. Young and dumb birds for the most part. I had a couple of groups head in towards the tree and I'd shoot one and the others would still light in the tree above my head. They wouldn't fly until I stood up to go get the dead one. Good times!

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

One of mine hasn't had a bead on it in years, thought about replacing it but meh I don't use it anyway. Both eyes open don't "aim" a shotgun.

I'm talking about the pin that holds the trigger plate in the shotgun.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:39 PM

Off work at 4:30 pm and had limit by 5:45 pm. Only took 1 box of shells(rare for me) and going again Thursday after work. Looking good south of Odessa/Midland.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:44 PM

Went out this morning and saw 1. Poor fella must have been lost. Even though he was far off, I attempted to get his attention with 3 shots. Just outside of property a guy had approx. 30 huge WW's in his driveway. They looked too fat to even fly. bang
Posted By: aggiegadwall

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:57 PM

Had awesome opener in Haskell. Had over 150 hunters each day and if they didn't get a limit it wasn't for lack of birds!!!!
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 03:59 PM

Limit in Haslet in the morning. Drove up to check a field in Leonard in the evening and didn't see a bird.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 04:10 PM

Friend and I hit field in Waller I've been hunting for about 10-12 years, always had good openers, not yesterday, kept waiting for em to fly but they didn't come. Each got 2 birds, 1 of mine was a pigeon, so meat wise it counts as 3-1/2 grin

Went to friends house in Brookshire, I got 5 and friend I brought got 6. Think 27 were shot over there total in evening out of 6 guns. Think weather played a big role in the numbers.
Posted By: duckhunter888

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 05:30 PM

Very slow opener in Eastland area.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 05:53 PM

at least you could still shoot. I was out a few years ago and they were swarming a small sunflower batch that I was in the middle of. After about 10 shots the firing pin on my 870 broke.

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
at least you could still shoot. I was out a few years ago and they were swarming a small sunflower batch that I was in the middle of. After about 10 shots the firing pin on my 870 broke.

The bead didn't break. It was the front pin that holds the receiver in the shotgun. So I could no longer shoot.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 07:18 PM

Limited out yesterday afternoon, on my way back there.
Was great yesterday, hopefully as good this afternoon
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/02/15 07:52 PM

Two days, two limits around DFW. Had to scout a lot but luckily found a few.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 01:01 PM

Took all day to get limits in Robertson Co. Was a far cry from last years numbers on the opener
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 01:10 PM

Had good hunts near Tuscola. I missed the morning hunt on opening day, but got a limit in the afternoon. Yesterday, I hunted the morning and got a limit. Had a good time with my dad, although it was short. My drive to and from was longer than the hunting time!
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 02:21 PM

ya grandbury was very slow. had a guy a few fields away that got a few just cause he was on fresh cut sunflowers but we saw maybe 15 and only had 3 shots. Got 0. Still had fun and was nice to relax
Posted By: EcKo sHoT

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac
Friend and I hit field in Waller I've been hunting for about 10-12 years, always had good openers, not yesterday, kept waiting for em to fly but they didn't come. Each got 2 birds, 1 of mine was a pigeon, so meat wise it counts as 3-1/2 grin

Went to friends house in Brookshire, I got 5 and friend I brought got 6. Think 27 were shot over there total in evening out of 6 guns. Think weather played a big role in the numbers.

I had a crappy opening in Waller also. I hunted the morning and night and only got 4 birds. I am going to Brookshire near the airport and hopefully do better
Posted By: STEW

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 10:30 PM

I was in Justin,TX for the opener and I may have seen a total of 10 birds. I hope this weekend will be better
Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 10:45 PM

I hunted our group in Clay county and we all shot limits or if they didn't it was because they ran out of shells, I know of a couple hunters I sold an extra "case" of shells, and they still couldn't limit! confused2

Had roughly 30 shooters. Ended with roughly 400+/- birds...still plenty around for good hunting this weekend.

Only hunted one of the 4 properties so left 3 fields untouched for this weekend! up

GREAT Times @ www.kentoutdoors.com

Take Care,

J.J.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac

sleep

cry cry
Same here..Two of us got only 4 doves in whole day from Waller.How do you see this week end.???
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/03/15 11:14 PM

Obviously spotty - had a buddy hunt in Waller yesterday and they shot a 10 man limit - course they're full of shat half the time
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/04/15 01:02 AM

Had a good opener just outside Archer City. Worked until 3 and got to the lease at about 5:30, was limited out by 7 and had my brother on his first hunt. He ended up with 5 birds. Not terrible. Wednesday was slower. Only got 2 in the morning and the evening almost finished my limit. Giving a couple days rest and will be out there for the Sunday morning hunt. Evenings seem to be the ticket on my place for the past few years
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/04/15 02:56 AM

This has been my best opener

Lots of preps, scouts and whatnots

Avoid craigslist, do the work, and it will pay off

3 days and 3 limits so far. Alarm set at 5:45

Cant wait
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/04/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: boonee
We hunted Haskell, this AM. 4 of us (2) limited out (2) were real close. We were cleaning by 9:45.
Most of the other groups were at limit or close to it.
I Love hunting West Texas, but the drive back is a whipping.

Just got back from Haskell yesterday afternoon. Three days, three limits. There were birds everywhere there was water and sunflowers.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/04/15 04:17 PM

Hunted out west of Graham. Lots of sunflowers this year and tons of birds!
Posted By: pervis

Re: Worst opener ever - 09/04/15 05:27 PM

Haskell at my place smashed em yesterday evening and this am. Bought my own place and love it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum