Texas Hunting Forum

Decoy Painting Help

Posted By: GigEmAggies

Decoy Painting Help - 07/29/15 03:22 AM

Need some advice guys. I recently bought the Flambeau mallard decoy paint kit to spruce up my mallards. Before I started painting I scrubbed the decoys down with soap and hot water and let the dry. After I got done painting I left them out overnight to dry. The next morning I sprayed them all down with Krylon Matte Finish hoping to get a good protective coat. That night I get them together (they're Texas rigged) and went to hang them up down in the shop. When I hung them up I noticed a lot of the paint was already scuffing up and rubbing off onto the other decoys. At that rate they wouldn't last more than a couple hunts. Any tips on what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/29/15 11:14 AM

Yes Sir. Sell them for a buck a decoy and go buy new. Buy G and H and never worry about painting decoys again.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/29/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Yes Sir. Sell them for a buck a decoy and go buy new. Buy G and H and never worry about painting decoys again.
And you will be the proud owner of some of the least realistic looking decoys on the market.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/29/15 03:10 PM

Use a primer
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/29/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
And you will be the proud owner of some of the least realistic looking decoys on the market.

second that
Posted By: Littlejr13

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/30/15 02:17 AM

Go buy Avian X and never look back!
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 07/31/15 02:20 PM

Isn't the UVision stuff an oil based paint? If so, your mistake was probably related to not allowing enough time to dry and/or putting that Krylon crap on top of it.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 08/01/15 02:57 AM

You needed to use a degreaser not soap. Then don't handle them without rubber gloves on until your done. The oil on your hands will cause the paint not to stick well. I repainted about a 100 plastics 10 years ago and the paint is still on them although I don't know how since I used the krylon crap confused2
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 08/01/15 06:18 PM

Your putting too much thought into it, by the time the ducks are close enough to tell they should be dead. For years we hunted over unpainted decoys back when you could buy them real cheap, not anymore, I like pretty decoys too.
Decoys and duck calls are like fishing lures, mostly made to entice the sportsman more than the actual game.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Decoy Painting Help - 08/01/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

second that

I like the way they look....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum